Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Pentacon Electric 135 f2.8 for $60 - good buy?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:36 am    Post subject: Pentacon Electric 135 f2.8 for $60 - good buy? Reply with quote

I have the chance of getting a Pentacon Electric 135 f2.8 for $60 but I'm not too sure if it's worth the money I'm being asked for - for my understanding this is the one version of this lens you should stay away from, but I've also read that it's a good lens...
The only image I have of it is pretty blurry and I was hoping that one of you could give me some guidance in reference to which one is it ( even though I'm almost sure that it's the 6 blade auto )
I read somewhere that the good ones have the aperture ring close to the front of the lens instead of the back.... this one seems to have it on the back. Sad

So, what's you're verdict? go or no go?

PS: the seller states that the blades and lens are in mint condition and that the lens was barely used...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The meyer version will more likely to have better quality control and more aperture blades for better bokeh.
Btw that picture does not tell any information about the glass and blades. We all have different definitions for "mint condition".

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two years ago i bought this lens, much cheaper than $60. I wasn't impressed at all. So i sold it. Later i bought the same lens in auto version. It was the same as the electric. Still got it somewhere, but didn't use it much. Also tried some other Pentacons and MOGs.
Now, i didn't have the opportunity to shoot with the preset version (the so called "bokeh monster"), but i don't think they are worth the $60.
Digression:
$60 can have a different value for you than for me.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easily worth $60 if it's in good shape optically, there is some variation between copies, the best are as sharp as a Sonnar 3.5/135, the less good ones are still sharp just not quite as sharp.

The difference between the 15 and 6 blade versions is overstated by many, it's a subtle difference in how smooth the bokeh is and bright highlights will appear less perfectly circular, but honestly, the bokeh of the 6 bladed ones is lovely and in a lot of shots no difference will be apparent. Shooting wide open there is zero difference.

What this lens does really well apart from the sumptuous bokeh is colours, they are bright and vivid with strong saturation, it's also a good lens in contrast terms too and has excellent CA control.

Some samples from one of the 6 bladed copies I've owned, no PP:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the replies! Mostly for the detailed one from iangreenhalgh1! I'm going to get it. It's a local sale so I will be able of checking the lens before buying it - I'm not too worried if the seller is being truthful about its condition, I was mostly worried if it would be a bad version and I would end up having to resell it ( like my Tamron BBAR 200mm "lightsaber" which I'm still selling lol )

I'll be posting some test shots with the pentacon soon Wink

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it's a good lens. It's quite a bit bigger and heavier than many Japanese 135mm though, otherwise there is nothing to complain.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can handle big and heavy! Mostly since I started using my Vivitar Series 1  70-210 - I can knock out a 400 pound bouncer single handedly with this baby lol

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stay away from who say it never try it or too rich to buy anything cheap, excellent lens.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a very decent lens, but the price is high. You should try and push them down to $40 or so, which is more realistic. The preset lens is better IMO as the bokeh is creamier and there is more pop to subjects.

Some of mine with the 135/2.8 electric:

Elephants at Dublin zoo by ManualFocus-G, on Flickr

Lion at Dublin zoo by ManualFocus-G, on Flickr

Hippo at Dublin zoo taking a bite out of the wall! by ManualFocus-G, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies once again!
Great shots ManualFocus-G!
I agree that the pricing might be a tad higher than it should be, but this a lens that I've been looking forward to add to my humble collection. I don't want to lose it for a few bucks... Besides that, I'm in Canada, so the dollar is also a tad lower than the American dollar Wink either way, it's still a better pricing than I would get on eBay ( I actually looked at attilas items and he does have one for sale )

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With patience you could get one for 40 bucks, but I still think 60 is an okay price, if you don't like it, you should have little trouble selling it again for 60.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those values are all too high in my opinion.

I have bought two preset versions both for £10 ($15), and that is a perfectly valid price to achieve if you have enough patience on eBay.

They are ultra common lenses, and the handful of variations that each version has makes them even more easy to find at true bargain values. They were produced for decades!

I would pay something like £30 for a mint as in "never used" copy, no fungus, scratches and soft turning rings (preferably with original caps) and not a pound more.

A tip I can give you is to forget about auctions for the lens itself, those get noticed too soon by too many buyers but instead look for ZENIT camera auctions because many of them will have an Helios 44 mounted and what sellers often call a "spare" or "extra" or "long" lens, which happens to be very frequently a Pentacon 135m f/2.8 preset version, zebra version if you are lucky enough.
Just contact the seller and make him a £10 offer on the "spare" lens only, try not to refer to the real name of the lens too, since they will still have the Helios for not leaving the body rendered useless, they often accept the offer.

