Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

NEX FullFrame?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:05 pm    Post subject: NEX FullFrame? Reply with quote

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr5-sony-nex-goes-full-frame/

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's hoping!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be very good for photography.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want two! Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know. There is no NEX lens that can serve FF!
Why should they market a FF-NEX?

"After the SLT and NEX introductions (first two revolutions) Sony is about to change the photographic and video industry with the third revolution… a new Full Frame NEX system!"

This sounds to me like a new, third system! With another mount (bigger perhaps) and new lenses.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
I don't know. There is no NEX lens that can serve FF!
Why should they market a FF-NEX?

"After the SLT and NEX introductions (first two revolutions) Sony is about to change the photographic and video industry with the third revolution… a new Full Frame NEX system!"

This sounds to me like a new, third system! With another mount (bigger perhaps) and new lenses.

a quote from a Sony spokesman from 2010: "" ... it was possible to create a full frame NEX, using the same mount and the A-mount adaptor, but never the same lenses as the APS-C NEX. The mount had been designed to allow this and it might one day happen"

I would expect a FF NEX to have the same E mount. I believe that the NEX designation really stands for E mount, there are a few video cameras out which are called NEX that have the same E mount.

Users, rightfully, have been criticizing Sony for not having released more lenses for their existing NEX. Maybe Sony working on new lenses covering FF even was a reason why not more lenses have been released yet? New FF E mount lenses would be useable on an APS-C NEX too. ( though again would be criticized for their size )

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

further quote from the rumorsite:
"The idea behind the E-mount FullFrame cameras is to be compatible with current E-mount lenses (in crop mode) with A-mount lenses (with special adapter) and very important, having an E-mount with Full Frame sensor (instead of a mirrorless A-mount) will allow you to use almost any kind of lens on the camera. Think Leica M-mount lenses, Canon FD lenses and so on…Sony’s goal is to be “hybrid” or as “universal” as possible. If that will really work out well we will see in time only…
That said I know that “some official Sony news” should arrive soon, but there is no sort of NEX-9 with FF coming now….wait until 2013. There are also multiple FF mirrorless prototypes I heard of….some with E and some with A mount. But One native E-mount FullFrame camera is coming for sure!"

no new E mount FF lenses, adaptable A mount lenses and legacy glass..hm, to me this sounds as if this rumored camera is made for legacy glass users more than anyone else. Sony's response to their unexpected success with "us" Wink ?
amazing! or maybe I am only dreaming..

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sony is not exactly a cheap brand, never was. I am expecting premium prices and price is always a breaking point.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChromaticAberration wrote:
Sony is not exactly a cheap brand, never was. I am expecting premium prices and price is always a breaking point.

Not true, the price of Sony's cameras compares favourably with others.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't believe this would happen. Sony has 3 lines of lenses already and NEX is not exactly drowning in AF lenses. FF NEX would mean yet another line. That being said, if they introduce affordable FF mirrorless, most people here would get in line sooner or later.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who cares about NEX lenses? All my old SLR lenses on NEX adapters will cover FF no problem! Smile

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Presumably Sony cares Wink Not me anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fermy wrote:
I don't believe this would happen. Sony has 3 lines of lenses already and NEX is not exactly drowning in AF lenses. FF NEX would mean yet another line. That being said, if they introduce affordable FF mirrorless, most people here would get in line sooner or later.

the most probably well informed rumor says, as I quoted in my last post, that for now there is no release of NEX FF lenses planned. Personally I would expect a kit zoom equivalent to a 18-55 kit zoom for APS-C, a full frame e.g. 24-75 f3.5-5.6 though.
Current E mount lenses will work in crop mode, A mount lenses made for APS-C in crop mode and A mount lenses made for FF via adapter to their full potential, that is FF circle + Phase Detect AF of Sony’s Translucent Mirror DSLRs ( though the currently offered LA-EA2 adapter only provides that for APS-C A mount lenses? )..and most importantly

peterqd wrote:
Who cares about NEX lenses? All my old SLR lenses on NEX adapters will cover FF no problem! Smile

it sounds like made for legacy lens users Smile

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
Probably most people that have NEX cameras?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be interesting to compare how many nex bodies were sold with how many AF E mount lenses.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
peterqd wrote:
Probably most people that have NEX cameras?

I don't understand what you mean Martin. I do have a NEX camera, and an E mount lens, but I would jump at the chance of a FF E-mount camera, even if there weren't any E mount lenses for it. That would be only a small consideration and anyway, I can still use the lens on the old camera.

I would assume Sony would do something similar to Canon (but in reverse) when Canon introduced the EF-S mount for APS-C lenses. The mount is changed slightly so that all the old FF EF lenses can be used with APS-C cameras but you physically can't mount EF-S lenses on the old FF film cameras. I think the lugs on the bayonet are fractionally longer.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tss..it seems the first FF NEX is going to be a camcorder!
FF NEX still cameras are only expected for 2013.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my money is on the 'never gonna happen' wheel. anyone care to bet?! Laughing
tony

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:
tss..it seems the first FF NEX is going to be a camcorder!
FF NEX still cameras are only expected for 2013.

Who says so, Andreas?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

possibly Sony releases a FF mirrorless already now, but not an E mount NEX, but a 'compact' - LCD only with a fixed manually controllable f2/35mm lens:

http://i1266.photobucket.com/albums/jj524/picrumors/rx1-front.gif
http://i1266.photobucket.com/albums/jj524/picrumors/rx1-top.gif
( source again http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/ )

later edit:
same 24 Megapixel sensor as new FF SLT A99 and priced at $2799. Like the A99 it has 14 bit RAW and ISO range from 100 up to 25.600 and IBIS. Shoots 5 fps and It makes video in AVCHD 2.0. Supposedly coming many accessories including optical and electronic viewfinders.

anyway the first compact FF digital camera! check out the size comparison to m4/3 Panasonic GX1 ( never mind the stupid heading )
http://i.imgur.com/aHaTt.jpg

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be very nice for us if Sony did what Leica CANNOT do and Canon/Nikon do not WANT to:
Produce a FF mirroless with very good ISO performance at a reasonable price.

This would create some very interesting competition!
Canon have been resting on their laurels far too long...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i saw a rumour based off the new RX100 coupled with a fixed zeiss 35/2, no vf, $2700. honestly, no kdding, totally serious vaporware.
tony

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbelyell wrote:
i saw a rumour based off the new RX100 coupled with a fixed zeiss 35/2, no vf, $2700. honestly, no kdding, totally serious vaporware.
tony

That would be pretty much useless

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yup, except in what it portends for the future, which is hopefully a more rapid development of FF mirrorless cams...