Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Ikoflex III - first impression
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:00 pm    Post subject: Ikoflex III - first impression Reply with quote

It´s my second Ikoflex, after Ikoflex IIa and one of the rare and relative expensive Zeiss Ikon cameras.
Only in the years 1939/40 built, with the fastest TLR lens of that time, the 2,8/8cm Tessar from Carl Zeiss.
The Ikoflex III have all features of the Rolleiflex and an Albada viewfinder.

I think, the build quality and functionality is outstanding and better then Ikoflex IIa in one line with Rolleiflex.
The Albada finder is bright and has parallax compensation. In the net there are practically no sample pictures taken with this camera.
One thing you can read is, that this rare lens is soft. But nobody shows pictures.

Last weekend i shot my first roll, and the big surprise, this lens is fantastic. Sharp wide open with smooth bokeh.

Best regards
Ingo

Here some samples:

1. f2.8 wide open

2. f5.6

3. f11

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always heard that this was actually the least reliable of the ikoflex line thanks to its brass gearing system which would be much softer than the steel that was in previous and later models. I've just heard a couple stories in which people has to machine out new gears for it. Though it looks like you have yourself one in great condition so I doubt any of that will be an issue.

The albada viewfinder is beautiful though and your samples of the tessar are spectacular. Mine has the triotar lens...which is truthfully declared "soft."

I'm not sure what film you used but if you'd like a recommendation I would try the 100 fuji reala film - really wonderful stuff. Neutral accurate colors and fine grain. If you want a B&W try ilford 50 pan f. Hey if you have that fast lens...why not through a slow film in.

~Marc

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent results. Only goes to show how little things have really advanced in 70 years.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your comments. I´ve used Agfa Optima 200. The results are a little grainy. Today the sun is shining and I will try a roll PanF 50.

Ingo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lovely looking camera and if that's soft I wish some of mine were that soft!