Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

your ideal 3 or 4 'small' lens set for your NEX?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:46 am    Post subject: your ideal 3 or 4 'small' lens set for your NEX? Reply with quote

I have been wondering, what is the ideal set of 3 to 4 'small' lenses for a NEX? by small I also mean rel. lightweight

what is your personal dream set, cost no bar?
and which lenses would make it to your set if there was a price limit of about 1500 Euro / 2000 usd for the set?

I am very curious..

thank you for any input,
Andreas

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Sony SEL 2.8/16 (because there is no manual alternative which is equally fast and small and cheap!)
2. Sigma EX 2.8/30 or Olympus PEN 1.8/38 (the PEN is a tad long, perhaps the 25mm would fit better here, but I don't know it.)
3. Jupiter-8 2/50 or Jupiter-3 1.5/50
4. Leica Elmar 4/90

The whole set will cost you about €600,- and you can do almost anything with it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jupiter 8 50mm M39
Soligor m39 105mm as a tele (very light and good)
and the Sigma EX 2.8/30 (amazing lens and pretty much all you will need on a Nex)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hm..thank you very much for your answers Carsten and eddieitman

LucisPictor wrote:
2. Sigma EX 2.8/30 or Olympus PEN 1.8/38 (the PEN is a tad long, perhaps the 25mm would fit better here, but I don't know it.)

wow, the 38mm Pen is so small! so the Sigma, because being E mount, makes even for a smaller package?
the 'Pen-F' f2.8/25mm actually is a rather long lens, much longer than the 38mm, I believe that the f4/25mm is of about the same size as the 38mm
see the 1.8/38 and the f2.8/25mm on my NEX5N:

anyway, that could mean that I really have many more than enough good lenses for my NEX ( but that I may consider getting the 30mm Sigma ) Seeing many Leica, Voigtlaender, Contax G and other small rangefinder lenses in shops yesterday in Osaka I must have been carried away, wondering if they may be considerably better

still curious about more opinions Wink

Last edited by kuuan on Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:10 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi andreas
over the last six months i switched over from a pretty large slr collection to 'small' collection for my m4/3. lenses that impress me are: cv 15/4.5; cv skopar 25/4; zeiss g biogon 28/2.8; summicron-c 40/2; cv color heliar 75/2.5. almost every lens around $400usd. the summicron is absolutely stunning and small as a thimble.
tony

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My NEX small set:

Voigtlander Skopar 35mm f/2.5
Summarit 50mm f/1.5
Jupiter-11 RF Contax II mount.

Larger focal lenses are not "small". If I have to go with some, I pick the Tamrons, 300 f/5.6 and the mirror 500mm f8.

Regards.
Jes.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sigma i would go with not because of the size but the quality of the lens.
Take a look at some samples here
http://forum.mflenses.com/sigma-30mm-f2-8-af-for-sony-nex-1st-shots-t48466.html
Its a very impressive lens and i love the focal length.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:

wow, the 38mm Pen is so small! so the Sigma, because being E mount, makes even for a smaller package?
(

Yes, it's shorter.

kuuan wrote:

anyway, that could mean that I really have many more than enough good lenses for my NEX

You have excellent lenses for your NEX, Andreas.

The reason why I did not list Leica lenses is the budget you gave us. Wink

No limit?

Leica Tri-Elmar 16-18-21
Leica Summicron 2/28
Leica Summilux 1.4/50
Leica Summarit 2.5/75 (or 90 if you prefer)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mine;
1. CV Heliar 15/4,5. this one always in my bag no matter what other lens/es with it. small, sharp, wide cost around
2. Pentax SMC 50/1,2 smallest 1,2 lens I have, for low light, great bokeh, sharp
3. I have to choose between Konica Hexanon 85/1,8 for indoor or Voigtlander apo lanthar 90/3,5 LTM for outdoor, it small

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbelyell wrote:
hi andreas
over the last six months i switched over from a pretty large slr collection to 'small' collection for my m4/3. lenses that impress me are: cv 15/4.5; cv skopar 25/4; zeiss g biogon 28/2.8; summicron-c 40/2; cv color heliar 75/2.5. almost every lens around $400usd. the summicron is absolutely stunning and small as a thimble.
tony

your set up makes a lot of sense to me Tony, and your lens advice sounds very good to me!
I always liked small, this was one of my main reasons why my dSLR are Pentax *istDs and K-x, and why I am specially fond of my tiny early Takumars.
The NEX is so much smaller and lighter again, got to love it for that!

