Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sony NEX-F3
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fotomachi wrote:

You have a few good points, but I would like to remind all of you readers about what I said: the question shouldn't be whether I want a DSLR or an EVIL. Both systems are IMHO fully compatible and can be used next to each other.

You are right in saying this, I too have considered for some time to buy a Nex as second or third camera, but like I already said, not everybody can afford two digital cameras.
One may have to make a choice of one or the other.
So I think it's correct to point out the differences. Not everyone is a GAS-oriented photographer for whom the most important/funny thing is to test manual lenses.
Believe it or not (and being here, it's not always easy to believe Laughing ), most photographers do something different than testing lenses with their equpiment: they take photographs, in real photographic situations. Laughing
So if we make the campaign, that EVILS are so undoubtedly better than DSLRs, I think we are making, if not misinformation, at least a too biased information; because someone may follow the suggestions acritically
and buy an EVIL camera without realizing that perhaps, for his own purpose, it may not be the right tool, because for someone, like me, EVILs may have performance limitations in some typical photographing situations,
even if for the majority of people here these limitations do not exist.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am stay happily using my DSLRs even after getting my NEX 3 and some adapters. The main reason I bought an EVIL is to have something small which I can carry around all the time and also to be able to use a wider variety of lenses. But, a lot of time after mounting these lenses, it defeats my first purpose of getting something small.

I am used to viewfinder and am still finding difficulty focusing with NEX 3 even with the focus peaking capability. But, this is just me.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my_photography wrote:
I am used to viewfinder and am still finding difficulty focusing with NEX 3 even with the focus peaking capability. But, this is just me.

No, it's not just you Smile I found focusing using the LCD a total nightmare on the Nex, and also found that focus peaking wasn't accurate enough for me. The Nex has only become really useful to me since i purchased the EVF for it.

However, size wise the Nex is still brilliant, even with a large standard lens and EVF attached. The reason for this (for me) is that the camera will still fit into a very small case around my shoulder.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
...So if we make the campaign, that EVILS are so undoubtedly better than DSLRs, I think we are making, if not misinformation, at least a too biased information; because someone may follow the suggestions acritically...

Of course you are right Orio!
But nobody here ever has maintained that EVILs are undoubtedly better than dSLRs. On the contrary the following quote seems to imply that it rather is you who campaign that dSLRs are undoubtedly better then EVILs:

Orio wrote:
To sum up: in my opinion, there is only one point in favour (any lens goes), while under all other aspects I see only disadvantages...

I hope that we can agree that either camera system can produce great results, which is no wonder, often the same sensors are used. If so, isn't it all too obvious then that the question can not be which camera is the better "per se"? That the question only can be which system, because of their differences, is the rather indicated, "better" for a particular use? Or simply one's personal favorite for x reasons?

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:

Of course you are right Orio!
But nobody here ever has maintained that EVILs are undoubtedly better than dSLRs. On the contrary the following quote seems to imply that it rather is you who campaign that dSLRs are undoubtedly better then EVILs:

Orio wrote:
To sum up: in my opinion, there is only one point in favour (any lens goes), while under all other aspects I see only disadvantages...

Can you read the three magic words "in - my - opinion"?

kuuan wrote:
I hope that we can agree that either camera system can produce great results, which is no wonder, often the same sensors are used. If so, isn't it all too obvious then that the question can not be which camera is the better "per se"? That the question only can be which system, because of their differences, is the rather indicated, "better" for a particular use? Or simply one's personal favorite for x reasons?

In all my posts in this thread, I have stressed the useability factor, and I never mentioned any image quality issue.
What is so obscure to comprehension that I should have to repeat the concept one more time again?

P.S. I've been at the tennis tournament at noon with my 60D. I tried using the LCD so I flipped it out and tilted it as needed.
Even at the best possible angle, it was impossible to have any decent vision with it - let alone focusing.
So I flipped it back immediately and shot happily and effortlessly with the pentaprism for a couple of hours.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Since I believe everything I read, and follow internet advice religiously, I'm right where I ended: I'm not about to buy another digital camera, ever Razz Shocked There are simply too many tradeoffs and on the other hands for such a lamb as me. Theoretically this rumored NEX seems to be a good candidate for camera lust... but I find myself also determined to wait for what Pentax has coming up next... my big stack dollars are safe, for now, while my small stack dollars keep running out to sellers of vintage cameras.

Meanwhile, the Amazon points from my credit card are piling up, should be over $300 worth at the end of the current billing cycle. If I manage to wait long enough, I ought to be able to buy a brand spanking new digital camera for FREE Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nesster wrote:

Meanwhile, the Amazon points from my credit card are piling up, should be over $300 worth at the end of the current billing cycle. If I manage to wait long enough, I ought to be able to buy a brand spanking new digital camera for FREE Laughing Laughing Laughing

Wow! I wish Amazon Italy was so nice.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when I got my canon 400D end 2006, I was taking pics every day
I had to try every new lens, I was affected by GAS and test pics
now I take the 5DII only on weekend or when I think I will have something to pic
if suddenly a bank is robbed in front of me and I have no dslr, I will use my phone
I have no problem with my 2kg small bag, even for all the day
what I need is a small mirrorless that can go to the beach and under the sea
I have to check what solution exist for the Nex or other m4:3
otherwise I will get a shock and water resistant p&s

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
when I got my canon 400D end 2006, I was taking pics every day
I had to try every new lens, I was affected by GAS and test pics
now I take the 5DII only on weekend or when I think I will have something to pic
if suddenly a bank is robbed in front of me and I have no dslr, I will use my phone
I have no problem with my 2kg small bag, even for all the day
what I need is a small mirrorless that can go to the beach and under the sea
I have to check what solution exist for the Nex or other m4:3
otherwise I will get a shock and water resistant p&s

sounds like a great set up poilu!

for underwater solutions for NEX see:
http://www.google.com/search?q=nex+underwater+housing&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=PoH&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&prmd=imvnsfd&source=univ&tbm=shop&tbo=u&sa=X&ei=eoaiT7P3H6vimAXbkuX_Bw&ved=0CEAQrQQ&biw=1261&bih=878

resp.:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Underwater+housing+NEX-3&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3AUnderwater+housing+NEX-3&ajr=0
http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3AUnderwater%20housing%20NEX-5&page=1

that "Polaroid Dive Rated Waterproof Underwater Housing Case" for 129.- looks like a good deal. It may not be enough for the serious diver, but supposedly is safe until 40 meters and might be enough for your need.
here a presentation of it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpZl1XczR0U

For the serious diver there is the Aquatica, but at 1559.- it has it's price, just like this one too: http://www.seatool.net/SHOP/219728/718113/list.html

best regards,
Andreas

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Nesster wrote:

Wow! I wish Amazon Italy was so nice.

Yeah! I wish Amazon Germany would offer such a thing! Shocked

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's official: http://www.dpreview.com/previews/sony-nex-f3/

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "size talebans" are going to get furious because this new model is bigger than the old one Laughing Razz

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
The "size talebans" are going to get furious because this new model is bigger than the old one Laughing Razz

"size talebans" Laughing