Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

National Graflex Series II
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:07 pm    Post subject: National Graflex Series II Reply with quote

National Graflex Series II by Nesster, on Flickr

Folmer Graflex Corporation, made between 1934 and 1941. Complicated controls - but it folds into a nice size box. Focal plane shutter with speeds to 1/500. B&L Tessar 1c 75mm f/3.5. 10 on 120 film - there's some in it, the man I bought it from ran a few rolls through it. So everything works. Thankfully Butkus has the manual. This has interchangeable lenses - namely, a telephoto.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: National Graflex Series II Reply with quote

Nesster wrote:
Thankfully Butkus has the manual.

Question Exclamation

That is a really nice equipment btw.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just developed a roll, looks like sometimes there's some uneven travel. And, if I focus wide open, the one thing seems invariable: I forget to stop the lens down.

The shooting process: flip the mirror, wind the shutter, set speed if you need to. If focusing, flip the magnifier and open the lens... then remember to close the lens. The shutter flips the mirror and ... maybe ... triggers the shutter. After that, push the film release and wind on, it auto stops to the next frame. Flip mirror, then wind shutter...

The guy selling it knew I'd go for this over the Werra and the Ihagee Contessa - the great-grandmother of the Contessa I bought from him. Smile there's always next time...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That has got to be just about the biggest ever ready case in existence Laughing

I've always wanted one of these, but it's not worth the gamble of buying one off of ebay given shutter problems and the existence of 116 models.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Resistance is futile. That camera had your name on it from the word go !

I love to see your pictures from these old and long forgotten camera's that you give a home to, like orphaned kittens. You USE the cameras, they were meant and built to be used. And you have a good eye for an image, I look forward to the results.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh boy; that's an absolute beauty.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good catch. I wish I had one.

Better yet to find one that doesn't need work.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brookdale Park 09/09/12 by Nesster, on Flickr

First shot, 1/500 f/11 Neopan 400

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exciting camera and a beautiful sample!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks a pretty good start! I think I'd need a check list to make sure I did all those steps in the right order!

K.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kris - yes! As the shutter has a slit in it even when winding it, any light getting through the mirror box will cause some exposure. When does light get through? For one, when you forget to completely flip the mirror back to viewing position (and the shutter will wind, but promptly wind down again to remind you to set the mirror Very Happy)
Also, the bottom holders are made for the bigger holes of the era; modern spools have narrower center holes. Therefore, I think this causes frame overlap etc and needs to be filed or drilled off so the spools look more ancient on the bottom.

So here are the remainder of the results - just one to show the multiple shutter wind thing... then the frame overlaps... The ice cream truck shows real promise, the guy with the sunglasses on his neck has a lot of good detail. The woods and the rose are both with the lens wide open.

multiple exposure to moving slit by Nesster, on Flickr

frame overlap and focus way too close by Nesster, on Flickr

Good Humor truck by Nesster, on Flickr

Rose, wide open by Nesster, on Flickr

Woods, wide open by Nesster, on Flickr

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: National Graflex Series II Reply with quote

kansalliskala wrote:
Nesster wrote:
Thankfully Butkus has the manual.

Question Exclamation

That is a really nice equipment btw.

http://www.butkus.org/chinon/

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know Butkus but didn't know there was such a vast collection of manuals - even pre-war.