Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

New Leica M cameras
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:53 pm    Post subject: New Leica M cameras Reply with quote

Leica released a new camera called "M" (originality was abundant that day obviously)
Main features:
- 24 MP CMOS sensor
- Liveview
- Video recording
- Compatibility with both M and R lenses

They also released a scaled down version called "M-E" which has a 18 MP CCD sensor and does photo only (no video)

The "M" is obviously a tentative to bring the M cameras into the 21th century (losing the rangefinder in favour of liveview focusing)
The "M-E" appears in fact nothing else but a M9 with liveview instead of rangefinder and with added R lens compatibility (which is however possible
also on all other older M cameras, albeit of course more awkwardly due to the lack of liveview).

Info: http://www.robertwhite.co.uk/blog/

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as you know orio, i have often taken issue with the leica 'value' proposition. however, this 'new' M is truly groundbreaking as it is the first and perhaps forever only full frame, real digital rangefinder that can also properly utilize just about any slr lens ever made. this is truly groundbreaking, totally unique, and imo leica can charge whatever the hell they want for it! this is truly the first leica product i really covet.
tony

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbelyell wrote:
however, this 'new' M is truly groundbreaking as it is the first and perhaps forever only full frame, real digital rangefinder that can also properly utilize just about any slr lens ever made.

Tony, from what I understand (but maybe I'm getting it wrong) it is not a rangefinder camera.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M-E sounds good to me, 18mp is enough and I don't want video.

Doubt it will be priced at anything like a level I can afford though.

And I'd just use it with my M39 Russian lenses anyways so Leicists would hate me. Wink

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
rbelyell wrote:
however, this 'new' M is truly groundbreaking as it is the first and perhaps forever only full frame, real digital rangefinder that can also properly utilize just about any slr lens ever made.

Tony, from what I understand (but maybe I'm getting it wrong) it is not a rangefinder camera.

It has the window for a rf on the front, but it's not clear if it still has one.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

It has the window for a rf on the front, but it's not clear if it still has one.

Right. Well, if it has the rangefinder, that would complement the M model excellently, but it would make the M-E redundant,
since it would became a nearly identical replica of the existing M9 (besides, now that I read again, support of R lenses in the M-E model
is not mentioned), with only the liveview added (which as a M9 user, I never found the need of).

I am really impressed by the lack of creativity of Leica marketing however, the "M" name is ambiguous and the "M-E" frankly
sounds horrible. Laughing It matches Zeiss when they named their new rangefinder "Zeiss Ikon" Rolling Eyes
A new concept camera would have deserved a brand new name in my opinion. Also because if excess of conservative attitude is
the accusation/public perception that Leica tried to overcome with these releases, staying ambiguously linked with a name of
the past, albeit glorious, is a disputable choice IMO

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't care what they called it, matters not one jot to me, how much are they charging for it?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
I don't care what they called it, matters not one jot to me, how much are they charging for it?

With Leica name on them, I expect nothing reasonable Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now watch the R mount lenses going up.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course they are both rangefinders. It would be mad of Leica to drop their USP Smile

The M adds liveview, optional evf, video and weather-sealing. The M-E looks like its a renamed M9
(couldn't find a mention of liveview added).

Steve Huff has some opinions here:
http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2012/09/17/the-new-leica-m-and-m-e-is-here-leica-made-some-smart-moves/

and here's a promotional youtube video for the Leica M:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_4xHIqU4t8

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
rbelyell wrote:

For me it seems like a Nex-7 - "only" with a full frame sensor

Wink

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Leica site - http://en.leica-camera.com/photography/m_system/m_new/

The sensor - http://cmosis.com/news/press_releases/new_leica_m_uses_cmosis_24_mp_cmos_image_sensor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the ME is nothing but an M9 in grey, an attempt to keep that camera relevent and stabilize its resale value. but the new M is an insane piece of engineering. take a good look, you won't see another camera like this ever. this is the kind of out of the box thinking leica always claimed, but imo seldom delivered. and it is the kind of product loads of folks expected from hasselblad, instead of that POS frilly nex7.

maybe it will lead to increase in R mount lenses, but those lenses can already be used on other high IQ cameras. this is the ideal camera for those among us who already are invested in both RF and slr (R mount and virtually any other mount) legacy glass, not really someone just embarking on slr. and for those of us who want to spend about $7000 on a camera! but unlike other of their offerings, imo, the uniqueness and engineering required for this camera entitles them to charge whatever they want. it is the worlds first truly 'universal' camera.
tony

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks indeed like a terrific camera and one that probably can make history!

However -and I'd like to make clear, I'm not saying this because of the Fox and the Grapes- Wink it does add nothing to the reason why I like and use my M9.
If I had to shoot a video, I would use my Canon cameras anyway -because they're reflex, because they are more balanced on tripod, because they can use a lot of reflex lenses that I have.
Liveview, yes it's nice to have - on a reflex camera. Because you can make macro well, because you can shoot portraits and studio shots in focus, etc.
I would not use a M camera for macro and for portraits anyway. OK, you have the electronic viewfinder. Still, based on my experience, you (or, at least, I) want to have
the almost tactile experience of the reflex vision when shooting something where focus is so decisive, like portraits or macro. It's a matter of feeling with the subject, of intimacy,
that I receive from the reflex and I can't get from EV. Electronic viewfinder "can work", but it's not the same spontaneity, at least in my book.

