Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

MTO 1000 f10
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:14 pm    Post subject: MTO 1000 f10 Reply with quote

Do some of you allready test a MTO 1000 ?
Someone sells one to me a good price ... 150e !

I'd like to have a mirror lens (for the special bokeh and the focal), but i am a little afraid about 1000mm. It is very huge !

I am a little scare about the sharpness.

Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 500mm MTO lens sharpness is one of the best in it's category, with sturdy tripod will works , but what is your goal with this lens ? I can imagine astronomical usage only.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is why i am a little afraid?
Do some shoots of the moon.. OK
But i'd also like to shoot birds for exemple (with tripod)

possible or not ?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

with F10 I am afraid not.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might get away with fairly static birds if you can focus which is the big hurdle. I don't know which camera you are using but if it has a bright viewfinder and it's a bright day you stand a chance.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a good target for an 1000mm lens.LOL! Thanks Carsten for sample!

Let serious again you need to get closer to that birds and use maximum an 500mm lens.For 150 EUR you are close to get an 500mm lens too.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A dealer of my acquaintance has in an MTO 1000/10 for the steal price of ~€40 in his January sale. Even at that low price I decided to turn it down, simply because of that f:10 and the sheer weight of it. From what I see of them, they are perfectly ok for image quality, but a tripod is a real requirement and the light conditions need to be excellent, so not really an option in dull, overcast Ireland. I already have a lens to cover that range (the Novoflex) and it has a similar aperture at that setting, so I'd gain nothing anyway.

<Aside>
I turned down a bargain lens! I must be getting better Smile

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave - you're a stronger character than me. At that price I couldn't have resisted despite the drawbacks.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard_D wrote:
Dave - you're a stronger character than me. At that price I couldn't have resisted despite the drawbacks.

I couldn't! I've just got off the phone whence I reserved it. Looks like I'm slipping again. I was surprised to see it was still there, to be honest.