Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sony NEX-F3
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:55 am    Post subject: Sony NEX-F3 Reply with quote

Some rumours about the upcomming NEX-F3:

sonyalphanex blog
sonyalpharumours

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like the Volks-NEX - "Accessory terminal: you can add the trufinder or the microphone" is good news.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why all people want to buy EVIL cameras, if everyone considers the viewfinder an almost indispensable accessory?
(which raises the cost significantly, by the way)
When there are entry level DSLR with the same number of MP and a proper optical viewfinder, and also liveview, everything included in the base price?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Why all people want to buy EVIL cameras, if everyone considers the viewfinder an almost indispensable accessory?
When there are entry level DSLR with the same number of MP and a proper optical viewfinder, and also liveview, everything included in the base price?

I personally don't consider it an indispensable accessory. Focus peaking is really great.
But the most important: the NEX takes about every lens you can imagine, also RF-lenses. It put a 50mm lens on it and it fits in my pocket. No DSLR fits in there...

People shouldn't bother about whether they should buy a DSLR or an EVIL... Both systems are IMHO complementary and not in competition against each other.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:

oh! - about half size and weight of even the smallest and lightest dSLRs, faster precise focusing with use of great aids for manual focusing inside the viewfinder, any lens goes.

I personally love the relaxed position of my neck because of the tilting viewfinder and the easy access of angles it allows and that I never need to put on my reading glasses, nor to review the results nor for changing or checking settings. Besides I don't know of any dSLR, though of course by now there may be some, if so please anyone tell me, that meters any lens in A and S mode correctly, incl. adapting ISO if required, as does the NEX

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:

That's why I bought the NEX-7. That one has the viewfinder included. Wink

And why did I buy a NEX in the first place?
Not only because of the size, but because I can adapt almost any lens and still have an APS sensor!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fotomachi and Carsten hit the nail. I was almost grateful when my Canon 40D broke, because I now have so many more lenses to choose from (including the Hexanons I have wanted to try). It also happens to be a superior sensor (not just more pixels).

patrickh

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:

oh! - about half size and weight of even the smallest and lightest dSLRs,

This is subjective, tiny cameras are difficult to handle for me and the light weight makes them unbalanced when you use big lenses,
with disadvantages in handling and in controlling a steady grip to avoid motion blur with teles.

Quote:
any lens goes

That's the real point in my opinion, but I'd be curious to learn about the experience of using a Nex with a Sonnar 2.8/180, for instance.
For sure you can mount it, but then?
More: adapters for Nex are still quite expensive compared to those of DSLRs, and, as far as I know- no adapters available for Nex
with programmable focus assist chip with 40 to 60 different focus position settings, priced at less than 15 Euros.

kuuan wrote:
faster precise focusing with use of great aids for manual focusing inside the viewfinder

And impossibility to use in sunny days if you don't fork out other 250 Euros for a digital viewfinder accessory.

Quote:
tilting viewfinder and the easy access of angles it allows and that I never need to put on my reading glasses, nor to review the results nor for changing or checking settings.

Most recent DSLRs have tilting LCDs

kuuan wrote:
Besides I don't know of any dSLR, though of course by now there may be some, if so please anyone tell me, that meters any lens in A and S mode correctly,

Both my Canon 5D Mark II and 60D do meter manual lenses perfectly in all modes including aperture and time priority after the installation of the 30 Euros Ee-S/Ef-S screen

Quote:
incl. adapting ISO if required, as does the NEX

Both my Canon 5D Mark II and 60D do offer the Auto ISO feature.

To sum up: in my opinion, there is only one point in favour (any lens goes), while under all other aspects I see only disadvantages.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally don't consider it an indispensable accessory. Focus peaking is really great.
But the most important: the NEX takes about every lens you can imagine, also RF-lenses. It put a 50mm lens on it and it fits in my pocket. No DSLR fits in there...

People shouldn't bother about whether they should buy a DSLR or an EVIL... Both systems are IMHO complementary and not in competition against each other.[/quote]

+1

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DigiChromeEd wrote:

People shouldn't bother about whether they should buy a DSLR or an EVIL... Both systems are IMHO complementary and not in competition against each other.

