Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nikon D4
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:18 pm    Post subject: Nikon D4 Reply with quote

Rumor Wink http://nikonrumors.com/2011/12/11/nikon-d4-specs-16-2mp-11-fps-102400-native-iso-xqd-memory-card.aspx/

Quote:
Nikon D4 specs:

-16.2 MP
-11 fps
-100-102,400 native ISO range, expandable to 50 and 204,800
-CF + XQD memory card slots! That's right, the Nikon D4 will have the new Compact Flash XQD memory card slot.
-Compatible with the new Nikon WT-5 wireless transmitter
-Integrated Ethernet in the camera
-Face detection/recognition function that will be working in the viewfinder (maybe some type of a hybrid viewfinder? Nikon had several related patents)
-Improved video, I have no other details on that but my guess is 1080p/30/25/24 and 720p/60/30/25/24 similar to the Nikon D800
-Uncompressed video out through the HDMI port
-Ability to assign the two buttons on the front of the camera to smooth aperture control during video recording
-Improved 51 AF points
-AF detection range will go down to EV-2.0 (the D3s went to EV -1)
-Autofocus system: 9 cross-type sensors that are operational up to f/8

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Nikon D4 Reply with quote

mastazeko wrote:
102,400 native ISO range

Shocked Shocked

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard rumblings that Nikon have been buying a ton of ad space in magazines for Jan 2012, so I imagine it will be the D4. If the specs are accurate it looks like a winner. I'd still prefer the D3X for landscape work however.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Nikon D4 Reply with quote

Quote:
Nikon D4 specs:
-Integrated Ethernet in the camera

?

wifi or gprs or what, not cable I think? Smile

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the upcoming Canon 1DX has gigabit cable ethernet so i guess Nikon D4 will have the same.

Link to picture http://content.reviewed.com/products/13480/specs/2873/CANON-1DX-FI-PORTS2.jpg

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mastazeko wrote:
Well the upcoming Canon 1DX has gigabit cable ethernet so i guess Nikon D4 will have the same.

Link to picture http://content.reviewed.com/products/13480/specs/2873/CANON-1DX-FI-PORTS2.jpg

That is very handy if you want to use 1D as a webcam. Smile

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I understand things correctly, the reason why the D4 has "only" 16mp is so it can operate effectively at very high ISO levels. I guess that makes sense. I looked over the page at the rumors site, and it makes no mention of sensor size, but given the designation of the camera I guess it's safe to assume that this will be an FF DSLR.

I just wish Canon and Nikon would start marketing affordable FF DLSRs. Cool Chances are this new Nikon will cost significantly more than I typically spend on a clean used car.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the reason for cutting the megapixels is that their lenses look bad at that resolution. Wink

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
the reason why the D4 has "only" 16mp is so it can operate effectively at very high ISO levels. I guess that makes sense.

it does indeed. At least, it would for me.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since 2006 I've made a living out of 10 and 12 mpix DSLRs, and produced quite a number of 70x100cm prints which look damn good. The two or three times per year that I have needed more I've rented a 'blad and digital back. The only one who would have benefitted from me owning a larger sensor would have been hard drive manufacturers.

AF which works at EV -2, high ISO performance succeeding that of the D3 and D3s... this is a machine built for photojournalists and wedding photographers. I would have pre-ordered two D4's already if it was possible. I don't care when they start shipping, I will anyway receive mine fast thanks to excellent NPS service staff at Nikon.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rumor from Sony camp is the Nikon D4 will be using one of the FF chip from Sony. The most interestigng rumor is Sony will be producing not 1 but 3 FF cameras in 2012. For a company currently without any FF DSLRs on their catalogue I highly doubt it. (Yes, both A900 and A850 has been discontinued).

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my_photography wrote:
Rumor from Sony camp is the Nikon D4 will be using one of the FF chip from Sony. The most interestigng rumor is Sony will be producing not 1 but 3 FF cameras in 2012. For a company currently without any FF DSLRs on their catalogue I highly doubt it. (Yes, both A900 and A850 has been discontinued).

Hope this is correct. I would seem that having spent so much for a collection of FF Zeiss AF lenses would justify a camera to use them.

K.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Nikon D4 Reply with quote

mastazeko wrote:

-CF + XQD memory card slots! That's right, the Nikon D4 will have the new Compact Flash XQD memory card slot.

With that new standard just outside to door, it might be a good idea to pile up CF-cards before you can't buy them anymore.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Nikon D4 Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
With that new standard just outside to door, it might be a good idea to pile up CF-cards before you can't buy them anymore.

... or wait for some pro to sell his/her surplus on eBay - I have 18 x 4 GB, 8 x 8 GB, 4 x 16 GB and 2 x 32 GB piled up and I'm positive that once the new storage media is available I'll get rid of my surplus 4 and 8 GB cards by selling them as a lot on eBay (they're all fast Sandisk Extreme III Ducati or similar). I don't think age or usage history matters, I have never experienced a CF card failure and I shoot a lot (my D3 has 170,000 and still sings)

Anyway, the Nikon invitation came yesterday so I look forward to news and sample photos (the camera itself is usually not available at launch events). I'll of course post news in this topic once I have my hands on the official stuff (not rumors).

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking forward to your hands-on report! Also any news as to likely street price.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Nikon D4 Reply with quote

Esox lucius wrote:
... I'll get rid of my surplus 4 and 8 GB cards by selling them as a lot on eBay...

