Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Is a NEX my best choice ?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:20 pm    Post subject: Is a NEX my best choice ? Reply with quote

I'm having trouble here, I want something that I can use all my favorite lenses on, but I have many different makes and mounts. Logic tells me rationalize the lenses, but they actually owe me very little. I've been lucky to find bargains, they might not be the best but I like most of them.

At the moment I use a Pentax K10 which I like a lot, the reason I changed from being a Canon man to Pentax was I didn't like the digital Canons in the price range, they were too small. I have big hands. But I've grown to respect the K10 and will use it till it drops.
So, I have 3 Pentax autofocus lenses, including the wonderful SMC DA* 50-135 which I don't use nearly enough - whatever I get must be able to use this lens - which is where my confusion starts. Surely a K5 has to be on the list ? My other AF Pentax lenses are nothing special, but that one is.

I then have about 20 M42 and T2 lenses, 6 PK manual focus lenses, 6 Canon FD, 2 Canon EOS ( but nothing special at all so I don't mind not being able to use those ), 5 Minolta MD, 3 Minolta AF - including the 500mm Reflex, which I really want to keep and use. And some M39 off the Zorki.

PK Autofocus
PK Manual focus ( T2 included in those )
M42
Canon FD
Minolta MD
Minolta AF
M39
( Canon EOS is a bonus )

Things I like in a camera.....
Easy and logical menu - I have dyslexia / learning type problems so I don't learn things from instruction manuals at all well. I play until I figure it out. The NEX doesn't have indication on its buttons; that bothers me because I will have big trouble remembering which button does what, I still look at the labels on the K10 buttons. But is the menu of the NEX so simple, LOGICAL, that it's easy to follow ?

I like a viewfinder, but I have an old Canon G3 that has a tiny screen and viewfinder, I use the screen all the time. I can learn to live without the viewfinder, but is the Samsung or Panasonic a serious contender if it comes down to having a viewfinder ?. I love the Canon's fully pivoting screen though, but the NEX screen is good. Perhaps 'I think' I like a viewfinder ?

My Pentax K10 runs out of ISO at 400 for any practical purpose so anything higher is a bonus. But is the difference between 12,800 - 3,200 - of the various contenders worth getting excited about ? I shoot mainly daytime and landscape, I don't reallY crave very high ISO. But when I have it, will I want more ?

I'm more or less convinced that I want a CMOS rather than 4/3, but again, is the difference a deal clincher when making a choice between a camera that I really like the look and feel of, the Panasonic GF2 or G3 and the NEX C3 or 5 which I'm a bit lukewarm about?

The main thing is going to be being able to use the lenses I already have, that's the important thing for me. I want to use all those lenses on one camera. If I can't it'll be a K5.

HELP.......... Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own both a Nikon D700 and a NEX5. I use both but for different reasons.

For me, the D700 is much more a "serious" camera and the NEX5 is a "toy". I especially like the fact that the NEX5 can be combined with so many lenses. Also, the NEX5 can easily be taken with me on a family day trip. With a one-year toddler to take care of, the D700 can be quite a hassle. No such thing with the NEX5... But the most important factor for me to take in the NEX5 is that it can be combined with so many lenses. I have several, and in case of the Russian lenses, I have different copies (different years, with red "P", etc) "just for fun". I find this to have a great and stimulating influence on my creativity, which I later apply on the D700 as well Smile

For me, the menu of the NEX5 is easy. I don't have to change it often, it's always in MF-lens mode Smile
The lack of a viewfinder can be troublesome. I admit that I miss it. Especially when doing night photography...
The NEX5 is not bad up to ISO800. I don't tend to go higher then ISO1600. Spoilt by the D700, I'd say that a decent camera should deliver at least ISO1600 with good image quality. Especially for darker interiors, this can be important (e.g. churches). For me, higher is better Smile

