Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Leica Elmar 3,5cm f3.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 6:07 pm    Post subject: Leica Elmar 3,5cm f3.5 Reply with quote

One of the smallest lens what I ever try, really, really small. I got positive impression. Sharp wide open and perform pretty well at every distance.
Any experience ?

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hooray for the man who takes photographs and actually judges what the lens does Very Happy In fact, give him a medal - !

For the others, just plow through Leica User Forum to read how the "experts" regurgitate what they think Erwin Puts' MTF curves mean Mad You could get really hacked-off . . .

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this a wide angle for the Leica ?

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scsambrook wrote:
Hooray for the man who takes photographs and actually judges what the lens does Very Happy In fact, give him a medal - !

For the others, just plow through Leica User Forum to read how the "experts" regurgitate what they think Erwin Puts' MTF curves mean Mad You could get really hacked-off . . .

Laughing I try to avoid Leica fun club much as I can that is not my world Laughing

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
Is this a wide angle for the Leica ?

Yes, 35mm lens for Leica.

You can see my results and lens itself here.

http://forum.mflenses.com/leitz-elmar-3-5cm-f3-5-on-sony-nex-t49904.html

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cute !

And it has Elmar bokeh.
I see the same from the Argus Cintar (Elmar clone).

I am surprised this is a rare lens. This should have been cheap to make and very popular.
Attention Samyang! You can sell one of these to everybody who has a Bessa, Fed, Zorki, or Kiev !

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
Very cute !

And it has Elmar bokeh.
I see the same from the Argus Cintar (Elmar clone).

I am surprised this is a rare lens. This should have been cheap to make and very popular.
Attention Samyang! You can sell one of these to everybody who has a Bessa, Fed, Zorki, or Kiev !

Laughing yes, it looks not difficult to make it.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprising Zeiss didn't make something similar, I suppose the 40mm Tessar is as close as they made.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasn't the 40mm Tessar for SLR ?
Or is there one for Contax ?

Also, maybe the Elmar is easy to tweak for wider angle.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the 4.5/40 Tessar was for the Contax SLR. There was an 8/28 Tessar for the Contax RF.

It shouldn't be difficult to make a wide angle Tessar, you just change the front glass, after all this is what Zeiss did with the Pro-Tessars for the Contaflex.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Contaflex Pro-Tessars aren't actually Tessars at all I understand.
They are pretty complex multi-element arrangements.
Heck, even the Pantar accessory lenses are 6-7 elements, not triplets.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, they are more complex, but what I mean is, it's just the frong glass of the Tessar that needs to be redesigned to make it a wider angle. You can make a 35mm Tessar, after all, the Minox had one, so I'm just wondering why Zeiss didn't make one and Leitz did (the Elmar being similar to the Tessar)

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
...so I'm just wondering why Zeiss didn't make one and Leitz did (the Elmar being similar to the Tessar)

I thought the classic Elmar 50/3.5 is a cooke triplet (like Cassar-Anastigmat, Domiplan etc.) but I can't find any diagrams on the net.

I think they didn't produce a wide angle Tessar simply because the Biogon was better.
(Biogon 35mm/2.8 is from 1935)

Last edited by ForenSeil on Tue May 22, 2012 12:03 am; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Wikipedia is sometimes wrong but:

Quote:
Leitz Elmar
It is sometimes thought that The Leitz Elmar 50/3.5 was a Tessar copy or clone. This is not the case. Although the lenses appear similar in layout, there is a lot more to the design and performance of a lens than simply the layout of the glass elements. The position of the stop, the optical characteristics of the glasses used for each element, the curvature of each lens surface, and the negative format which the lens is designed to cover, are all vital to the performance of the lens, and in the Leica lens these were all different to the Tessar. When the Leica was being developed Oscar Barnack tried a 50mm Tessar, but because it had been designed to cover only the 18x24mm field of a cine frame he found the coverage of the Leica 24x36mm format to be inadequate. The lens designed by Max Berek for the Leica rangefinder camera was a modified Cooke Triplet with five elements in three groups, the third group being three cemented elements, with the aperture stop in the first air space. This lens, called the Elmax, gave good coverage of the 24x36mm format and was used until improved optical glass allowed the third group to be simplified to a cemented pair and then lens was renamed the Elmar. It was not until Zeiss Ikon were developing the Contax camera to compete with the Leica that the Tessar was redesigned to cover a 24x36mm negative.[4]

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Well, Wikipedia is sometimes wrong but:

Quote:
Leitz Elmar
It is sometimes thought that The Leitz Elmar 50/3.5 was a Tessar copy or clone. This is not the case. Although the lenses appear similar in layout, there is a lot more to the design and performance of a lens than simply the layout of the glass elements. The position of the stop, the optical characteristics of the glasses used for each element, the curvature of each lens surface, and the negative format which the lens is designed to cover, are all vital to the performance of the lens, and in the Leica lens these were all different to the Tessar. When the Leica was being developed Oscar Barnack tried a 50mm Tessar, but because it had been designed to cover only the 18x24mm field of a cine frame he found the coverage of the Leica 24x36mm format to be inadequate. The lens designed by Max Berek for the Leica rangefinder camera was a modified Cooke Triplet with five elements in three groups, the third group being three cemented elements, with the aperture stop in the first air space. This lens, called the Elmax, gave good coverage of the 24x36mm format and was used until improved optical glass allowed the third group to be simplified to a cemented pair and then lens was renamed the Elmar. It was not until Zeiss Ikon were developing the Contax camera to compete with the Leica that the Tessar was redesigned to cover a 24x36mm negative.[4]

Thanks! Sounds very plausible Smile I didn't know the a cooke triplet could consist of more than 3 elements (Tessar is also a cooke triplet).

Last edited by ForenSeil on Tue May 22, 2012 12:06 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ForenSeil wrote:

I think they didn't produce a wide angle Tessar simply because the Biogon was better.

And faster.