Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Petri camera
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:39 pm    Post subject: Petri camera Reply with quote

I bought last week a new old camera with kit lens : Petri GX-1 with Petri 50mm f:2.0 lens (similar with this one http://kitatoma.pepo.jp/hobby_room/1_camera/PETRI_GX-1.htm ).
Its a simple camera, a mechanical one, and battery powers only the light meter. In the place of the needle you can found three coloured leds.
In fact its made by Cosina (a CT-1/A model) and is marketed under many labels like :
Hanimex DR-1 , Soligor SC-1 , Exakta HS-1 , Miranda MS-1

I'll test the lens . Might be the same as this : http://www.pbase.com/steephill/image/38667505 . Regarding it the Petri/Cosinon should outperform the similar Pentax-M 50mm f:2.0 http://www.pbase.com/steephill/image/38540084
(the decentering issie could be a copy problem (?) ) and wide open even the Ricoh/Rikenon one.

Now, I don't know which one to keep : the Petri or the Luxon MC 50mm f:2.0, an another cheap lens, a chinese copy of the Pentax-M 50mm f:2.0 lens ( http://forum.mflenses.com/chinese-pentax-lens-andcamera-clone-t4907.html )

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good thing it is a late-model Petri - Cosina. The older ones were made by Petri and had a unique lens mount and a generally poor reputation.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds interesting. I have this camera under the Cosina CT-1/A and Miranda MS-1 versions. My luck has been the opposite with Petri SLR's, my old Petriflex V3's work well but every time I buy an FT, FT1000 or Carena SRH 1000 it doesn't work or the lens mechanism is frozen solid. No problems with most Petri rangefinder cameras, just their M42 equipment hates me, LOL.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
Good thing it is a late-model Petri - Cosina. The older ones were made by Petri and had a unique lens mount and a generally poor reputation.

Indeed. I bought a Petri 50/2 in a bundle some months ago, not knowing what mount it had - turned out ok, having the PK mount. The seller listed it wrongly as a 1.2, but I was sure sure Petri never offered one of those, so I wasn't expecting anything but what I got. You can imagine the whoopin' and hollerin' if it actually had turned out to be one, though. Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a Petri FT. I do not know what I just bought. Any advice on this camera. It comes with a 50 mm and a 135 mm, lenses which I already own in M42 and PK mounts. This may allow me to use my Petri lenses on a Petri body. Where did you get your PK adapters for digital? Is this a good camera? I think I should have saved my money. Sad

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some new pictures taken by someone else on the photo.net site from this Petri FT camera. I am wondering what people think.

http://photo.net/classic-cameras-forum/00YSo3

Here is a link explaining the differences between the different camera bodies made by this peculiar Japanese company: Kuribayashi Camera Industry Inc. or Petri Camera Co., Inc. (Japan)

http://www.thecamerasite.net/02_Rangefinders/Pages/petrit.htm

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:21 pm    Post subject: HOW DO I REMOVE FOCUSING SCREEN FROM PETRI FT EE? Reply with quote

I actually have 2 questions:

1. Is it possible to remove the focusing screen & condenser lens on a Petri FT EE for cleaning without taking the camera apart?

2. Will diluted rubbing alcohol be OK for cleaning the aforementioned parts, or it stain them?

A replies would be greatly appreciated!

D. Rosales

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:

The MF1 was/is M42 and as small as an Olympus OM10........I quite liked it although it felt cheap, but couldn't cure a light leak so will probably break it up for spare screws.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: HOW DO I REMOVE FOCUSING SCREEN FROM PETRI FT EE? Reply with quote

drosales wrote:
I actually have 2 questions:

1. Is it possible to remove the focusing screen & condenser lens on a Petri FT EE for cleaning without taking the camera apart?

2. Will diluted rubbing alcohol be OK for cleaning the aforementioned parts, or it stain them?

A replies would be greatly appreciated!

D. Rosales

I'm sure there's no user-access to the screen on the FT-EE. But if you do get it out, take care what you do to it. If the screen's plastic, don't even think about touching the lower surface at all. Just use a bulb-blower to puff air at it to dislodge dust. If you rub it you'll almost certainly scratch it and make things far worse than they could possibly be right now. As for the top of the screen, the same basic advice applies, although there's less risk of wrecking it. I think alcohol might harm plastic . . . IF you must touch it, suggest a microfibre or similar soft cloth and breathing on it.

I know it's hard, but unless the screen is so marked that you can't focus on it, the very best plan is to leave it alone.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:42 pm    Post subject: Problems with FT EE Exposure... Reply with quote

Of the few times I have used my Petri FT EE camera to take pictures, the photos have often come out with a slight bluish tint. Violets end up being blue, bright lime greens a darker shade, and lavender a bit pinkish. Instead of using the apeture as recommended on the meter, I usually adjust the F-Ring until the meter's needle lands on, or as close to the blue dot exposure mark wught next to the F.28 mark. Is this a bad idea? Should I follow he meter's advice, instead? I've also notice that sometimes the needle lands on the blue dot with the recommended apeture, and sometimes not. Any recommendations out there? Also, some of the photos have a white or dark bar on the sides. Could this be due to a problem with the lens? This is an old camera that I recently purchased on eBay, and there's no telling how the meter and lens have been holding up after all these years. A reply would be gratly appreciated!!! Thanks, D.R.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The white or dark bar, if its obscuring part of the frame, is most likely due to a shutter fault - does this camera have a horizontal fabric shutter ?

