Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Jupiter-3 5cm 1.5 RED P Leica screw mount
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
aspen wrote:
Attila wrote:
kds315* wrote:
VERY nice Attila! If you ever sell, it , I stand in line for it!!

Smile okay, I never thought this will be so popular.

I almost purchased a J3 today (a 1950 year), but the seller got pushy and $165 selling price was too steep for me. I looked at a '57, like the one you have. It was much more affordable. So, I'm very interested in the results that you get from it, both with film and the Nex.

1950 lens has ears means made from Sonnar parts! Price is high about this reason + rarity 165 USD still half price vs Sonnar average price.

I know. Sad , and I may regret passing on it. There is a small drawback, in that it is Contax/kiev mount. I enjoy shooting with my Kiev 4, but I'm saving what I can to purchase the Nex 7, and adapters for the 50mm Contax are expensive. So, maybe another will come along, and in a LTM. Wink...but I'm betting that your '57 will be an excellent performer.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aspen wrote:
Attila wrote:
aspen wrote:
Attila wrote:
kds315* wrote:
VERY nice Attila! If you ever sell, it , I stand in line for it!!

Smile okay, I never thought this will be so popular.

I almost purchased a J3 today (a 1950 year), but the seller got pushy and $165 selling price was too steep for me. I looked at a '57, like the one you have. It was much more affordable. So, I'm very interested in the results that you get from it, both with film and the Nex.

1950 lens has ears means made from Sonnar parts! Price is high about this reason + rarity 165 USD still half price vs Sonnar average price.

I know. Sad , and I may regret passing on it. There is a small drawback, in that it is Contax/kiev mount. I enjoy shooting with my Kiev 4, but I'm saving what I can to purchase the Nex 7, and adapters for the 50mm Contax are expensive. So, maybe another will come along, and in a LTM. Wink...but I'm betting that your '57 will be an excellent performer.

I did count also expensive adapter, my conclusion is might be not expensive if I share cost between my Kiev mount lenses and if I count Kiev mount lenses are cheaper than LTM lenses usually. I think I will buy one or either I will make one from a broken Kiev 4

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila, congratulations!
This is a fascinating lens which is fun to shoot.
Of course, if you compare it to a modern Summilux or something, it will open its completely different "character" (=aberrations Wink), but nevertheless it is one of the most amazing lenses for an RF or an NEX you can find - as Andy's amazing portrait shows!

I do have a nice set of 50mm RF lenses now:
- Jupiter-3 (the version you also have)
- Jupiter-8
- Leitz Summitar 2/5cm (coated)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All pictures are post processed
http://forum.mflenses.com/jupiter-3-5cm-1-5-red-p-screw-mount-panasonic-g1-t45535.html

NO PP on these pictures, click on each images to get higher resolution.

#5 is wide open

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are test photos. I took them on a Leica M9 with a 60 year old ZK Sonnar Russian lens which was correctly shimmed recently. This lens was made in the USSR around 1948 from captured German Schott glass and Zeiss parts. It was the precursor to the Jupiter-3 lens.

The glass was coated, which was a key German technology which the Russians took. The Zeiss coating was the best. The Leitz (Leica) coating was so-so. Eastman Kodak developed lens coating technology on a parallel path to the Germans before WWII, and successfully used it in military optics during WWII. It was a top secret. The Japanese basically copied the Kodak method, and Nikon and Canon made superb coatings in the early 1950's. (coating prevents most flare and produces higher optical clarity in a lens)

After WWII, the Russians put the entire Zeiss factory into box cars, and brought it to the USSR. They also brought the key German Zeiss employees, and made them reassemble the factory. They then produced cameras and lenses with German stock until about 1952, when Russian-made parts became available. Until around 1960, the quality was up to German standards or better, remarkable. By 1980, the quality had deteriorated to junk.

99% of the stuff they tell you about modern lenses (such as Canon "L" lenses are sharper and have better "IQ") is complete and utter nonsense for the gullible.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M. Valdemar wrote:

99% of the stuff they tell you about modern lenses (such as Canon "L" lenses are sharper and have better "IQ") is complete and utter nonsense for the gullible.

How so? they got the "red ring" on them Laughing

P.S.
Very nice pictures!

Recently sold a 1953 J-3 on ebay, listed "for parts" - body was in good condition, the glass had some cleaning marks, also coated. Sadly it was missing diaphragm.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

granpa wnats to play....

full
http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6043/6311099398_cb7e78edf7_o.jpg

1937 CZJ sonnar uncoated. All at f/1.5

frankly, on the nex, i think one is better off with an Amedeo contax/nikon internal/external to M adapter and a real zeiss or nikkor sonnar. The russian glass is OK but the bodies are....and J-3s are not that cheap anyway.

I have yet to see a J-3 equal a good zeiss wide open--though of course they should.

OK one more:

the nikkor 5cm f/1.4 is well sharper wide open and close (above is CZJ), but the CZJ kill the nikkor at long infinity.

this lens was never cleaned until recently, and has the famous "bloom" which inspired coatings.

also bubbles of course Smile

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only reason you think you're seeing that the J-3's are not equal to the Sonnars is because they are not shimmed properly. If your lenses have substantial haze or decentering, that could also affect file quality.

