Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Are there any wide angle with non-massive distortion?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:07 am    Post subject: Are there any wide angle with non-massive distortion? Reply with quote

I'm looking for something with the optical quality like a Tokina 11-16 ( which can be done but it cost 3k) but manual. What are my options? Too hard to find good super ultra wide angle with not much distortion.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:20 am    Post subject: Re: Are there any wide angle with non-massive distortion? Reply with quote

Victor Nguyen wrote:
I'm looking for something with the optical quality like a Tokina 11-16 ( which can be done but it cost 3k) but manual. What are my options? Too hard to find good super ultra wide angle with not much distortion.

note: Tokina 11-16 is only USD 750 new, not 3K

In the Zeiss camp there are lots of very low distortion lenses. Zeiss 2.8/15, 3.5/18, 2.8/21 all have very low distortion but they're all fairly expensive. 21 is said to be the best of the 3. If you're looking something cheaper try the Distagon 4/18 in Contax mount if you can live with f/4. If you're looking for something even cheaper that has almost dead zero distortion, look into the old Flektogon 4/20 or 2.8/20. But they're not extremely sharp wide open from what I hear.

Stay tuned also for the new Samyang 10mm, no word on the distortion yet.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is 3.45k to be modded into a manual lens.
http://www.ducloslenses.com/products/duclos-11-16mm

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3.45k for that is pretty stupid, then again, Zeiss and Cooke PL mount lenses are rather more expensive.

If you are shooting a wide angle lens wide open I think it's better to re-assess technique than find a better lens.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
3.45k for that is pretty stupid, then again, Zeiss and Cooke PL mount lenses are rather more expensive.

Duclos 11-16 is a full cine mod, are you absolutely looking for (1) a cine mod, and (2) in PL mount?
Or are you after a fully-manual photographic lens that will fit your Canon/Nikon?

If the latter, the Zeiss ZE/ZF series are all about half the price of that 3.45k, and Zeiss Contax for even less.

If you want HDSLR cine lens on a budget, putting zip-tie focus gear on a Zeiss photo lens will actually work very decently for 99% of amateur cine work. Never tried to de-click a Zeiss aperture but I found it extremely easy to DIY de-click various other lenses with some care.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what zeiss contax wide angle are there? I'm looking for something wider than 20mm

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Are there any wide angle with non-massive distortion? Reply with quote

wuxiekeji wrote:
Victor Nguyen wrote:

In the Zeiss camp there are lots of very low distortion lenses. Zeiss 2.8/15, 3.5/18, 2.8/21 all have very low distortion but they're all fairly expensive. 21 is said to be the best of the 3. If you're looking something cheaper try the Distagon 4/18 in Contax mount if you can live with f/4. If you're looking for something even cheaper that has almost dead zero distortion, look into the old Flektogon 4/20 or 2.8/20. But they're not extremely sharp wide open from what I hear.

Stay tuned also for the new Samyang 10mm, no word on the distortion yet.

My Flek 20 2.8 s quite soft wide open ,improves clearly after 4 and very good at 8-11 . Maybe other copies are better. I've seen that the Exacta mount flektogons were a little cheaper than the M42 ones .But it seemes that with the mirrorless bodies , the prices grew up.
I got mine with 120 E , it's a MC version.

Flektogon 20/2.8 wide open ( I suspect that my copy has some "dreamy" effect )
[url=http://forum.mflenses.com/userpix/201210/big_3499_IMG_4962_1.jpg]
[/url]

At f8 (If I remember corectly ) :

another very good wide lens is Tokina 17 / 3.5 , or , cheaper , the vivitar 17/3.5 , but i can't say that the distorsion is in the same league as Flektogon. But it's not monstruos

Vivitar 17mm :

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've owned three copies of the Flek 20/2.8. All were super sharp in the middle, but had poor corners and sides all the way down until tiny apertures. I've just bought a Distagon 18/4 but haven't tried it yet (doesn't work on my 5D).

