Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Onto the fast lens wide open bokeh bandwagon
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers David, I might just need your help if I can't get this thing mounted satisfactorily.

I wasn't thinking of using this lens for weddings, but for portraits of ladies and kids, I'd like to be able to have a different look to my work to the other pros in my area, I think it would attract more work.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried some BW conversions:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the third one.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great lesson in what can be achieved with substandard glass under the right conditions and in right hands (not to mention good post-processing).

Thank you!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers. Conditions weren't great, 7pm, cloudy, dull, but the lens sucks in loads of light and as you say, a bit of PP works wonders sometimes.

I think it's a very fine example of a Petzval type lens, just in really bad condition, but what do you want for 99p? Smile

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
what do you want for 99p? Smile

I would have been tempted to offer 95p Wink

Great set of portraits and studies. If you achieve results like this at the wedding, everyone will be happy.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Skida. The second one I just bought was 6p so I consider it a bargain, despite this description :'OPTICS ARE DUSTY & HAVE CLEANING MARKS/ RAINBOW MARKINGS IN THE COATING & FUNGUS'

Oh well, it can't be much worse than this 5inch. I should be able to clean the fungus.

Same lens, just it's the 5.5inch (140mm) variant.

Good old rockycameras will try to sell you the 6 inch one for 99ukp...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's why Rocky drives a new Aston Martin, and the rest of us don't. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.rockycameras.com/gaumont-kalee-bloomed-35mm-cine-projection-lens-6-14159mm-f22--very-rare--9999-32562-p.asp

Optically perfect as usual, 99quid to you guv'nor Wink

Idiot says it's focuses correctly, like this lens has a focus mechanism...

Just wish I knew where and how rocky came across his stock...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
That's why Rocky drives a new Aston Martin, and the rest of us don't. Rolling Eyes

Quiet unbelievable he could earn that amount of money from garbage.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder what volume of sales he does, I've noticed items staying listed on his site for months after months.

I haven't bought anything from him since he sent me a 'fully working' Mamiya ZE that had a smashed prism, so bad was the impact it had suffered that the metal of the prism housing was split along a cm at the front above the Mamiya label, the prism was displaced several mm on one side and the camera didn't wind on or shutter fire. I opened a Paypal claim and he instantly refunded the full amount. So the geezer obviously knows he sells garbage and is prepared to be pulled on it sometimes.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just browsed through his site, found another amusing item
http://www.rockycameras.com/cased-canon-fd-fit-macro-focusing-11-lens-1499-34366-p.asp
He calls it Cased Canon FD Fit MACRO Focusing 1:1 Lens £14.99, which would be a incredible bargain. Also "This lens is in optically perfect condition .This is in working order,focusing correctly."

Too bad it's not a lens, but a 2x teleconverter. Is he really clueless about the stuff he is selling or is this all thought out to lure in suckers?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought a few items from Rocky. A Tokina 19-35mm, really excellent condition - £50. Extension tubes, close-up filters, only a couple of ££. Ah had tae return a Minolta 50mm which was again, showroom condition but simply didn't work...at all; it was an effort tae get my refund as well.

So the jury's still out for me. Cool

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just remember this guy got so many negatives on Ebay that they kicked him out, not just once but THREE times, using different account names.

Buying something from him is a gamble, just like betting. Sometimes you win but more often you lose.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are other shady dealers about too, there's one in Sheffield, was originally fotobiblios, then staffordbooks, then sheffbk, banned three times for cheating by some really ruthless use of self-bidding with multiple accounts, he'll keep at it because ebay just lets these lowlifes open new accounts.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If a seller is being honest and forthright then things usually work out well.....

If they're not honest and forthright;I usually drop them quicker then a big turd from a tall cow,before the deal's done....and don't do business with them again.