On the Sony Nex, you focus with the LCD so shimming doesn't matter, you should get excellent results with a good example.

Also, your photos are all about a stop underexposed, so the apparent sharpness is less when you view them online with a browser.

(I did a little correction on one of your shots)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M. Valdemar wrote:
The only reason you think you're seeing that the J-3's are not equal to the Sonnars is because they are not shimmed properly.

Oh there are many more reasons than that, and they increase dramtically as the lenses get younger.

Consider the Jupiter 9, which has horrendous variation in quality, and compare it to a contax zeiss 85/2. You will never get the zeiss performance wide open from the jupiter.

Russian lenses often end up being far more expensive than western ziess or nikon RF (best for 85/2) since you have to sift through copies. They are a real pain in the CONUS, because teh bad ones are just thrown back on the market.

The only russian lens it's easy to get a really good deal on, without much risk is the J-8---but that's another lens which cannot match it's zeiss or nikon counterparts wide open--forumla or not.

My batting average on russian glass is one usable lens in 3 and alot of time wasted.

which is not say I would not enjoy a good J-3----I just don't want to play the games it takes to find one.

oh yes, re my cat--did you ever consider it was dim?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a great cat - ! I prefer the dim one (scene, not cat!!)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say the images from that J-3 are nicer than from your Summicron 28.

I haven't had back luck with Russian glass, everyone I've got is a great copy, J-8, J11A, I-50, I-61, Helios-44 (lots of copies), Tair-3C.

Wide open performance isn't important to me as I very rarely shoot wide open, you get sufficiently shallow dof at one or two stops closed with most lenses. Hence the J-3 doesn't interest me, I have a great J-8 and really don't need the extra half a stop or so.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

Wide open performance isn't important to me as I very rarely shoot wide open, you get sufficiently shallow dof at one or two stops closed with most lenses. Hence the J-3 doesn't interest me, I have a great J-8 and really don't need the extra half a stop or so.

J-8 and J-3 are different lenses, and have different character, it's not only about the maximum aperture...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are both Sonnars and pretty similar designs so I doubt they are all that different.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
They are both Sonnars and pretty similar designs so I doubt they are all that different.

Well, I'll stay with my opinion - J-3 seemed much smoother to my eye, I don't have one now, though I do have a J-8, it's not a bad lens by any means, but it doesn't compare to a good copy of J-3 Smile

Here;s a sample of my J-8, unfortunately I don't have the same taken with a J-3 Neutral

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

here is an informative test comparison with the following lenses;
Jupiter 3 1,5/50 de 1950 (verres Zeiss)
Jupiter 3 1,5/50 de 1952
Jupiter 3 1,5/50 de 1956
Jupiter 3 1,5/50 de 1985 (noir)
Leitz Summarit 1,5/50 de 1950
Jupiter 8 2/50 de 1959
Jupiter 8 2/50 de 1967
Jupiter 8 2/50 de 1977 (noir)
Leitz Summicron rentrant 2/50 de 1953
Industar 26M 2,8/53 de 1963
Industar 61 L/D 2,8/55 de 1993
Industar 22 3,5/50 de 1950
English language is on the right side of the page.
http://www.collection-appareils.fr/avoscrayons/html/50mm.php

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting that the Leica's fared so poorly. I thought Fluffpuppy would comment on this... Rolling Eyes
Smile

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any truth in the rumour he was being held by the lens police for making statements he couldn't substantiate.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-8 and J-3 can be well adapted on a Canon APS-C?
Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sinner79 wrote:
J-8 and J-3 can be well adapted on a Canon APS-C?
Thanks.

NO. These are RF lenses with short register distance.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kryss wrote:
Any truth in the rumour he was being held by the lens police for making statements he couldn't substantiate.

don't stir it up dude or you'll be next ... Very Happy Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems to me that test confirmed what I had already been told by Attila and others several times - Russian RF lenses are superb and the 1950s ones are the best.

I have I-61, I-50 collapsible, J-8 Red P and can confirm they are all superb optics, the J-8 being the best of the three, closely followed by the I-61, all three have different characters so I keep and use all three.

I suppose the moral of the tale is - if you want an M39 50mm lens, better to get a cheap Russian than an expensive Leitz.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had several Industars (26m and 61 in mint condition) and i was always very disappointed about sharpness.
OK for film with "low" resolution (APX100) but on NEX much worse than most of my other ~50mm lenses.
I you want I can post a comparision.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You must have had bad copies as I find my copies of the J-8, I-61 and I-50 to be very sharp on NEX.

J-8:

I-50:

I-61:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ForenSeil wrote:
I had several Industars (26m and 61 in mint condition) and i was always very disappointed about sharpness.
OK for film with "low" resolution (APX100) but on NEX much worse than most of my other ~50mm lenses.
I you want I can post a comparision.

Try early models as Ian said already.