Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Is fixer getting rare? [was: 400 135 film]
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 10:00 am    Post subject: Is fixer getting rare? [was: 400 135 film] Reply with quote

[Is 400 135 film really getting rare?
Can't really see many entries on *bay.]

Last edited by kansalliskala on Wed May 16, 2012 10:08 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

colour or BW? I don´t watch at ebay, but there are plenty of fresh and old stocks in my country.. is it so bad in finland?

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry,

Black & White

I'm looking cheaper alternatives than Ilford 7€ / roll.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don´t mind Kodak Tri-x (as it has bit different tonality than HP5+), you can buy it rebadged as Arista Premium from Freestylephoto

http://freestylephoto.biz/192364-Arista-Premium-BandW-400-ISO-35mm-x-36-exp.

so far I know, it´s the cheapest new-stock solution. They also have some nice prices on other films - just search their eshop. Funny is that price including shipping, import duties and taxes in EU... wait for it... is cheaper or the same as UK suppliers.

edit: and if you don´t have problem with bulk loading, try to search for cine Kodak Double-X. It is ussualy provided in 400ft rolls, but it has really great tonality (do you know movie Control from Anton Corbijn? it was shoot on this and Plus-X) so it is worth some uncomfortable handling.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, interesting site, Holgas and Leicas. But really good prices.

I thought that Tri-X needs its own development chemicals but it doesn't?

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tri-X is the universal B&W film the way D-76 is the universal developer - you should be able to find dev times for just about any developer you have in mind for Tri-X

The damn stuff has one foible: it curls like hell, in both directions.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nesster wrote:

Agfa APX too. I dried it in our greenhouse (most dust-free place in our home because of the dogs), we watched it to climb upwards like a snake. Smile

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kansalliskala wrote:
Nesster wrote:

Agfa APX too. I dried it in our greenhouse (most dust-free place in our home because of the dogs), we watched it to climb upwards like a snake. Smile

Use pegs at both ends

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

400 ISO film has never been cheap even in the "good old times", but 7 Euros is insane price!
Buy from my friend Dario at Westernphoto, he has very good prices:
http://www.westernphoto.it/sell-online/Ilford-9

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Use pegs at both ends

Tried that, the damn thing curves around the axis and it's impossible to get into scanner. If you let it roll other way it is slightly easier to handle.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
400 ISO film has never been cheap even in the "good old times", but 7 Euros is insane price!

Thanks, 4,72 sounds much more acceptable.

This is my standard shop, and I still have to drive there or send my brother-in-law to get the stuff.

http://tinyurl.com/dy9a4hw

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

7dayshop.com have always been good to deal with, their delivery is quick and relable.

http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/default.php?cPath=777

I don't know how their prices compare to yours in Euro's, but it's worth a look.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:

There is ISO400 bulk film from FOMA 42 EUR enough for 24 pcs 24 frames roll. Less than 2 EUR /roll

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kansalliskala wrote:
Orio wrote:
Use pegs at both ends

Tried that, the damn thing curves around the axis and it's impossible to get into scanner. If you let it roll other way it is slightly easier to handle.
I use Patterson clips and I've never had an issue with Tri-X.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:

Do you cut the negatives before drying?

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kansalliskala wrote:
Sorry,

Black & White

I'm looking cheaper alternatives than Ilford 7€ / roll.

7€ sounds a bit steep. I buy most of my films at an online-shop here in Germany (www.macodirect.de). They have plenty of different brands and of course some choices for iso 400. Cheapest would be the Rollei Retro 400 for less than 3€ if you buy a 20pieces pack. I think Fomapan 400 is also quite cheap and Ilford HP5 costs less than 5EUR.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kansalliskala wrote:
martinsmith99 wrote:

It´s not needed to cut it before drying - if you put these quite heavy clips on the end of film (heavy in comparison with film), it won´t climb up. It turns a bit in one axis, but you may flatten it in negative carriers under books for few days and they get totally flat. Also I wouldn´t cut it before drying, because you can damage the film accidentaly and any manipulation leads to small dust glued into emulsion, which cannot be taken off.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Yashica promotional clothes-pin like plastic clips. One at the bottom, and there's no curling while drying.

However, as soon as I start to cut the film into strips after drying, it's curl time. Putting the film in sleeves and under a weight for some long period helps. I've seen others here say to put the film, rolled up in reverse, in a film canister.

Tri-X is really one of the big offenders in this... once on the scanner, if you've managed to get it reasonably flat longitudinally, there's still a big dishing curl across the film. I've bought some anr glass inserts to deal with this, though haven't used them yet.

I used to avoid Kodak b&w just for this curling reason... but have a large stash of it thanks to daughter's photo class last year.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nesster wrote:
II've seen others here say to put the film, rolled up in reverse, in a film canister.

I once dried a strip of film in spiral. It didn'r curle axially but left some strange marks on the negative.

like this
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Lentille_de_fresnel.jpg

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

berraneck wrote:
kansalliskala wrote:
martinsmith99 wrote:

It´s not needed to cut it before drying - if you put these quite heavy clips on the end of film (heavy in comparison with film), it won´t climb up. It turns a bit in one axis, but you may flatten it in negative carriers under books for few days and they get totally flat. Also I wouldn´t cut it before drying, because you can damage the film accidentaly and any manipulation leads to small dust glued into emulsion, which cannot be taken off.

+1
allow 24 hrs drying in a dry place hanged with clips at both ends
Never cut the film in the first 24 hrs
After one day, cut the strips and put them between two sheets of parchment paper, then put a heavy book over.
Leave there another 24 hours, then scan, and then put the strips inside proper archival sheets.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
allow 24 hrs drying in a dry place hanged with clips at both ends
Never cut the film in the first 24 hrs
After one day, cut the strips and put them between two sheets of parchment paper, then put a heavy book over.
Leave there another 24 hours, then scan, and then put the strips inside proper archival sheets.

Ok, thank you.

I understand now one thing. It isn't the water that dries but the film itself. This explains a lot. I been doing the book thing already but with little effect.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not many fixers available any more. Tricky to order online.

Fix AG and Ilford Rapid only choices locally?

edit: update: just ordered some from ebay.de

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I make my own fixer from Sodium Thiosulphate crystals, I dissolve 500g in 2l of water, works perfect, I've used it on many films and it lasts for about 20-25 films.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much one had to dilute this?

Quote:
Sodium thiosulfate, solution 0,1 mol/l (0,1 N)

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can order the excellent Ornano Superfix F 205 directly at the factory, along with the other surviving products of the formerly large line of photo chemicals.
It's an Ammonium Thiosulfate based fixer with very rapid action and long shelf life. You can use it for both film (1+4 dilution) and paper (1+9 dilution)
1 liter of concentrated product costs 9 Euros; they make also bulk offers (10 liters for 50 Euros).
ornano@ornano.it