Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Onto the fast lens wide open bokeh bandwagon
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:06 am    Post subject: Onto the fast lens wide open bokeh bandwagon Reply with quote

After all the posts of these fast lenses with tiny dof for 'bokeh' I thought I'd hop on that bandwagon too.

Any guesses what lens I used...

Some clues, it's not Chinese or Japanese or Korean, it's not held together with glue or made of plastic and it's not very expensive Wink

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like the clarity-slider much? Wink

I really like the last one, but not all.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No use of the Clarity slider at all, actually. I used NIK Sharpener and on some use the Structure slider.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since it is not showing me swirl, I'll eliminate the Helios 44 varient. How about the 50mm F 2.8 Domiplan, the 50mm F 1.7 Zenitar, or a 50mm F 2.0 Domiron you bought overly cheap from an unknowing owner?Smile

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is my parody of the craze-I called it "Bokeh Obsession":

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anscochrome wrote:
Since it is not showing me swirl, I'll eliminate the Helios 44 varient. How about the 50mm F 2.8 Domiplan, the 50mm F 1.7 Zenitar, or a 50mm F 2.0 Domiron you bought overly cheap from an unknowing owner?Smile

Nice parody. I was being tongue-in-cheek too, glad someone picked up on that Wink

Those guesses are all way wide of the mark I'm afraid. I think all of those would have deeper dof wide open than this lens has.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
I was being tongue-in-cheek too, glad someone picked up on that Wink

Not easy to miss. Regardless, the last one is really nice.

If you didn't touch the clarity, how did you get this one like it has the slider maxed out?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I told you, it's using the Structure slider in Nik Sharpener.

Without PP.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what is "not very expensive"... hmmm... I want to say jupiter 3

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good guess, but it's not a J-3, I don't have one, just four J-8s Wink

It was cheap, let's put it that way, and it has severe separation, a long thin crack in the glass, lots of bubbles in the glass and some strange patches in the rear group that looks like liquid between the elements but obviously isn't. I think most of the coating has been rubbed away too. In short, it's in awful condition optically.

Still works alright though Smile

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last photo in the series is beautiful.
Looks like 85mm or longer. Maybe takumar 85/1.9? I am not sure about my guess due to the close focus capability.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Hoanpham, that was a lucky capture, she looked at the camera at just the right moment.

You're right it is a longer lens but it's not that Takumar, I had that lens and it was pretty good, sold it for a large profit, not because I didn't like it, but I needed the profit more than I needed the lens.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm led to believe that bubbles in glass were once a measure of quality a manufacturing process (before it was refined further).

anyway, is it a zeiss jena? (i guess 2.8 isn't considered fast though)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the last one too. I'll go for a preset Meyer/Pentacon 2.8/135

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like little girl series , certainly cut model help a lot.

I help a little to guess lens has zero value , no focus or aperture either Laughing

I have one too in different focal length and speed. Meyer 135mm has better contrast and more sharp.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last one is very nice. That's what people seek when they crank the aperture wide open Wink

I kind of agree with you, but maybe have a different conclusion.

Shallow DOF is definitely a fad, and is definitely overused. It's also harder to make a good image both technically and compositionally.

But when it works I like it, as in your last pic.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My vote goes for Biometar 80mm 2.8 or Jupiter 9 85mm 2.0 Smile

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some really good ones, I think you are improving very fast at portraits.
My two favourites are the two photos with the guy, especially the first one where composition is perfect.
He is a great subject, he could be a pro model for commercials.
Your composition is very modern and gives dinamicity to the subject.

The last two (girl's heads) are also very good.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind words guys, this was just an informal candid mess around in the back yard, on a cloudy day, I'm trying to develop my own style for portraits that has elements of fun and art, as every pro shooter in my area does the run of the mill boring posed portraits, I wanted to explore a different approach.

It's not a Biometar or J9, although I have both of those and they are excellent portrait lenses. It' not a Meyer/Pentacon 135 either, although I have a couple of different ones.

Attila was warmer, think outside the box a little. It's not a Zeiss or Meyer lens and it has no value on the market.

Here's one Orio might like, I didn't post because of the extensive PP, not sure it worked as I really wanted, makes my friend look much older, but I do want to experiment further with silver efex on portraits.

And here's another one I shot with this lens over a year ago on my old EOS 10D:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a projector lens of the Petzval type.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anscochrome wrote:
It is a projector lens of the Petzval type.

Bingo.

Now how did you pull that one out of the blue?

Maybe you saw that last shot when I posted it before and remembered the lens?

It's a 1950s Kershaw made Gaumont Kalee Bloomed 5inch f2.2.

Glass is a mess, severe separation in the front group and a long thin crack, lots of bubbles in this front group. Rear group has some strange marks between the elements too.

I think this series proves that people worry too much about the condition of a lens, even in bad shape they can still perform in many cases.

This lens cost 99p. I just bought another one, a 5.5 inch f2.2 for the grand sum of 0.06ukp.

The separation has got much worse since I took these pics of the lens over a year ago and the crack has appeared, hence I've bought another, just in case this one deteriorates too much.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian, you're like some kind of 'mad scientist' stuck up there in a remote part of Cumbria and working away with all these different lenses, and it's paying off - at last Wink There's some terrific portraits there, I agree with Orio that the pictures of guy with the dreadlocks are very good, well worthy of being commercial and exhibition quality, and the young girl series has some equally as good.

You're lucky in that you can remember which lens does what, and you obviously understand a lot about what makes a lens perform in different ways, it's something I can't do as my memory works in mysterious ways. I just remember which of my lenses are 'good', but don't ask me "why ?"
That knowledge is working for you, that's a fine series of images.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers David. I've had this little beauty sat here for ages, I knew it was capable of some very nice portraits, just not had any need or opportunity to shoot portraits, but now I've been asked to do some portrait work so I thought I'd give this lens a try again.

Now I've got to mount it properly, I just had it stuck into two sets of Chinese NEX extension tubes joined together end to end. I'm working on putting the lens into a set of KMZ M42 bellows.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got some machining facilities Ian, a small lathe and I can do some light milling. Let me know if you need something doing.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you taking this lens to the wedding sessions?
Laughing