So, in the end, why I like to have and use my M9? Because it's a rangefinder camera of terrific quality. That's it. No more than that.
The other features are excellent if you want to buy only one camera that acts as both rangefinder and quasi-reflex depending on the occasions. That is not my case.
And as a rangefinder only, for street use, the added bulk and electronics are something that I don't need.
And neither I need the AA filter in front of the CMOS sensor - I'm doing so well with the filter-less CCD of M9, now that I calibrated my profiles.
The only thing that I would like and I don't have with the M9, is a better high ISO. Useful in some situation, although not vital (as it appears from my three years use of the camera).
Surely not enough reason for the new M - as far as I am concerned.

I leave for last the most stupid remark Laughing I like to be on the streets with a rangefinder. I mean a true one, a pure one. Technologically advanced inside,
but bare bones outside when it comes to use. It feels good. It makes the camera an almost natural extension of my body, not some electronic weapon that I have to handle and navigate.
I think many people would be surprised by the way I use my M9. I use it very primitively compared to how I use my reflex cameras.
I don't watch previews, I rarely look at the histogram. I leave the LCD covered all the time, except at the beginning of a session or when lighting changes significantly.
Plus, I feel a connection with the history of photography. I don't get the same sensation from an EV or liveview. I respect them, but I don't feel "that thing" with them.
Probably because I was raised with film cameras. I'm sure this issue is laughable for younger guys who started on digital. Smile

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

orio, does the new M have an AA filter? are you sure?
tony

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbelyell wrote:
orio, does the new M have an AA filter? are you sure?
tony

No, I'm not sure. That's my impression from reading the description, but it's not stated explicitly.
What makes me think so is that they state explicity the absence of filter for the M-E
that's what makes me guess the M has it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, looks damn compact, not only for a FF
On the pics it looks like it has both, EVF and rangefinder!
http://en.leica-camera.com/photography/m_system/m_new/

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ForenSeil wrote:
Wow, looks damn compact, not only for a FF

lenght and height are identical to the M9
depth is 0,5 cms thicker
I expected worse, really.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems we will now see a FF NEX with interchangeable lenses soon.
So, even if we cannot afford this Leica M, it is a welcome appearance.

Has anyone found any full-resolution samples online?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There were 5 complaints i had with the m9 ->

1. high ISO performance. but if you have a f1 or f1.4 lens, this isnt such a big deal really
2. backlit dials cuz i want to see what i'm fumbling with at night
3. weather proofing
4. ergonomics. it was simply too slick to use and hold without a strap around your neck and the thumbs-up add on
5. piss poor display for such an expensive camera

The M solves 4 of these - high ISO, weather sealing, better ergonomics and a better display

I will buy one. It's exactly what i wanted. A mostly RF camera that still lets me do macros and tele. Brilliant!

I am with Orio when he says the m9 is a primal connection between the user physically, the vision he has, the tool he chooses, the subject he wants to capture and the method he chooses to make that capture. My M9 will never be sold.

Now i have a 1 body solution for all my needs. Thankfully, due to laziness, the new canon body i wanted to order wasn't ordered. The barely used nex7 + lenses which is lying around can be sold. The 350D can be sold. All my C/Y lenses are back in the game and i dont need to spend a lot of money on wide angles and tele lenses for canon EF mount.

I simply stick the C/Y lens on the M body and voila!

Wait, i already did that awhile ago Laughing

http://forum.mflenses.com/c-y-distagon-28-28-and-c-y-planar-50-14---on-the-leica-m9-t42901.html

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am i correct in saying this leica allows other lenses as a part of its design? I was told that the point of a leica camera was a leica lens? Wink

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maxcastle wrote:
Am i correct in saying this leica allows other lenses as a part of its design? I was told that the point of a leica camera was a leica lens? Wink

Thats the wet dream, of every manufacturer Laughing

But for users who want the best of all the worlds, hybrids are the way to go

Some may like a leica body but prefer a zeiss or konica or voigtlander lens.

Same applies for the other way - some may prefer a Zeiss body with a leica or konica or voigtlander lens.

the fun is in the mix!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hari wrote:
maxcastle wrote:

Same applies for the other way - some may prefer a Zeiss body with a leica or konica or voigtlander lens.

the fun is in the mix!

Jeez Hari where were you when i needed you? Smile have a look at my r3 post in manual lenses section, with a comment like the above you would be cast down with the sodomites!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maxcastle wrote:
Hari wrote:
maxcastle wrote:

the fun is in the mix!

Jeez Hari where were you when i needed you? Smile have a look at my r3 post in manual lenses section, with a comment like the above you would be cast down with the sodomites!

Sorry about that mate but i'm surprised you get such a feeling!

In a galaxy of hybrids, this is the epicenter of experimentation!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hari wrote:

Sorry about that mate but i'm surprised you get such a feeling!

In a galaxy of hybrids, this is the epicenter of experimentation!

i agree Smile