Yes, but sometimes one must make a choice. Not everyone can afford two digital cameras.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too tiny, no solid grip on it, I`d need a 3rd hand in order to handle the camera and focus the lens ( Fukushima here I come).
For a few years I use only EF and Contax/Yashica mounts.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fotomachi wrote:
Orio wrote:

+1 I never want again DSLR

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

both systems have their special advantages ( here i don´t count the muuuuuch higher AF speed of good DSLR´s, but for some applications it is still the k.o. point on all this evil toys )
through a viewfinder you can better compose your picture if it has to go fast, in "darkness" or in bright sunlight
the tilt possibility ( i had it in my Canon G 5 and missed it since then till getting a NEX ) is an unbelievable advantage to get uncommon perspectives without making your clothes dirty or using a ladder, the possibility to use much more lenses has been mentioned already
and the overall size using compact lenses like CVs, etc are on the other hand unbeatable arguments for the evils
i think evils are the better narrative cams and DSLRs the better challenging ones

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All recent DSLRs have tilting LCDs, it's a draw, not a point for EVILs.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was with a guy today who had a top of the Nikon, a very good and talented photographer. But he'd never handled a NEX to use before, and he said all the things I said, much of which is repeated here - "I want a proper viewfinder" - "It's too small with a big lens" - I don't need focus peaking"
I think he might buy one now he's actually tried one.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DSLRs tend to have awful viewfinders as far as focussing manually goes. Ever since I got a NEX I have had no interest in a DSLR at all.

Also, can't put Hexanons or Russian RF lenses on a DSLR and those are by far the best bang for your buck you can find.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had a tilting LCD dslr (sony a 350) before nex even came out.
The main Advantage of nexes, as stated above, is the possibility to mount every piece of glass ever made (and that's one of the reasons why I ordered a 5-n), with the lack of a proper built-in viewfinder and some features (image stabilization, fps, more effective AF system) being the most evident downs.

The size and ergonomy issue is very subjective, although someone used to handling an slr will easily feel better with a dslr in hands, and many medium range dslr nowadays aren't "that" bigger of a nex with a lens and a viewfinder mounted (I mean, they are bigger, but you can't stick a nex+lens in the pocket of your trousers).

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
kuuan wrote:

oh! - about half size and weight of even the smallest and lightest dSLRs,

This is subjective, tiny cameras are difficult to handle for me and the light weight makes them unbalanced when you use big lenses,
with disadvantages in handling and in controlling a steady grip to avoid motion blur with teles.

if one likes a small camera or not certainly is very subjective, also what kind of lenses one uses.
That NEX is about half the size and weight of even the smallest dSLR nevertheless a fact as objective as it get Wink

Big / heavy / long lenses certainly are not ideal on a small camera if handheld. For me it's not an issue, I use lenses longer than 58mm for less than 1% of my photos and then it's again a rel. small 85, 105 or 135, not longer.
For the lenses I use surprisingly I can hold the NEX steadier than my dSLRs.

Orio wrote:
kuuan wrote:
faster precise focusing with use of great aids for manual focusing inside the viewfinder

And impossibility to use in sunny days if you don't fork out other 250 Euros for a digital viewfinder accessory.

correct, I was referring to the EVF.

Orio wrote:
kuuan wrote:
tilting viewfinder and the easy access of angles it allows and that I never need to put on my reading glasses, nor to review the results nor for changing or checking settings.

Most recent DSLRs have tilting LCDs

again I was referring to the tilting viewfinder of the mirrorless of my choice, not to the LCD. As mentioned any EVF provides the advantage that I can review my photos or settings without the need of putting on my reading glasses which I'd need to every time when viewing the LCD

Orio wrote:
kuuan wrote:
Besides I don't know of any dSLR, though of course by now there may be some, if so please anyone tell me, that meters any lens in A and S mode correctly,

Both my Canon 5D Mark II and 60D do meter manual lenses perfectly in all modes including aperture and time priority after the installation of the 30 Euros Ee-S/Ef-S screen

great!

Orio wrote:

kuuan wrote:
incl. adapting ISO if required, as does the NEX

Both my Canon 5D Mark II and 60D do offer the Auto ISO feature.

Good to know that Canon dSLRs also adjust the ISO in S mode to expose any manual lens correctly, nice!