Slowly I understand that my better lenses that still are not very big are the Pentax FA43 and Takumar f2/58. Still I have to figure out if my Pen-F 2.8/25mm holds up to the OM and / or Pentax K 2.8/24 and if the Pen-F 3.5/20 can compete with more modern lenses. Or in other words, though I am sure that the other recommendations are just as good、 it's above all the Voigtlaender 75/2.5 and secondly the 4.5/15 which I find very attractive!!
A question: how to you find the focusing via adapter of your Biogon? The remember having read again and again the 45/2 being described as the sharpest lens ever..

best greetings,
Andreas

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eddieitman wrote:
The sigma i would go with not because of the size but the quality of the lens.
Take a look at some samples here
http://forum.mflenses.com/sigma-30mm-f2-8-af-for-sony-nex-1st-shots-t48466.html
Its a very impressive lens and i love the focal length.

certainly looks good, thank you for the link!

even though I specifically was asking for small lenses I actually find rel. small dSLR primes with their adapters still fine on my NEX. I have a very fine Pentax K f2.8/30mm that I have not used much yet, I must give it good run before I decide on the Sigma

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
kuuan wrote:

(

Yes, it's shorter.

and I'd imagine lighter too..

LucisPictor wrote:

kuuan wrote:

anyway, that could mean that I really have many more than enough good lenses for my NEX

You have excellent lenses for your NEX, Andreas.

The reason why I did not list Leica lenses is the budget you gave us. Wink

No limit?

Leica Tri-Elmar 16-18-21
Leica Summicron 2/28
Leica Summilux 1.4/50
Leica Summarit 2.5/75 (or 90 if you prefer)

Leica Tri lenses..I had not even known that these exist Shocked
hm..with this set I'd need some serious anti shake system, I'd be shacking all over in fear of scratching or dropping the lens,
and for my travels, carrying more value in my camera bag than many of the poor earn in their live time, a body guard Wink

best regards and greetings,
Andreas

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IAZA wrote:
mine;
1. CV Heliar 15/4,5. this one always in my bag no matter what other lens/es with it. small, sharp, wide cost around
2. Pentax SMC 50/1,2 smallest 1,2 lens I have, for low light, great bokeh, sharp
3. I have to choose between Konica Hexanon 85/1,8 for indoor or Voigtlander apo lanthar 90/3,5 LTM for outdoor, it small

thank's a lot IAZA
the 15mm Heliar comes uop again and again..
for a fast 50mm I am still happy with my f1.4 Taks, I have a small Auto Tak 1.8/85 which is quite good.

Besides the 15mm it is the Color Skopar 2.5/75 that attracts me most of all, looks like a stellar performer for not too much money and I find the the focal lengths very attractive.

thank you and best greetings,
Andreas

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure about dream lenses but I have these right now.

Zeiss 18 ZM
Sigma 30
Contax G 45
Contax G 90
Nikkor 5cm 1.4

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nonac wrote:

Zeiss 18 ZM
Sigma 30
Contax G 45
Contax G 90
Nikkor 5cm 1.4

sounds like a dream set to me, Nonac!

the Zeiss 18mm sure must be a winner...a bit costly though Wink
I wonder how much better the cv Heliar 15/4.5 is compared to the Sony SEL16?

various times I have read that the Contax G 45mm is the sharpest lens around..how do you find the focusing of your G lenses via adapter?

oh..the rangefinder Nikkor 1.4/50 right? a dream lens!!

anywhere we can see your photos you have been taking with these lenses?

best regards,
Andreas

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have both
heliar is darker in same condition. but that's the only cons
I never bring SEL after I have heliar,
if you like landscape, hyperfocal, ssharp images. you will happy with heliar. but dont expect bokeh Wink

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IAZA wrote:
I have both
if you like landscape, hyperfocal, ssharp images. you will happy with heliar. but dont expect bokeh Wink

thank you very much for your input IAZA!
sounds a bit as had to be expected..
I don't find the Sony all that bad, really..well, corners sometimes are weak at a disturbing level. I guess the Heliar must be better in this respect too, right?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:
IAZA wrote:
I have both

thank you very much for your input IAZA!
sounds a bit as had to be expected..
I don't find the Sony all that bad, really..well, corners sometimes are weak at a disturbing level. I guess the Heliar must be better in this respect too, right?