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i also have Dyslexia and struggle with things like you, the Nex has a very logical and easy menu i would say one of the best.
For example on the Af lenses you dont set apertures they call it background deblur and have a nice wheel to adjust it.
Configure the menus correctly by setting the central press and you have access to all the options in under 2 presses.
So configure option 1 to iso, 2, to style,etc
Press centre button you get menu 1 iso then press right you get style, etc change with wheel select. Very easy.
I also have big hands so much so that if i was a lesbiann i would be classed as well endowed.
And i have no issue using the nex.
If you are ever up my way you are welcome to try mine

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Is a NEX my best choice ? Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:

PK Autofocus
PK Manual focus ( T2 included in those )
M42
Canon FD
Minolta MD
Minolta AF
M39
( Canon EOS is a bonus )

all of them will work on the NEX and many others like x-Fujinon or Konica AR too

I never read usermanuals and I have no problems using my NEX.. I can't say if it's a easy menu there or if it just works for me. After many years using only a viewfinder it was a bit strange to have none and use liveview instead. But after a bit "training" this works very well especialy with MF lenses. Sure.. I wouldn't mind a EVF, but for me it's not a must have anymore.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy you say you do mostly landscape and shoot during day. That makes me think that only LCD might be problematic.
My recommendation would be a K-5 and a used, cheap NEX3, or a NEX5N with the EVF.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmmmmmmmmmm,,,,

I think the K5 ( or equivalent ) will happen as a replacement for the K10 when it dies, I do like the K10 a lot and have got to know it well, I recognize its limitations, and hopefully its strong points.

I'm very reassured about the ease of use of the NEX though, thank you guys for your very helpful comments.

I think that a few people here use screen shades when using a NEX in sunshine ? I can see that being a help, and to be honest I find bright sunshine a pain when trying to see the viewfinder display in the K10. When I'm using dark varifocal glasses ( which I do most of the time ) it's just about impossible to see the display so if I'm using a tripod I rely on the top display window to set the aperture etc, but still have to struggle to see the focus confirmation hex' in the viewfinder. Perhaps the 'focus peaking' display would be clearer ?

The problem is that there isn't a local shop that has the range of cameras on display that you can actually play with, most places ( Jessops, Comet, Currys ) have them chained down with no battery in them, and the 'staff' haven't got a clue. It's very difficult to make a choice between cameras that have so many differences, far more than the average DSLR seem to have !

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right, the shade helps a lot on shooting under strong light, and also is a protection to avoid fingertips on the LCD screen Wink
I use mine heavily, here in the sunny Spain is a must to have.

The NEX is my choice for MFLensing, specially when used with Leica LTM thread lenses, adapter is tiny and the whole thing is quite portable.

Regards.
Jes.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just about to take the plunge with an NX100 and from the reviews I've read the menu is supposed to be much easier than the Sony. Plus it has the AMOLED screen which is again supposed to be much better in sunlight than a regular LED.
And as far as I can see there are plenty of adapters available.

Having said that I've never used a Sony and I'm trying to console myself with the fact that I can only afford the Samsung. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have fun with it! I have one now for several weeks, but I'm still waiting for the right adapter (I bought it body-only for EUR 100).

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked at a NEX 3 today in a shop - where do you put your thumb ? It's a simple thing, but every time I picked it up or moved it in my hand my thumb pressed the control wheel thing. Confused The Olympus and the Panasonic ( 4/3 Crying or Very sad ) were wonderful to hold.

I know, I should just buy one and get used to it.................

But now Pentax are offering the K01. Confused I shall be deeply confused Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:

Yes.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
Lloydy wrote:

Yes.

As this is my first post here I'll start by being agreeable and agreeing. Smile

Loved my Nex 5 to bits with my collection of Rokkors.
The only thing that was a fail, and that's on my side, is my increasing farsightedness.
Many shots were out of focus.
Even with peaking.

Just e(r)gonomics.

Keeping my reading glasses on all the time was a pain.
Up, down off then up again Sad.

So when the Nex 5N and 7 were anounced with an EVF.
Instant sell.

All is blissfull with my 7 now.

The 5 and 3 are really cheap now and for those that can live without the EVF it's a steal.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Hatch!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hatch wrote:
LucisPictor wrote:
Lloydy wrote:

Yes.

