Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Jupiter-3 5cm 1.5 RED P Leica screw mount
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:11 pm    Post subject: Jupiter-3 5cm 1.5 RED P Leica screw mount Reply with quote

I just got lens today, on quick test shoots I saw soft wide open. I read on net it has variable quality , most of them soft at wide open, but on pleasant way. Any experience , opinion ?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only opinion I have is I want it Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila, in case you're planning to sell it, let me know plz Smile

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing sound great perhaps I will, I wait 3 yrs to buy one locally, I will try it out and might be it will go.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful copy of J3. Congrats Mate. Don't sell this one Wink

I've owned a few now. It is my strong opinion that this lens needs to be shot on film or full frame to be appreciated.
Mirrorless Digital users will be disappointed especially at wide open.
The lens is "mostly" center sharp wide open with a nice glow and soft oof area. Leading to a very nice look for Portraits
If you have the corners/edges cropped away by a small sensor, the center will not look sharp by comparison as there will be no fall off to give basis to the center.....the effect will be lost.
The sonar 50's are special this way and small sensors kill it IMO. Even the M8 with a x1.3 factor looses much of the magic.
If you use a Leica ltm or M mount camera you will need to shim the lens for focus accuracy.
Brian Sweeney adjusted one for me and it was night and day the difference after wards.

I don't have many samples online but, here is a sonar look. very lo-fi film shoot. This one is looks great printed though. Classic portrait lens.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey , thank you !! My feel is lot better now than before! Beautiful capture!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do wonder if it offers any advantage over the J-8 on digital.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
I do wonder if it offers any advantage over the J-8 on digital.

I think yes, at f2 already stopped down and sharper than J8 wide open I think I will give it a try.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you will see an "improvement" towards "modernness" from the J3 versus J8.
The J8 behaves mush better in terms of focus shift and contrast on a native body (rangefinder).
On a NEX focus shift is not an issue but the contrast will be noticeable. As well the edges will be illuminated more evenly and sharper.
I Suppose the word improvement is the problem. The 2 lenses are just slightly different.
I use a LTM Nikor 1.4/50mm now. It has the look of the classic sonar wide open but, no focus shif stopping down and it looks quite modern by f4 (high contrast and even-ness to edges.

The J3 will be fantastic on an old Zorki or Fed and a roll of HP-5 Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought it with a Zorki-4 , my favourite FSU L39 rangefinder is Zorki-C, I will try it for sure with Fomapan, Ilford didn't impressed me reason perhaps developer I have only Foma developers Foma and Rodinal. I like fomapan one of the most inexpensive B&W film with great tonality.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VERY nice Attila! If you ever sell, it , I stand in line for it!!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:

Smile okay, I never thought this will be so popular.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks really great Attila, congrats!

now I am very curious about your comparison between J-3 and J-8

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
I bought it with a Zorki-4 , my favourite FSU L39 rangefinder is Zorki-C, I will try it for sure with Fomapan, Ilford didn't impressed me reason perhaps developer I have only Foma developers Foma and Rodinal. I like fomapan one of the most inexpensive B&W film with great tonality.

HP-5 works well in Rodinal if you like the grain it gives. It's much smoother in Tmax Dev. I like the look of it in Tmax very, very much.
I don't know the Zorki-C. I'll google it Smile

Looks like you could sell a dozen of these. Maybe you should get a female J3 and breed them Surprised Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

F16SUNSHINE wrote:
Looks like you could sell a dozen of these. Maybe you should get a female J3 and breed them Surprised Laughing

I like in Zorki-C double finder one normal clear viewfinder and one magnified RF and it's shape. I will try sometimes your developer suggestion, don't it's available locally or not.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mean to direct the conversation towards film but I've never been too impressed with HP-5. Maybe it doesn't respond well to Xtol 1:1. I can't complain about the grain but the contrast was never to my liking. It turns low contrast scenes into soup.

I think a fast lens like the J3 deserves a slow film. Utilize that wide-open character.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

F16SUNSHINE wrote:

I don't have many samples online but, here is a sonar look. very lo-fi film shoot. This one is looks great printed though. Classic portrait lens.

That is really a beautiful portrait, Andy.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm waiting for this lens to come too Very Happy today should arrived
j8 is great little lens, will be nice comparison J3 & J8

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
kds315* wrote:

I almost purchased a J3 today (a 1950 year), but the seller got pushy and $165 selling price was too steep for me. I looked at a '57, like the one you have. It was much more affordable. So, I'm very interested in the results that you get from it, both with film and the Nex.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Orio you are too kind Smile This was a fun shoot from summer 2010.

Marc
HP5 needs extra exposure in low contrast scenes. I often expose it at 100 iso rather than the rated 400.
Adjust development and agitation accordingly.
I'll start a new thread on hp5 with a few samples and my workflow when I get a chance. It's great stuff.
It seems we all better become happy with Ilford/Harmon products. They might be the last one standing...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aspen wrote:
Attila wrote:
kds315* wrote:

I almost purchased a J3 today (a 1950 year), but the seller got pushy and $165 selling price was too steep for me. I looked at a '57, like the one you have. It was much more affordable. So, I'm very interested in the results that you get from it, both with film and the Nex.

1950 lens has ears means made from Sonnar parts! Price is high about this reason + rarity 165 USD still half price vs Sonnar average price.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a dozen of them. As they came from the factory, they were not shimmed correctly to the Leica standard. If you google, you can find tons of information and directions on how to fix them.

Then, they become amazingly sharp.

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78083

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2011/01/06/jupi-what-shooting-jupiter-lenses-on-the-leica-m9-by-robert-chisholm/

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for these valuable info!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did take a look at the links but found the info dispersed and not clear.
Does anyone have a clearly laid out instructions set? I am not going to attempt anything myself (I also don't have any soviet L39 lenses at the moment),
but just in case I might need a modification, I'd like to have a paper with info to submit to the lab.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
I did take a look at the links but found the info dispersed and not clear.
Does anyone have a clearly laid out instructions set? I am not going to attempt anything myself (I also don't have any soviet L39 lenses at the moment),
but just in case I might need a modification, I'd like to have a paper with info to submit to the lab.

Look here for starters. I think there are a few others out there. This one is an old bookmark I had.

http://pentax-manuals.com/repairs/j3service.pdf