Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

tobbsman inspired panorama
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:30 pm    Post subject: tobbsman inspired panorama Reply with quote

I keep trying (and failing) to emulate our tobbsman by creating a good panorama. Half the problem is finding a suitable subject, the other half is capturing and processing it.
Here's my latest attempt, the view from the end of the pier here in our village.

I think I'm making progress but I haven't yet reached the level I expect of myself.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I like it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:
Well I like it.
I'm glad somebody does lol

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another one from the other end of the village..

Golspie, 10-shot panorama by Gaz Sutherland, on Flickr

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both look good to me, but I think #2 is my favourite. The sky detail is wonderful. Smile

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really like them both! As said above, the sky looks great.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked these are very nicely done panoramas ! congrats Smile

Just some thoughts:
my fave is nr.2
the composition is perfect ... the eye can walk with the graphical lines
... leads towards this mountain with it's (what is it) pillar on it.

with nr.1 my eyes gets disturbed
to much different information and no real point to rest on.
the boat could be a point to rest on, but the composition isn't
emphasizing it.
maybe a different crop could work wonder Smile

the sky detail is indeed amazing, however it looks to punchy from colors
to my eyes. A kind of HDRy, unnatural blue.
Some spots in this pano look very like HDR tone mapping (bridge), bit of
unnatural colors.

.. but this are just some thoughts, never take them to serious Very Happy Very Happy

Cheers
Tobias

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Number 2 is good, i like it.
I didn't have any occasion to try the tecnique on a good subject, i'm looking forward to add an image of this kind to my gallery.
Well done Wink

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like them both, composition, sharpness and detail, but forgive me if I disagree on the HDRish colouring: to me is a bit unnatural and takes too much protagonism over the other factors. I would love to see it not so heavily processed Sad, because both panos are really nice.

Or maybe a B&W try?.

Anyway congrats for such great work.
Regards.
Jes.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two very fine panos of a gorgeous spot

patrickh

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's indeed an amazing landscape and probably a quiet place to live!
I'm agree with Jesito, the first one is also on my eye a little bit too much processed Confused ...The second one is much better, I love it actually, perfect compo, nice colors and lovely rendering from the sky, well done Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone for their comments and valued opinions Very Happy
I'll come clean now and tell you that both panoramas were hand-held, 3-shot HDR's with 7D and Tokina 28/2.8. The processing was identical for both up until the end when I pushed the processing a little on the first as a way of fishing for people to tell me it was too much, thank you for joining in. Wink Laughing I think I may have got away with that one if, as suggested, I'd gone the B&W route.

The view from the pier is one that few people see, but I agree there is no clear subject to draw the eye into the scene. (must try harder)
The second view I have shot before but never a panorama like this, I'm really pleased how it came out.

Before I went to the trouble of processing 3-shot HDR's I used the middle exposures to create a simple panorama, if that was pleasing to my eye I would carry on with all exposures. With the view from the pier, my father suggested including more from the right-hand side, the problem is there's sewer works going on and a bright orange digger is parked there. Rolling Eyes I'll go there again when the digger is gone.

The 'pillar' on the mountain is a statue of the 1st Duke of Sutherland who died in 1833. He was know as the Black Duke for his part in the Highland Clearances in this area (google is your friend). To all the locals it is a sign that you are home when travelling from afar, the statue is 100ft tall so can be seen from many miles away.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the composition in both shots, but I am not a fan of HDR. My opinion is that the second is better but still too much - I think if people can tell it is HDR processed then there is too much.

Both are very striking images, in an "arty" rather than photographic sense.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tobbsman wrote:
Shocked these are very nicely done panoramas ! congrats Smile

Just some thoughts:
my fave is nr.2
the composition is perfect ... the eye can walk with the graphical lines
... leads towards this mountain with it's (what is it) pillar on it.

with nr.1 my eyes gets disturbed
to much different information and no real point to rest on.
the boat could be a point to rest on, but the composition isn't
emphasizing it.
maybe a different crop could work wonder Smile

the sky detail is indeed amazing, however it looks to punchy from colors
to my eyes. A kind of HDRy, unnatural blue.
Some spots in this pano look very like HDR tone mapping (bridge), bit of
unnatural colors.

.. but this are just some thoughts, never take them to serious Very Happy Very Happy

Cheers
Tobias

Thanks for your input Tobias, I'm pleased to hear your thoughts and I agree with everything you've said.
I'll be leaving the HDR alone next time, I have a tendency to go a little too far sometimes even though I know better. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skida wrote:
I like the composition in both shots, but I am not a fan of HDR. My opinion is that the second is better but still too much - I think if people can tell it is HDR processed then there is too much.

Both are very striking images, in an "arty" rather than photographic sense.

Thanks for the feedback, I know I pushed things too far so I'll try to be more gentle next time. Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your panos are looking good! I actually prefer the first one with the immense lead in and the little boat. The second one is a bit too HDR for me, but I think that's been covered already Laughing Looking forward to some more panos!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's kind of cool that you purposely brought the colors up, to see how we would react. I agree
with the others - #2 is GREAT, and the color could be toned down. I sure do feel #2 is a keeper and
a wall-hanger.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurence wrote:
I think it's kind of cool that you purposely brought the colors up, to see how we would react. I agree
with the others - #2 is GREAT, and the color could be toned down. I sure do feel #2 is a keeper and
a wall-hanger.

I like a little fishing now and again Wink Laughing
Thanks, I can see #2 on my wall too. Cool

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
Your panos are looking good! I actually prefer the first one with the immense lead in and the little boat. The second one is a bit too HDR for me, but I think that's been covered already Laughing Looking forward to some more panos!

Well you're the first to mention that lead-in so I guess we have a similar 'eye', I was aware of it when shooting so I was surprised no-one else caught it (or at least mentioned it). Perhaps the frame is a little too wide really for it to be seen that way, but hey we all see things differently.
Glad you're liking them. Very Happy