As this is my first post here I'll start by being agreeable and agreeing. Smile

Loved my Nex 5 to bits with my collection of Rokkors.
The only thing that was a fail, and that's on my side, is my increasing farsightedness.
Many shots were out of focus.
Even with peaking.

Just e(r)gonomics.

Keeping my reading glasses on all the time was a pain.
Up, down off then up again Sad.

So when the Nex 5N and 7 were anounced with an EVF.
Instant sell.

All is blissfull with my 7 now.

The 5 and 3 are really cheap now and for those that can live without the EVF it's a steal.

That's interesting. I wear varifocals - strong ones !

I'm going up to the Lake District in a couple of weeks so I guess I'll ply Ian with beer while I play with his NEX Shocked

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also find focussing without viewfinder a pain. That is the only downside so far. When I have enough money saved, I can buy nex7. In the meantime will follow Attila's previous suggestion and buy an LCD magnifier.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bhargav wrote:
I also find focussing without viewfinder a pain. That is the only downside so far. When I have enough money saved, I can buy nex7. In the meantime will follow Attila's previous suggestion and buy an LCD magnifier.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
bhargav wrote:

LOL I'm one of those people that lke those frankensteinian contraptions.

My Nex 7 was a gift, my 90 year old mother wants to give us our inheritance now, so that she can enjoy us enjoying it.
She hasn't caught on yet that we're funneling it back to her, but who can resist a NEX 7.

My next upgrade will probably be an viewfinder enlarger.
http://fourthirds-user.com/2007/09/olympus_me1_magnifier_eyecup_review.php

Worked a treat with my Nikon D2x.( not this one obviously, the DK-17.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think NEX-7 is my next camera.

reason:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did it, I got a NEX5. Very Happy

I got it from, of all places, QVC Shopping Channel Shocked They have a 'Store Outlet' in a local town that sells all the returns, and it cost £250, in the box with all the paperwork cables and bits and pieces.
I've got 30 days to return it for any reason, and 12 months warranty. The sales girls said that because it's something they might not have in stock in the future they would just give a full refund.
I went to Currys in the same shopping mall and they still had some NEX5 at £350 so I'm happy enough with this price

I've had stuff from this outlet before, and you do have to be a bit careful, I've seen returned power tools that have obviously been used for a DIY project for 29 days of the return period. Rolling Eyes And one of the other NEX5 I looked at had no battery. I know someone who ordered a laptop from an online outlet and sent it back within days - but with the battery from his old laptop that was knackered and happened to be the same! Who'd have thought people could be so scheming ? Rolling Eyes

It works OK, and I'm actually impressed with how easy it is to use. Now I need adaptors, M42, FD, MD, EOS, Minolta A and M39. That'll do for a start! Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats!!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is actually a very good deal. You find some good deals with such outlets. I also got my NEX5 second hand (swapped for an old mobile + £) at CEX, and it was almost new with 12 months guarantee. I'd seen a Oly EP-1 body going for £105 recently.

I'm sure you'll enjoy it a lot, especially with adapters!

I now need to order what Poilu suggested.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
Now I need adaptors, M42, FD, MD, EOS, Minolta A and M39. That'll do for a start! Laughing

don't forget Konica Wink

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

congrats!

You should upgrade to the latest firmware on the nex5.
I just did on my a week ago and it enables few more choices.
I also recommend a tilt adapter. I use my m42 lenses on PK tilt adapter with M42-PK.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tedat wrote:
Lloydy wrote:
Now I need adaptors, M42, FD, MD, EOS, Minolta A and M39. That'll do for a start! Laughing

don't forget Konica Wink

I hope to see Ian next week sometime, so I expect he'll have a few to hand that I can try. Laughing

Upgrading the software is the next job I think. I've tried it out today and I'm very impressed so far. Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
Upgrading the software is the next job I think. I've tried it out today and I'm very impressed so far. Very Happy

oh.. NEX5 with older firmware.. so you haven't even tried out focus peeking and are already impressed?