Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

New baby at home...
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:19 pm    Post subject: New baby at home... Reply with quote

This morning I've got a nice surprise.
An office colleague that owns a really big collection of cameras, went to my desk and gave me an small parcel. "It's for you" said Paco.
I opened it, and to my surprise it was a nice Kodak Retinette IA (model 044, from 1963). It has a 45mm f2.8 Schneider-Kreuznach Reomar lens, with a 4-speed Prontor 300S shutter.
Paco has told me: "The lens is loose...". And in fact it's. So my queue grows up...

Now it's time to look for disassembling clues. I see no screws inside as in the Voigtländer Vitoret.

Jes.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Screws hiding under the leatherette....? Wink

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Jes!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Jes
Not only nice but I am sure it have a top lens
btw it is a gift or your friend like a repair Smile

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bob955i wrote:

Not this time, Bob. This one has a lens retainer inside the case that has to be unscrewed to loose the lens...
I just miss a spanner wrench to try it.

Jes.

Last edited by Jesito on Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:46 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Congrats Jes!

Thanks, Attila.

Jes.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
Congrats Jes
Not only nice but I am sure it have a top lens
btw it is a gift or your friend like a repair Smile

Thanks, Poilu. Paco has said the word "gift"... Smile

Jes.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesito wrote:
bob955i wrote:

Not this time, Bob. This one has a lens retainer inside the case that has to be screwed to loose the lens...

Jes.

What about grinding the tips off a set of dividers - that might work instead of a lens spanner.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bob955i wrote:
Jesito wrote:
bob955i wrote:

Not this time, Bob. This one has a lens retainer inside the case that has to be screwed to loose the lens...

Jes.

What about grinding the tips off a set of dividers - that might work instead of a lens spanner.

Thanks for the idea!... I already ordered a set from eBay. I think I'd need them, for this or for any other of the cameras or lenses. I expect to use them intensively Wink
Click here to see on Ebay
What do you think about these?.

Jes.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They look OK Jes - I think MicroTools in Germany sell the same set but I can't recall for how much.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesito wrote:

Let us know what you think of these, as I've heard the Indian ones are a bit soft and lose their edge.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice jes
You are becoming a real hand at rangefinder recovery program. I hope you will have enough time to make some photos as well. The Retina will be quite different from the cameras you have done so far. My experience with them is limited to SLR's. How lucky you are to have such thoughtful collegues at work. Cool

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definately a nice looking camera Jes.

So I guess with a growing queue you will soon be able to give technical assistance based on experience.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jes, just keep on building your retinue! This latest acquisition is a beauty, and I have a soft spot for these old Kodaks with their sharp Schneider-Kreuznach lenses. Congratulations!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Farside wrote:
Jesito wrote:

Let us know what you think of these, as I've heard the Indian ones are a bit soft and lose their edge.

For the price, probably are as you say. I could'n find any better ones...
I'll keep reporting.

Jes.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

F16SUNSHINE wrote:
Nice jes
I hope you will have enough time to make some photos as well.

Andy, "touché"...

F16SUNSHINE wrote:
The Retina will be quite different from the cameras you have done so far. My experience with them is limited to SLR's. How lucky you are to have such thoughtful collegues at work. Cool

Yes, I really am. Not only at work, in this forum as well Wink.

Best regards,
Jes.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

j.lukow wrote:
Definately a nice looking camera Jes.

So I guess with a growing queue you will soon be able to give technical assistance based on experience.

If I keep progressing as by now, maybe I could give a hand someday.
I've just started this funny activity... that is highly rewarding!.

Best regards,
Jes.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurence wrote:
Jes, just keep on building your retinue! This latest acquisition is a beauty, and I have a soft spot for these old Kodaks with their sharp Schneider-Kreuznach lenses. Congratulations!

Thanks, Larry!.
I think fixing it would be easy as soon as I get the wrench. The shutter works smoothly as it does the lens and the diaphragm.
To be really shure of the shutter status I have to finish the shutter speed meter I'm building, based on a phototransistor and connected to the serial port of th PC (by now), although I'm thinking on an autonomous device based on a PIC microcontroller and a LCD display...
I'm really about to finish it, just I need days of 36 or 48 hours (at least).

Best regards.
Jes.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice camera, the lens is a Cooke triplet type so you ought to get quite decent photos. Never mind the shutter accuracy -- modern negative films have so much latitude that it doesn't make much difference if the speeds are one stop off. Remember, these cameras were intended for casual photography and they are most fun that way. Get used to zone focusing, preselect the zone according to the situation you are in, and the zero delay non-focusing will beat most digicam AF systems, which just keep hunting all over the place and finally focus on some random spot well after the critical moment is way past. Correctly used zone focusing never produces those hopelessly out of focus photos which are the bane of the slow AF digicams. ZF photos aren't very often extremely sharp, but at least the people in them are recognizable, and there may even be a little bit more immediacy in these not so perfect photos. Just learn the attitude, this kind of photography can be very relaxing after all the stiff lip pixel pushing - and often strangely even more rewarding Smile

Veijo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vilva wrote:
Nice camera, the lens is a Cooke triplet type so you ought to get quite decent photos. Never mind the shutter accuracy -- modern negative films have so much latitude that it doesn't make much difference if the speeds are one stop off. Remember, these cameras were intended for casual photography and they are most fun that way. Get used to zone focusing, preselect the zone according to the situation you are in, and the zero delay non-focusing will beat most digicam AF systems, which just keep hunting all over the place and finally focus on some random spot well after the critical moment is way past. Correctly used zone focusing never produces those hopelessly out of focus photos which are the bane of the slow AF digicams. ZF photos aren't very often extremely sharp, but at least the people in them are recognizable, and there may even be a little bit more immediacy in these not so perfect photos. Just learn the attitude, this kind of photography can be very relaxing after all the stiff lip pixel pushing - and often strangely even more rewarding Smile

Veijo

Thanks for the info, Veijo. I fully agree with you in the Zonerangers. My Minox 35ML and the Konica C35V are such of, and I love them, (even if the lens is not outstanding). Living in a sunny place like this, it's easy to pick a wide DOF to get clear pictures... Wink.

Jes.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks another fun project. These were nice little cameras.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations!

I like this cam a lot, it can produce very nice pictures.

(That's my version.)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
Congratulations!

I like this cam a lot, it can produce very nice pictures.

(That's my version.)

Nice one as well!. I see only a difference in the font type (in the engraved lettering on the front side)...
Yours seems to be the 'Kodak AG Retinette IA (type 035/7)'.

Jes.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesito wrote:

To be really shure of the shutter status I have to finish the shutter speed meter I'm building, based on a phototransistor and connected to the serial port of th PC (by now), although I'm thinking on an autonomous device based on a PIC microcontroller and a LCD display...

Best regards.
Jes.

I came across a site which showed how to check shutter speeds with a monitor screen. <googles>
Here it is and it's our very own Rick Oleson http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-135.html

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Farside wrote:
Jesito wrote:

Best regards.
Jes.

I came across a site which showed how to check shutter speeds with a monitor screen. <googles>
Here it is and it's our very own Rick Oleson http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-135.html

Hi Dave, thanks for the info. Do you know if it would it work with a LCD screen?

Jes.