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Vivitar (Tokina) 17mm has a lot distortion in the 1.5x APS-C extreme corners but not much in the center, distortion overall is not eye-catching for normal use. But for large printed architecture it's no very well usable.

My Biogon 28/2.8 Contax G is a great lens with very low distortion and it's comparable cheap, but it can't be adapeted to DSLRs (only NEX, MFT,..)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pentax SMC 3.5/15. Supposed to be the same recipe as the Zeiss one. But can be had a lot cheaper. (practically) no distortion.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

propellor wrote:
Pentax SMC 3.5/15. Supposed to be the same recipe as the Zeiss one. But can be had a lot cheaper. (practically) no distortion.

can't seem to find it on ebay...can I buy yours? Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Victor Nguyen wrote:
propellor wrote:

Look keh.com as source too, periodically.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
I've owned three copies of the Flek 20/2.8. All were super sharp in the middle, but had poor corners and sides all the way down until tiny apertures. I've just bought a Distagon 18/4 but haven't tried it yet (doesn't work on my 5D).

Should work fine on your 60D (looking at your signature). I've been a 18/4 on my 60D for a while and it's great. Mine's sharp at f/4 but not spectacular in the microcontrast department until f/8, but for landscape work I can live with f/8.

Being f/4 it's a terrible choice of wide-angle lens for indoor wide-angle action photography, so it may not make a fantastic cine lens, but it's great for the outdoors and for indoor architecture stills where you have the luxury of tripods.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flek 20mm f4 has zero distortion and way cheaper than big names.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:02 am    Post subject: Re: Are there any wide angle with non-massive distortion? Reply with quote

wuxiekeji wrote:
Victor Nguyen wrote:

The Tokina 11-16 can also be switched into manual focus mode.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: Are there any wide angle with non-massive distortion? Reply with quote

RnR wrote:
wuxiekeji wrote:

The Tokina 11-16 can also be switched into manual focus mode.

Ofcourse it can be switch into manual mode, but is it a manual lens? I like switching camera bodies around and what happen when I switch from Canon? Just wondering, anybody have the new Zeiss 15mm f 2.8?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sigma 12-24 has relatively low distortion when you get in the middle ranges:

http://www.photozone.de/canon_eos_ff/676-sigma1224f4556iiff?start=1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plasticmotif wrote:
Sigma 12-24 has relatively low distortion when you get in the middle ranges:

http://www.photozone.de/canon_eos_ff/676-sigma1224f4556iiff?start=1

it's variable and manual two things that I hate the most. Seems like I'm just gonna have to stick to my 24mm for now.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Are there any wide angle with non-massive distortion? Reply with quote

Victor Nguyen wrote:

A certain amount of distortion is unavoidable in that type of lens.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Victor Nguyen wrote:
propellor wrote:

Hhhmmmm, let me think about it,...................sorry, can't let go of it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

propellor wrote:

Hhhmmmm, let me think about it,...................sorry, can't let go of it.

I recommend you think over your answer a little longer, or I'm gonna make an offer you can't refuse. Cool

Laughing anyway, I looked that lens up in KEH I believe and it was around $1000. It's kinda slow for a $1000 lens though Sad

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CZJ 4/20 mm

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I apologize Attila, I didn't read you. Embarassed

Very Happy Very Happy

The 4/20 CZJ is underrated but it's a very good lens, well used.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best geometry corrected wide angle lenses are those made for rangefinder cameras by herr Carl Zeiss (well, his heirs actually) in Oberkochen:
- ZM Biogon 2/35
- ZM Biogon 2.8/25
- ZM C Biogon 4.5/21
Those three lenses have virtually zero distortion (the 2/35 being as close to zero as lensesly possible).
Of course in order to use those you need either a rangefinder camera or an EVIL compatible camera such as Nex.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sonyrokkor wrote:
I apologize Attila, I didn't read you. Embarassed

Very Happy Very Happy

The 4/20 CZJ is underrated but it's a very good lens, well used.

Nobody else read it too Laughing never mind.