Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

HDR for bad light
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:55 pm    Post subject: HDR for bad light Reply with quote

Good light is rare here so i have to battle gray, dull overcast all the time.

HDR seems to help:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Help to create nicer photos indeed in bad light, thank you for sharing it!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many photos you took for let's say #2 for HDR?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian, I am trying to be helpful here. You obviously take great care and a lot of time manipulating your pictures but very little care and time choosing your subjects.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
Ian, I am trying to be helpful here. You obviously take great care and a lot of time manipulating your pictures but very little care and time choosing your subjects.

These are just technical samples, IAN did share already many beautiful pictures here.

Like these

rest of it here , most of them published on forum.

http://www.logonr1.com

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter has right, better subjects help more to understand your Technic.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HDR is good when it helps you capture all the difference in the lighting that might be in the scene.
The minimum requirement for an HDR picture is 2 exposures (one for the shadows and one for the lights) so you can merge them later in post. A bit like superpanoramas and focus stacking, the series of pictures will provide you much more detail that would not have been there with a single shot.
You can't just grab a frame and try to squeeze everything out of it, there are a few limits you can't go past by photographying the normal way.
What the mainstream HDR population does is introduce exagerated levels of contrast and color grading so the image looks more appealing but in practice the images you posted probably have less detail than a good raw file correctly exposed and postproduced.
Images can be good nevertheless but if you try to be "technical" you should know that you are not going into the exact directionby doing this.
Double exposure and merging is the best way to achieve a properly exposed picture in harsh light conditions, this is a fact.
It's even better than using soft ND filters because the line of separation isn't always straight or easily detectable.
Wink

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sometimes use my NEX3 on HDR mode exactly for such bad light . For my taste ,the results are more on the natural looking .
http://forum.mflenses.com/flektogon-20mm-on-nex-3-t48644.html see the second image in the first set and the last twoo in the second set of pictures in the link.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer the original pics to the HDR ones.

I'd rather use a layer mask to adjust levels, or better still, wait for the right light.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
I'd rather use a layer mask to adjust levels.

+1
To fix photos with HDR is like using a hammer to fix a wristwatch
Localized tools produce a much wiser result
I think HDR is only good for extreme use as a special effect (for those who like it - I don't).

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'd rather use a layer mask to adjust levels.

Me too.
Except for #6, in which hdr (maybe a lighter application of that) seems to actually save the shot.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:

+1
And especially don't prefer those wich are ...overdone . I've rarely seen well done HDR's .Usually they look artificial without having an artistic purpose to look so.
The NEx HDR engine results seem a little washed out for me .What you see in the links I've mentioned above are tweaked in PP to look reasonably well