Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nikkormat FT2
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 10:21 pm    Post subject: Nikkormat FT2 Reply with quote

A gift from a fellow member who wanted just the lens, not the camera/flash:

micro-Nikkor 3.5/55, pre-AI

finally the rabbit ears make sense

Cleaned and installed light seals/felt hinge pad, mirror foam looked OK. Doesn't
look like meter works, but will use the Gossen Digisix, since it's a mechanical
shutter.

Got the lens for $60 plus 3 filters, have a roll of KG100 loaded, will see what
happens...

Thanks, Klaus! Smile

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's about all the kit one needs, or at least I would need. The Micro Nikkor is an awesome lens, and the Nikkormat brings me right back to '65-66 when my mom brought one back from Japan - it was the meterless model, which now is collectible I see.

Well, I haven't recreated the hi-fi I grew up on from in utero: mono Quad tuner preamp and amp (all tubes of course) via 300 ohm wire (the tweak wire of the late 50's) into a large reflex Tannoy coax speaker. I don't know if I'll recreate my mom's Nikon.

But I certainly want to see your results, Bill.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Jussi, since this is bascially meterless, I guess it's collectible, too. Smile I did use
a battery I'd taken out of another camera and stored in a zip-lok, will try a fresh battery
to conclusively see. Already love the heft and feel of this camera, and of course have
owned both the 2.8/55 and 3.5/55 Ais/Ai lens models back in my DSLR days.

If anyone knows a go-to guy in the states that works on these old Nikon bodies, LMK, thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally took my second FT2 out for a test, the all-black model. Meter responds to light, but
is way off, so used the Gossen Digisix.

KG100>80, exp 6/91 (another roll from Moira, thanks!)

camera/lens

also a test for the pre-Ai Nikkor-O 35/2

Epson 4490 scans, and used ACDSee Pro 5 that Attila recommended, (thanks, Attila!)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill, the Nikkormat suffers from a strip resistor failing on the aperture coupling circle. I read they're pretty much unobtainable now. It's the the only fault I've ever heard about them having.
Nice pics from a grand old bit of kit - I keep getting urges to buy one to replace my old one (it was the first proper and 'modern' SLR I paid for with my own (bank's) money - brand new, too).

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is subtle, but the Nikkor film look defines, well, at least a quarter century's worth of news and other media. Here the flower pots take me back.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave, thanks, that explains why I haven't had any luck finding a person that works on these
meters. The mechanics, though, are sound, built like a tank, reminiscent of the Nikon F.

Jussi, I bought these FT2s so I could use the old Nikkors on a camera native to when they
were produced. I almost screwed up buying an FT3 till I read the fine print that that camera
uses the Ai/AiS lenses. The black copy I have went for cheap as the screw that attaches the
timer lever was missing. Seller included the lever, found a black screw with the right threads
and for a washer to hold it on used a flute pad washer covered in kid skin from a sax pad. Laughing
Noticed in the photo I need to touch up the leather with a sharpie, some brown showing.

Thanks again, fellas.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just bought this lens:

Click here to see on Ebay

The white spot on the rear element is from his strobe.

Last edited by Katastrofo on Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Results look pretty good to me Bill!! And I can't see any stripes in the images... Wink

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klaus, thanks, I'm looking for the D5000 with fold-out LCD for my old Nikkors. Smile

And I want to thank you for getting me started in the Nikkormat/Nikkor addiction.
One from your camera with the Micro-Nikkor 3.5/55:

expired Kodak film

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Received the 4/20mm Nikkor today, can't wait to try it:

very compact lens, for a 20

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Handsome camera ! Is it Aperture priority?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teo, the meter is shot, so it's a manual-only camera, now. It had the match needle metering for
aperture/shutter settings.