Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sony nex7 + Cosmicar 75/1.4
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 11:44 am    Post subject: Sony nex7 + Cosmicar 75/1.4 Reply with quote

Tony, thanks for the lens. I finally got a chance to play with it for awhile.

Here are some samples straight out of the camera, shot at f1.4

Only modification was to set the AWB in lightroom.

@f1.4:

@f2.8:

With a little help from lightroom and stopping the lens down a bit, the results are not too bad ->

with some flare for the mood ->

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mfd of the lens is 1.2 meters which sucks Rolling Eyes

The lens is pretty heavy and quite big

The focus throw is long which isnt fun for quick shots

The crop factor of the sensor gives a little extra reach which is useful in some cases ->

Last edited by Hari on Tue May 22, 2012 12:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no post is complete without b&w pictures ->

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the test Smile

To me, the rendering just looks a bit awkward to be of use. Bokeh is horrible in my opinion Laughing

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when i saw the pictures on my computer, i felt like i had a tropical fever mixed with the high of psychedelic drugs Laughing

the corners are simply terrible. the zoom out effect just doesnt work for me

the lens is pretty heavy, has a long focus + mfd of 1.2 meters makes it difficult to pick it up over the rest of the citizens of my geardom

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking sincerely, I'm not impressed. The results remind me of what I got when I was a poor student and could not buy super wide angles so I used video wide converters attached to filter ring. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Speaking sincerely, I'm not impressed. The results remind me of what I got when I was a poor student and could not buy super wide angles so I used video wide converters attached to filter ring. Rolling Eyes

+1 looks pretty bad to me.

One lens I can recommend that is similar is the Fujinon-TV 1.8/75 c-mount. it's a Biotar design. Still very sad I sold mine, but I made a nice profit on it. Sad

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't look that bad, at least compared to other manual lenses samples that get posted almost daily. Some of the photos are as good as "normal" manual focus lenses to be honest.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A old 3 inch Soligor in chrome are a good alternative to this one and much better IMO (I have them both) Wink

But you will get a little blury corners on that lens wide open as well I think

I kind of like this rendering, nice effect lens with cool highlight bokeh Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lens in mixed bag to me several shoots are excellent , several not at all. Thank you for very detailed report!

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stopped down the lens looks useable, but wide-open the bokeh is crazy... Try to sell it on eBay to Asia for 1000USD. Many people there are fanatics to this kind of psychedelic bokeh Wink

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you post a photo of the lens itself? It seems to be quite a different lens from the Ernitec 75mm 1.3 I had.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dickb wrote:
Can you post a photo of the lens itself? It seems to be quite a different lens from the Ernitec 75mm 1.3 I had.

My guess Wink

http://forum.mflenses.com/cosmicar-75mm-f-1-4-t34876,highlight,%2Bcosmicar.html