Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Versatar/Vivitar 70-210/3.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:49 pm    Post subject: Versatar/Vivitar 70-210/3.5 Reply with quote

I'm now calling this lens the Versatar because it is incredibly versatile. I showed in another thread what macros it can produce with the aid of a Raynox attachment, well it doesn't do bad on it's own.
These are cropped images without extension tubes or Raynox;

Not perfect but pretty good for an old zoom. (well, No.3 is a bit fuzzy Sad )

And, don't forget, this lens can also capture shots like these;

Is there a more versatile lens out there?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tokina AT-X 50-250mm/4-5.6 - broader focal range, macro that goes 1:1,4 and lighter and smaller than this vivitar (nothing against the vivitar)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderful series, particularly the Bee shots. I only sold my copy because I hate zoom lenses.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WolverineX wrote:
Tokina AT-X 50-250mm/4-5.6 - broader focal range, macro that goes 1:1,4 and lighter and smaller than this vivitar (nothing against the vivitar)

So the answer is clearly yes, there is a more versatile zoom out there. This begs the question, is it any good? Do you have one yourself, or experience of one? I've never heard of it and I don't recall seeing a review anywhere, if it's better than my Vivitar I may have to swap. Razz

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Wonderful series, particularly the Bee shots. I only sold my copy because I hate zoom lenses.

Thanks Ian, I only bought this zoom because I was tired of lugging several lenses around whenever I went on long walks. I'll still use my primes more often, but it's good to have an all-rounder there when it's more convenient to carry just the one lens. Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great results! I love #1, 4 and the owl´s head pic. Congrats!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gurdie wrote:
Great results! I love #1, 4 and the owl´s head pic. Congrats!

Thanks. Smile

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SonicScot wrote:
iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

Thanks Ian, I only bought this zoom because I was tired of lugging several lenses around whenever I went on long walks. I'll still use my primes more often, but it's good to have an all-rounder there when it's more convenient to carry just the one lens. Very Happy

I've taken to carrying two film cameras as well as my NEX so convenience has kind of gone out the window for me Smile

I sold all my zooms apart from my Hexanon ones, I just keep those because I collect Konica and they are all excellent. They see almost no use though.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SonicScot wrote:
WolverineX wrote:

So the answer is clearly yes, there is a more versatile zoom out there. This begs the question, is it any good? Do you have one yourself, or experience of one? I've never heard of it and I don't recall seeing a review anywhere, if it's better than my Vivitar I may have to swap. Razz

here lenses side by side

here you can see samples from tokina in first post with pix used with olympus e-520, in second post with pix used on olympus E-M5
http://forum.mflenses.com/testing-my-lenses-part-13-tokina-at-x-50-250mm-4-5-6-t31136,highlight,%2Btesting+%2Blenses.html

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the name "Versatar" Very Happy ....some very nice shots and without any doubt a great lens....you are now an happy "macro man", you've got also your BIF (bee in flight...like poilu said Laughing )........

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pich900 wrote:
I like the name "Versatar" Very Happy ....some very nice shots and without any doubt a great lens....you are now an happy "macro man", you've got also your BIF (bee in flight...like poilu said Laughing )........

Versatar it is then Laughing
Yeah I was pleased to get a bee-in-flight but it could be a lot better, must try harder. I enjoy the chase of these bees and other insects, I just need to put more time and effort into it. Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WolverineX wrote:
here you can see samples from tokina in first post with pix used with olympus e-520, in second post with pix used on olympus E-M5
http://forum.mflenses.com/testing-my-lenses-part-13-tokina-at-x-50-250mm-4-5-6-t31136,highlight,%2Btesting+%2Blenses.html

Thanks I missed those first time around, shows it to be a very good lens. That's another on my list.... Razz

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Such a great shoots , pretty incredible !

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great animal captures.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great captures.

SonicScot wrote:
WolverineX wrote:

Over a stop slower at the long end. There's always a trade off.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
Great captures.

SonicScot wrote:
WolverineX wrote:

Over a stop slower at the long end. There's always a trade off.

Ain't that always the case Sad

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Such a great shoots , pretty incredible !
Thank you.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Great animal captures.
Thanks.