Orio wrote:
To sum up: in my opinion, there is only one point in favour (any lens goes), while under all other aspects I see only disadvantages.

yes! when I was using Pentax dSLR I had to read very often that Canon was the better choice because I could also use C/Y, Leica R and Olympus lenses. Being able to use the small and excellent Leica M, M39, pretty much any rangefinder lens, Pen-F lenses and many others more like Hexanons asf. certainly is a big argument in favor of a mirrorless over any dSLR incl. Canons

even though most mirrorless users here don't care much about the size and weight advantages, very surprisingly really, so often I have read from NEX or other mirrorless users that, since they got their mirrorless, because of this very size and weight advantage they hardly ever take out their dSLR again, for me personally they are certainly the biggest reasons why I got a NEX. Just great that besides those for me critical advantages above all also manual focusing, and, as compared to the dSLRs I have experience with, also correct exposure are easier to achieve too.
The only disadvantage I ever noticed was strong noise in the EVF when it is very dark. Otherwise I very much enjoy the mentioned advantages.

good that different users have different preferences and uses.
Just as any camera a mirrorless won't be the preferred choice for everyone, but it is for quite a few and they certainly have their own valid reasons why

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This quick snap shows the difference between one of the smallest DSLRs and one of the biggest EVIL-cams:

You can see that NEX-7 is about as wide as the Pentax K100D, but the Pentax is much deeper.
Don't look at the lenses. There is a hood on the Sigma 30 which makes it much larger and the lens on the Pentac is a Tamron 2.5/28. The kit-lens is bigger.
That means that you could put the NEX-7 into your coat pocket but not the K100D.
And the NEX-7 is considerable bigger than the NEX-3 (or the NEX-5N if you like).

So, there IS a size difference.

But as I said, for me the most important factor is the chance to use almost any lens on my NEX.

Last edited by LucisPictor on Tue May 01, 2012 5:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I admit that I still fail to see the "size" point. Do we have to go everyday in a spaceship where every centimeter of space matters?
Is there someone to verify that your camera is less than 3 cms deep otherwise you can not take photos?
No, so where's the problem? You need a bag anyway to carry the camera and lenses (isn't using many lenses the point)?
So what difference does it make a few cms thickness more, once the camera is inside the bag, or at your neck?

I would split the issue between the need of a GAS afflicted photographer, and the normal photographer.

The GAS afflicted photographer indeed enjoys testing the widest availability of lenses. This is a strong point in favour of the EVIL cameras.
However, EVIL cameras so far can only offer crop sensors. A serious lens tester can not ignore that a test conducted on a crop factor camera tells only a partial truth
about a lens, and sometimes, it may be even misleading. Most of the difference between lenses, in fact, happens at the edges of the image circle, which is where
the most obnoxious optical problems do show up. So yes, you can test more lenses on an EVIL camera, but you still can test lenses more thoroughly on a full frame camera.
So until the EVIL cameras go full frame, this limitation exists.

THen there is the need of the normal photographer. Let's say I'm going out to photograph a sports match, or to birdwatch. I need a powerful tele lens.
The crop factor of the EVIL camera helps me, but so does the crop factor of DSLRs. What about the use then. Am I comfortable attaching a long tele to an EVIL camera and focusing it?
I can not hold a tiny camera plus big lens holding the ensemble by the tiny camera. So this means I have to hold it by the lens.
And given that I need another hand to focus the lens, how do I press the shutter? Nose?
What if I end up in a position where I have the sun on my back, is it feasible that I cover myself with a black cloth like 19th century photographers? Or do I have to buy an expensive digital viewfinder?
(which by the way will not likely give me the same comfort and natural vision of an optical viewfinder)
What if I go photograph a wedding, can I really mount a professional flash on the evil camera? Either I don't have the flash shoe on the camera (which means shooting with a remote
in one hand and the camera in the other, and the third hand focusing the lens - or using autofocus, in which case no more using old lenses)
or I do have the flash shoe, but then I have the large flash mounted on tiny camera, with again all the balance issues...