Yes. but unless you have NEX5N, there's will be a color shift on edges, specially when stop down. 5N has correction for wide lens right?
I use nex5, but I can live with color shift.
SEL 16 is NOT bad lens, but heliar is just better Wink price isn't lie Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got the 18ZM and 5cm so no real pics with those yet. I had the CV15 (which was horrible), than the Tokina 17, then to Canon 24/2 before going with the 18 ZM. So far so good Smile With the G lenses, I've used all of the adapters before finally staying with the Metabones. I have no problem focusing the G lenses with the Metabones adapter. I also have the Contax G 28 but I'm going to be sellign since purchasing the amazing Sigma 30.

Edit, updated 18 zm pic:

kuuan wrote:
nonac wrote:

Zeiss 18 ZM
Sigma 30
Contax G 45
Contax G 90
Nikkor 5cm 1.4

sounds like a dream set to me, Nonac!

the Zeiss 18mm sure must be a winner...a bit costly though Wink

various times I have read that the Contax G 45mm is the sharpest lens around..how do you find the focusing of your G lenses via adapter?

oh..the rangefinder Nikkor 1.4/50 right? a dream lens!!

anywhere we can see your photos you have been taking with these lenses?

best regards,
Andreas

Last edited by nonac on Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:07 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nonac wrote:
I just got the 18ZM and 5cm so no real pics with those yet. I had the CV15 (which was horrible), than the Tokina 17, then to Canon 24/2 before going with the 18 ZM. So far so good Smile With the G lenses, I've used all of the adapters before finally staying with the Metabones. I have no problem focusing the G lenses with the Metabones adapter. I also have the Contax G 28 but I'm going to be sellign since purchasing the amazing Sigma 30.

Edit, here is a quick pic with the 18 ZM

looks very impressive!!
thank you for posting, also thank you for your recommendation of the Metabones adapter for the G lenses.

Sure these lenses are very tempting! The ZM18 costs around 1000 though, right?
The Sigma really must be a winner! I also really love my Pentax K f2.8/30. of course it is bigger, but so far it keeps me from being tempted by the Sigma.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it's around 1k used but well worth it if you use that focal length. The Sigma 30 is a no brainer for any NEX owner Smile

kuuan wrote:
nonac wrote:

Edit, here is a quick pic with the 18 ZM

looks very impressive!!
thank you for posting, also thank you for your recommendation of the Metabones adapter for the G lenses.

Sure these lenses are very tempting! The ZM18 costs around 1000 though, right?
The Sigma really must be a winner! I also really love my Pentax K f2.8/30. of course it is bigger, but so far it keeps me from being tempted by the Sigma.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:
LucisPictor wrote:
kuuan wrote:

(

Yes, it's shorter.

and I'd imagine lighter too..

What I actually meant by "long" was the focal length.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like my Hexanon 1,8/40, it is really small, very sharp stopped down to 2,8, and for my taste the ideal focal length. I take 90% of all shots with it. For wideangel 2,8/24 is hard to beat, 1,8/85 is simply incredibly sharp. But those stay almost always in the bag or at home.
I could live with the 40 and nothing else, maybe a good closeup lens too.
That doesnt mean 35mm rangefinder lenses are out of the question...but which one?

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the Hexanon 1.8/40 but actually prefer the Minolta 2/45, nicer colours and bokeh to my eyes.

The Russian RF lenses are great buys, I can very highly recommend the Jupiter-8 2/50, it's a stunning performer on the NEX, as is the Industar-50, I would never part with either.

I find the Tokina 3.5/17 to be fantastic on the NEX too, it stays on my NEX-3 most of the time.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Hex 1.8/40 will certainly be the first one I use when I get a NEX.

If you want small, compact,, Super Triplet Perar 28/4 or 35/3.5 is the only way to go.
Bring your big checkbook with you. Wink

a voustube on the 35/3.5
http://youtu.be/WnAurbkK42k