Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Is fixer getting rare? [was: 400 135 film]
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
1 liter of concentrated product costs 9 Euros; they make also bulk offers (10 liters for 50 Euros).

Thanks, shipping costs are quite high for solutions, that's why better buy fixer locally, film and developer online.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kansalliskala wrote:
How much one had to dilute this?

Quote:
Sodium thiosulfate, solution 0,1 mol/l (0,1 N)
that is 15.811 g (anhydrous) in a liter

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tons of problems with TMax 400 curling. And the emulsions takes FOREVER for the fixer to remove. I'm just giving it 12-minute fix times now. Fewer than 10 minutes and the negatives are purple and have to be re-fixed. So to counter the curling and long fix time, I wash it for about 20-30 minutes. I have a nylon cord strung across my shower and then just hang all my film under the showerhead and let it run while I have dinner. That helps, but the TMax still curls axially, though less so.

As for fixer being rare, not in my experience here in the U.S. It may be a lull in the eBay sales cycle for photo chemicals. Worst case scenario is that fixer formulae are fairly easy to find and mixing it from scratch ought not be meaningfully more expensive than buying it a pack at a time.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
I have tons of problems with TMax 400 curling. And the emulsions takes FOREVER for the fixer to remove. I'm just giving it 12-minute fix times now. Fewer than 10 minutes and the negatives are purple and have to be re-fixed. So to counter the curling and long fix time, I wash it for about 20-30 minutes.

Have you tried a hardening fixer? In my experience it effectively reduces the curling. I use the Ornano Presto F90 which is very rapid (energetic) and hardening. It reduces curling by about half.
Unfortunately, it's not produced anymore, I am left with less than one bottle. Sad
After it is finished, I plan to use the Ornano Superfix F 205 in 1:4 dilution with some Tetenal hardening additive poured into it. I hope it will be fast, although surely not as fast as the Presto.
One last advice, when using T-Max developer, trash the fixer with about the same frequency as you trash the developer (maximum 2 rolls). And in any case, never leave on the shelf
for more than one week a fixer that has been used after T-Max developer.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.macodirect.de/rollei-speed-fixer-2000-p-2343.html

5l for 24 Eur this is a good price i think and you will hardly need more fixer in next 2-3 years.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using a hardening fixer, yes, but I admit that I hold onto fixer longer than I probably should since I have less of it than developer. I have noticed that curling gets worse as it ages, with everything but Ilford P4 having a light curl last time. P4 doesn't curl ever. It tries to straighten out inside the dark bag.

I just need to stop in the photo store down the street from my office and buy a few new bags of fixer.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With normal developer, fixer can last longer (but it's not recommended to keep fixer that has been already used once for longer than 7-10 days anyway). But always remember that the older and more used the fixer, the more fixing time you need, always with the risk that it's not good enough.
With TMax developer, it is imperative to change fixer frequently, because the TMax dev exhausts it quickly.
Simple fixer in powder bags comes as cheap as it gets. Really it does not make sense to risk a 4 Eur value film roll to save a few cents on a very used fixer.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest to mix your own fixer - it is very easy and cheap. I use TF-2 fixer, which lasts long, doesn´t smell bad and works just fine:

Chemical Amount Units
Distilled water
Sodium Thiosulfate 250 g
Sodium Sulfite (anhy) 15 g
Sodium Metaborate 10 g
Distilled water to make 1000 ml