In my opinion, EVILs are basically amateur cameras, that happen to be interesting also to GAS photographers because of the possibility of testing many lenses.
Tasks where photography is more important than testing, like those that I described, do really stress EVIL cameras useability to a limit.
While DSLRs can be either amateur cameras or professional cameras, so are more flexible. You can test less lenses on them,
but if there is a photographer's task that you have to complete, instead of playing with lenses, DSLR is still the camera that delivers.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both can deliver Orio, matter is subject , photographer , rather than tool

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not quite accurate, I use all my Hexanons on my Panasonic L-1 which is a DSLR?

I can also use some rangefinders lenses too..

It's dangerous to make generalizations and both systems have their pros and cons. I am lucky to have a selection of EVIL cameras and DSLR units. I would never use anything other than an EOS 1D? or Nixon D?X series for my political campaign coverage as defending yourself from rampaging riot police or frenzied demonstrators using a NEX or an Olympus OM-D just would not work Smile

For inconspicuous street photography an EVIL camera with a shallow w/a lens is wonderful whereas the big guns would attract unwelcome attention..

Doug

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
DSLRs tend to have awful viewfinders as far as focussing manually goes. Ever since I got a NEX I have had no interest in a DSLR at all.

Also, can't put Hexanons or Russian RF lenses on a DSLR and those are by far the best bang for your buck you can find.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nemesis101 wrote:

For inconspicuous street photography an EVIL camera with a shallow w/a lens is wonderful whereas the big guns would attract unwelcome attention..

Doug

exactly! besides being more inconspicuous the tilting EVF and LCD are great for street use

Orio wrote:
I admit that I still fail to see the "size" point...
I would split the issue between the need of a GAS afflicted photographer, and the normal photographer..

The GAS afflicted photographer indeed enjoys testing the widest availability of lenses. This is a strong point in favour of the EVIL cameras. ..

Then there is the need of the normal photographer. Let's say I'm going out to photograph a sports match, or to birdwatch. I need a powerful tele lens...

Orio certainly I do not fit at all what you describe as the "normal photographer". My photography is travel and street photographer but I may be bit of GAS afflicted and use manual lenses. An odd combination maybe, but "traditional Leica use" was just the same. Anyway I carry my camera with 2 or 3 lenses pretty much every day for a couple of hours if not all day. To me the size and even more so weight difference of my NEX, compared to even my small Pentax dSLR, matter more than I can possibly describe

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, I certainly won't argue with you anymore, especially because I am one alone against maybe 20 Laughing

I still wonder how I would make a fashion/glamour session for 2-3 hours by watching into a LCD holding the camera with both arms extended using a tele lens without ever shaking or getting muscle cramps Wink
Photographing with a normal sized camera and optical pentaprism viewfinder offers me a well balanced tool and the possibility of stabilizing both my camera arm and my lens arm onto my body - and with the battery grip I can photograph in portrait orientation without having to put my arm in awkward position.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Guys, I certainly won't argue with you anymore, especially because I am one alone against maybe 20 Laughing

I still wonder how I would make a fashion/glamour session for 2-3 hours by watching into a LCD holding the camera with both arms extended using a tele lens without ever shaking or getting muscle cramps Wink
Photographing with a normal sized camera and optical pentaprism viewfinder offers me a well balanced tool and the possibility of stabilizing both my camera arm and my lens arm onto my body - and with the battery grip I can photograph in portrait orientation without having to put my arm in awkward position.

You shouldn't stop because you are the minority. The majority is not always right...

You have a few good points, but I would like to remind all of you readers about what I said: the question shouldn't be whether I want a DSLR or an EVIL. Both systems are IMHO fully compatible and can be used next to each other. It's interesting to read the arguments of Orio for DSLR and next to that, the arguments of all the other members of the board ( Laughing Wink ) in favor of EVIL. Instead of choosing between them, make the sum and take them both! Shocked
The NEX-5 that I have still lacks all the things a professional camera should have (I don't know about the later models), but what I do know is that the ease of handling has made it possible to capture damn fine photos that I wouldn't have made with a DSLR. That's also why I use both systems: the NEX fires creativity, the D700 applies it.

Quote:
I admit that I still fail to see the "size" point. Do we have to go everyday in a spaceship where every centimeter of space matters?

I'm in that situation almost every day. I sometimes feel a camel carrying all the things of the baby. So if I can choose between the NEX and a small lens that I can put in the pocket of my jacket, or the D700 in a backpack, the choice is easily made. Not to speak of the time I'd need to take out the camera when I want to use it.