You may want to test the camera at different speeds to check if this problem occurs at certain speeds.

Odd tints may be due to the lens, but I find that unlikely. More likely is the selection of film you are using and your film processor.

Exposure is exposure, no matter how you measure it. Different film will react differently to overexposure/underexposure. If you don't trust the camera meter, try a hand-held meter.

As for your cameras meter - changes in both speed and aperture should affect the exposure readings. Sometimes with any of these systems the indicator will not come in precisely, as you cant select intermediate speeds, or intermediate apertures. Normal print film has plenty of latitude though so such precision isn't really needed.

You can avoid using a meter entirely - "sunny 16" works very well. Go shooting in bright sunlight - to shoot for the highlights, if you are using ISO 100 film, set speed to 125 (thats close enough) and aperture to f/16. Or trade stops for speed - its the same exposure at 250 and f/11, or 500 and f/8

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
The white or dark bar, if its obscuring part of the frame, is most likely due to a shutter fault - does this camera have a horizontal fabric shutter ?

You may want to test the camera at different speeds to check if this problem occurs at certain speeds.

Odd tints may be due to the lens, but I find that unlikely. More likely is the selection of film you are using and your film processor.

Exposure is exposure, no matter how you measure it. Different film will react differently to overexposure/underexposure. If you don't trust the camera meter, try a hand-held meter.

As for your cameras meter - changes in both speed and aperture should affect the exposure readings. Sometimes with any of these systems the indicator will not come in precisely, as you cant select intermediate speeds, or intermediate apertures. Normal print film has plenty of latitude though so such precision isn't really needed.

You can avoid using a meter entirely - "sunny 16" works very well. Go shooting in bright sunlight - to shoot for the highlights, if you are using ISO 100 film, set speed to 125 (thats close enough) and aperture to f/16. Or trade stops for speed - its the same exposure at 250 and f/11, or 500 and f/8

Yes, it has a vertical fabric shutter. Could that be the reason why I'm getting faded white or dark shades on the sides of my photos? Is it because the shutter is not solid that light may be leaking through the top and bottom edges? Or, maybe the shutter is not closing fast enough due to friction? In that case, would a careful lube job along the shutter's tracks help alleviate the problem? On the last batch of photos that I took, the only print that came out perfect without any bluish tints happened to be the only shot that I took using the camera's auto-exposure mode. BTW, I used Kodak Ektar 100 Color Negative Film.

Thanks,
D.R.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you should scan these shots with bluish tints and post them here.
Are they overall bluish, or are there bluish areas ?

I can't imagine why they would come out like this as a result of either a shutter or a lens problem.

You could certainly have an exposure problem, but thats really easy to check - see what I wrote about checking your exposure.

This thing has a vertical fabric shutter ? I have never seen that on a 35mm slr. Fabric shutters normally work horizontally. Metal shutters are often vertical.

Are the white/dark areas on the horizontal sides of the picture or the vertical ?

Yes indeed, shutter timing can be off due to lack of lubrication or old lubricant. It could also be a lot of other things. Weak springs, bad bearings, stretched curtain tapes, bent parts, frayed areas, etc.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
Maybe you should scan these shots with bluish tints and post them here.
Are they overall bluish, or are there bluish areas ?

I can't imagine why they would come out like this as a result of either a shutter or a lens problem.

You could certainly have an exposure problem, but thats really easy to check - see what I wrote about checking your exposure.

This thing has a vertical fabric shutter ? I have never seen that on a 35mm slr. Fabric shutters normally work horizontally. Metal shutters are often vertical.

Are the white/dark areas on the horizontal sides of the picture or the vertical ?

Yes indeed, shutter timing can be off due to lack of lubrication or old lubricant. It could also be a lot of other things. Weak springs, bad bearings, stretched curtain tapes, bent parts, frayed areas, etc.

Ooops, I meant horizontal(not vertical) fabric shutter. As for the problems with the slight, slight bluish tints, it's probably because I have the apeture set too low(high number). It looked a whole lot better with auto exposure, so at least I know that feature is working.
D.R.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drosales wrote:
...In that case, would a careful lube job along the shutter's tracks help alleviate the problem?...

No, don't do that - as the shutter is rubberised fabric, you'll damage the shutter curtain material and make things worse for yourself, especially if the fault's not down to perished material. You need to look at the items that Luis suggested plus the shutter curtains themselves as the rubber coating can go stiff and perish over the years - cock the shutter and look for cracks on both curtains. This is a fairly common fault with Exakta Varex/VX and the 50s Contax/Pentacon F series cameras as well.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

***the photos have often come out with a slight bluish tint. Violets end up being blue, bright lime greens a darker shade, and lavender a bit pinkish. ***

Well I'd say either you used bad film or the operator who scanned the negs and did the prints didn't do a very good job, but if it was all done cheaply...you get what you pay for Wink

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:
***the photos have often come out with a slight bluish tint. Violets end up being blue, bright lime greens a darker shade, and lavender a bit pinkish. ***

Well I'd say either you used bad film or the operator who scanned the negs and did the prints didn't do a very good job, but if it was all done cheaply...you get what you pay for Wink

Based on what I got back from a rather well-known and apparently pro lab some time ago, I'd go for operator error.

The response I got from the manager wasn't encouraging either when he said that their operators always strive to 'improve' the customer's shots and apparently I should have specifically instructed them NOT to attempt this.