Gimme a call then, will ya'?

Esox lucius wrote:

Anyway, the Nikon invitation came yesterday so I look forward to news and sample photos (the camera itself is usually not available at launch events). I'll of course post news in this topic once I have my hands on the official stuff (not rumors).

Looking forward to reading your report.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's launched and it looks like Canon has the better spec camera.

Surprised that the sensor only has native ISO 100-12800 and 10-11fps compared with 12-14fps on the 1DX and a native resolution of 100-51200.

Proof will be in the pudding though Smile

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is is now official:

http://www.nikon.com/news/2012/0106_flagship_01.htm

Here are some of the info I find interesting:

. Fullframe
. 16.2M CMOS (36.0 x 23.9mm)
. ISO 50 to 204800
. face recognition (I am surprise with this one)
. 51 focusing point
. Full HD. Movies up to 29 minutes 59 seconds can be recorded.
. Shuttle life of 400,000 cycles
. Time-lapse photography feature. Camera can automatically takes photos at selected intervals.
. Buttons backlights
. 921k dot LCD monitor
. Price in US $5999.95
. Availability: Feb 2012

Other links:
http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/01/06/NikonD4launched

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my_photography wrote:

. face recognition (I am surprise with this one)

It's available when shooting video, and as anyone who has done video with a DSLR can testify, it will come in as a very useful feature (just as the seamless aperture control during video)

Here is what I find interesting (from a PJ & wedding photographer perspective):

- buffer size up to 100 RAW frames and 200 JPEG frames (10s burst sequence, in other words)
- The 1.2x crop mode is perfect complement to the full frame, 1.5x and 5:4 modes already on the D3/D3s/D700
- small but notable changes in ergonomics of the body, especially the vertical grip looks promising
- 10 (full frame) and 11 fps (crop mode) is of course handy for nailing the ice hockey player (or hasty wedding kiss!)
- improved AF. the D3s AF capability already was all I needed but thank you nevertheless
- improved CPU/AI marriage ie the metering modes now have more than the previous 30,000 pre-programmed lighting and white balance compositions, which already made Auto WB near perfect and matrix metering + TTL an intelligent combo
- AF capable of locking in EV -2 comes in handy for Scandinavian weddings in October to February (and +19 EV comes in handy for those sunny and hazy days in Antarctica)
- even better RGB sensor means I will have more intelligent TTL, very good news for fast changing wedding moments

I need to see large prints to confirm, but from the sample photos made available it looks like the color noise and dynamic range at high ISO has been improved even further: D4 ISO 12800 looks as clean as D3 at ISO 3200-4000, and a D3S on ISO 4000-5000. D4 6400 looks like D3 ISO 2000-2500. This means I can stop down more at weddings, or freeze motion in very dark hallways. This is outrageously better than anything available or announced, but who needs this sensitivity many may ask? Well, anyone who relies on fill flash when > ISO 800 is needed is missing out on a lot, I can tell you.

This camera will be a PJ, wedding, sports or nature photographer's dream come true. Only downside I can see is that shutter cycle is guaranteed to "only" 400,000 actuations (the D3/D3s factory warranty covers 500,000 shutter actuations)

Yes, I've already ordered mine (two) just as I did place an order for the 85/1.8G AF-S Nikkor today announced.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esox lucius wrote:

I need to see large prints to confirm, but from the sample photos made available it looks like the color noise and dynamic range at high ISO has been improved even further: D4 ISO 12800 looks as clean as D3 at ISO 3200-4000, and a D3S on ISO 4000-5000. D4 6400 looks like D3 ISO 2000-2500.

Wow, if this is correct, this mean Nikon has higher the bar again. Nikon D3 noise is already the best compared to other brands and cameras. If D4 is 2 or 3 times better than D3 in the noise category, it is really incredible. For a Sony DSLR user, I cannot even imagine a day I will be able to use clean ISO 6400.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have only seen web-size images and compared them to my own (web resized) and that was what my comment was based on. Nevertheless, I want to see large prints before I will make any verdicts but there is no denying it looks like Nikon once again has raised the benchmark for the World of available light photography.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even though I will in no way be able to afford any of these pro cameras, I am really looking forward to seeing the D4 v 1DX battle to see if Canon has caught Nikon up in the low light stakes Smile

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just took my first look at it, and i have to say my first impression was 'it's monstrously large'. at a point in time where a cam like the nex7 can potentially rival the IQ and low light ability of the 5d mkii, i cant help think these 2 behemouths, canon and nikon, just dont get it. its like in 2000 when my father in law said to me in reference to the first ipod and comparing it to the at the time ubiquitous sony walkman: 'who's going to use that little thing'? he just didnt get it, and imo neither do these guys. the days of these humongous cams have already passed.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
'it's monstrously large'

However, until there's a large mirrorless, studio quality camera, size isn't of big importance in a studio type setting. And let's not forget that as much as the gear, manufacturer support is also important in these settings.

Still, this type of millstone isn't something I'd like around my neck, or in my paw.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nesster wrote:
Quote:
'it's monstrously large'

However, until there's a large mirrorless, studio quality camera, size isn't of big importance in a studio type setting. And let's not forget that as much as the gear, manufacturer support is also important in these settings.

Still, this type of millstone isn't something I'd like around my neck, or in my paw.

it should inspire a new movie: Dead Camera Walking. Very Happy