I feel insulted when people ask the crazy 'Buy Now' prices they sometimes do. This is NOT a rare lens, it was mass produced, judging by the serial numbers, at least since the 60's (even earlier with the Meyer badge) all the way to the mid 80's.

On this auction I bet one can get that Zenit EM with preset Pentacon 200mm ƒ/4 if one makes him an offer of like £15(+postage). He's expecting at least £20 for the whole lot! If you really want the lens offer him £30, many buyers will rejoice on getting more on a single item than the starting price they estimated for the whole package.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a ton for the tips ChromaticAberration ( or should I say "Eh pá, obrigadinho!" Wink )
I am definitely going to take your advice moving forward and will try getting an extra copy using that "method"... as for the condition, the seller did tell me that he barely used the lens and that it's "like new" - again, I will check the lens condition when I go get it. I must also say that it's hard to convince anyone that bought it full price 20 or 30 years ago to let go of it for under 40$ - mostly in Canada - you can't even go for dinner out here with that much! lol
I will be patient enough AFTER i get my first copy Wink
But it's definitely a great tip you just gave me! Thanks a lot!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Stay away from who say it never try it or too rich to buy anything cheap, excellent lens.

If You are reffering to my "$60 can have a different value to you than for me", You get it wrong. Someone in USA or GB can get that amount for few hours. I have to work 3 days for that. That's why i mentioned the different value of $60.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I speak for myself but I do not want to risk bankruptcy on photography purchases so I must get my stuff cheap enough to be able to experiment and have fun at the same time.

My most expensive lens was bought for €50. The f/1.2 Nikkor. Some light internal fungae that I cleaned myself as well as possible and that was it. Ok I must admit it was a lucky purchase.

Contrary to many people on MFLenses, I don not value these lenses as much as they do because at the end of the day they will not give you better performance than modern glass, they are just cheaper, lots cheaper.

Sempre às ordens [[]]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, ChromaticAberration. Most of my manual focus lenses i bought for 10-20 euros. I can't justify to pay 50 or more euros just for fun. Sure, i would love to have some expensive toys, but ...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

Were these from one of the bad copies?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alexthekid wrote:
Attila wrote:

If You are reffering to my "$60 can have a different value to you than for me", You get it wrong. Someone in USA or GB can get that amount for few hours. I have to work 3 days for that. That's why i mentioned the different value of $60.

And where is it you live/work?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alexthekid wrote:
Attila wrote:

I did refer to original poster who said he heard bad about this lens, quite common people just look brand, price tag and say bad about inexpensive lenses even if they never try any of them out or they did try it out but they are blind and see only good if price is high enough. If you have to work for three days for 60 USD. That is pretty sad and I apologize if I did hurt you I wouldn't that for sure.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just looked back at records and see I paid $30 for my Meyer, but that was probably on the inexpensive side. I haven't used the Pentacon version, so can only speak of the Meyer, but I can say that I've always preferred the round iris. Some shots from the Meyer zebra lens:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't want to start a discussion on what is affordable for each individual, I just wanted to know the market value of this specific version of this lens and if it's worth the investment. Maybe I should've worded the question differently, but at the same time indie understand what Attila meant with his comment - there are quite a few people out there that believe that only "top notch" (as in really expensive ) manual lens are worth buying, which is far from the truth.

I personally like manual lenses for multiple factors - I like "old stuff" ( there's some magic in old things that new things do not have ); I like the "character" that old lenses have and the different results you can achieve at a very low price; ultimately I like the whole history associated with the lens itself, where it was bought, by whom, hence why I prefer buying directly from the owner then from a reseller.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After participating in this thread I left home with my preset copy to use my 5D for the first time. I guess this is just another example of the hundreds available online of what type of photos you can expect from this lens:

0176 by Kromatic Abrrtn, on Flickr

Not saying it's a good photo! Just a fresh example. Only post-processing was resize and exposure correction.

Last edited by ChromaticAberration on Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

Were these from one of the bad copies?

No, that's a loaded question if ever I heard one. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

err0r, I think you got a fair deal for what looks like an unused lens, the electric version evidenced by the electric contacts on the mount. I have the non-electric 6-blade version, purchased from member "himself" a couple of years ago (THANK YOU again himself!!!); one of my very favorite lenses! In fact, it is on my 5D now, has been for the past few days. Very Happy I also have the V2 S-M-C Takumar 135/2.5, which is probably the best film-era 135 in terms of IQ, however the Pentacon has qualities the Tak cannot touch, which is why I like it so much. There is a learning curve, but once climbed, the lens produces some phenomenal images.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering the main reason why the topic was started all I have to say to end my contribute is

"Yes, definitely get it for it is a lens with a very interesting quality/value ratio but do not go crazy on your investment.".