Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Which Russian RF for practical use?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 12:01 am    Post subject: Which Russian RF for practical use? Reply with quote

Hi folks

I'm getting back into shooting film and decided it's high time I bought an M39 mount rangefinder (a working one, I already have soem broken Zenit-3s) and wonderd which would be most practical in regular use.

Leicas obviously are out of my price range...

Canon 7 seems rare and expensive in UK...

So obvious choice has to be a Russian M39 body....

But which one? I don't like the fiddly awkward Leica-style removeable back to load film so one with a hinged back would be good, also I prefer lever wind to a knob advance, so I'm thinking a Zorki 6?

Or I might forego the ability to swap lenses and go for a Yashica Electro 35?

Just want to see what people recommend and what sort of prices I should be looking to pay for a working model...

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had Yashica Electro 35 at least three of them , nice ones , but not reach Russian lens quality level and not wide... my favorite setups are next.

J-12 + Kiev-4
J-12 + Fed-2
J-12 + Zorki-2c (bottom loading, but nice one I like better than Leica IIIa)
Industar-22 collepsible, J-9 my other recommendations.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kiev-4

_

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, so you guys seem to prefer the Kiev/Contax over the Feds/Zorkis...

Being able to use the J-12 is a big attraction, and other lenses for the Kiev liek the Helios-103 are dirt cheap.

Very few Kievs to be seen in the UK, plenty of Feds and Zorkis, so looks like I will have to buy one from Ukraine or Russia.

That is, unless Attilla has a nice russian Rf camera for sale?

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do like the faked Russian Contaxes, and the added bonus is they are in mint coindition, having been fully rebuilt, I love the way they remark the Jupiter-8 to be the Sonnar it's a copy of...

80ukp inc shipping from the Ukraine is a bit steep for what it is (a painted Kiev 4) for my wallet though...

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like fake ones too, but most important thing is ,trustworthy working one.

In my experience if at least one speed works and not less than 1/125 that camera is great user.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think my best bet is to buy a cheap camera, run some film through it to see if it works, then I can always save up for a more expensive fake later...

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
I think my best bet is to buy a cheap camera, run some film through it to see if it works, then I can always save up for a more expensive fake later...

+1 listen to my experience usually 1/50 is accurate and above speed only half try it out with this settings. 1/250 count as 1/125 usually works if body work at all. Light throw curtain sometimes it has leaks.

Other ways all what I bought 5-6 pieces just works. I didn't have better experience with Contax IIIa or Leica IIIa too.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recognize that picture. It's from grizzly33bear. I strongly recommend that you do not buy any used equipment from this seller. Apparently "MINT" can include things like scratches, fungus, and rough uneven focusing as was the case with my Mir 38. Some online have reported getting broken Kiev 88 bodies that were supposedly CLA'ed.

For new equipment though, they're fine.

My opinion would be look elsewhere.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it's from grizzly. I bought a Mir-1 from him, waiting for it to arrive, I shall report on it's condition.

Thanks for the advice Atilla, of course, you have seen so many russian pieces it would be stupid for me not to listen!

Zenits are so easy for me to find here, Feds and Zorkis and Kievs are much rarer and you only see the odd one on ebay.

Are their any other options for an M39 rangefinder other than the Russian ones? Any german or japanese models I may be overlooking?

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

Are their any other options for an M39 rangefinder other than the Russian ones? Any german or japanese models I may be overlooking?
Bessa...?

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would buy a FED/Zorki if you want the issues that go with it. If you want a reliable camera look elsewhere.

I have a FED2 and it's fun. I use a fixed lens Canon if I want my pictures to come out. The lens on the Canon is much better than the J12.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spend a little more and buy from Oleg at OK Photocameras, he's a great guy, he still stocks parts for the Kievs (like the original shutter ribbons) and his cameras work. Many people send him Russian cameras to repair.

http://www.okvintagecamera.com/

As others have said, the Kiev 4 is a beautiful camera (no wonder, since it's Russian-made Contax). Other nice cameras are the Zorki 3 and 4, since they have very large viefinders. I also had a Fed 2 and could not stand its tiny vf, but many people like them.

Edit: the only real advantages of Russian cameras imo are interchangeable lenses and rugged build. But Leica screw mount lenses are really expensive unless you stick with the few Russian made ones. Another option is to buy a European or Japanese made fixed lens RF from the '50s-'60s. There are many of them, often with excellent optics. A few you might want to check

* Agfa Karat (later one), struts folding with Rodenstock or Agfa lenses

* Agfa Super Solinette, folding with Agfa lenses (Solinar=Tessar, Solagon=double gauss)

* Agfa Super Silette, non-folding

The Agfas have great rangefinder patches, easily viewable.

* Olympus 35 S-II, fantastic build, great Zuiko lens

* Walz Envoy, the only RF with a Sonnar lens

etc.

I have a few of them, if you don't find anything send me a PM I might be selling one.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kiev is probably the easiest (rf) camera to repair mainly because the wonderful "kiev survival site".

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Spend a little more and buy from Oleg at OK Photocameras, he's a great guy, he still stocks parts for the Kievs (like the original shutter ribbons) and his cameras work. Many people send him Russian cameras to repair.

+1!

Repaired my Zenit 19 perfect, fast and reasonable.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kansalliskala wrote:
Kiev is probably the easiest (rf) camera to repair mainly because the wonderful "kiev survival site".

This book on the Contax II repair is also very useful

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Zeiss-Contax-Repair-Manual-Models/dp/1874707081

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ludoo wrote:
kansalliskala wrote:

This book on the Contax II repair is also very useful

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Zeiss-Contax-Repair-Manual-Models/dp/1874707081

service manual for Kiev-4:
http://fotki.yandex.ru/users/partbreaker/album/121416/?p=0

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Which Russian RF for practical use? Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

So obvious choice has to be a Russian M39 body....

But which one? ...

"Leningrad"? Wink

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the Leningrad like a Mir - Zorki without the rangefinder?

For the timebeing I;m satisfying my craving for film by resurrecting my Zeiss Nettar folder, I've cleaned the lens and check the shutter, all working as should, given it a good clean and put a film in it, will take some shots tomorrow.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kamerer wrote:
iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

Bessa...?

or maybe a Retina :
http://cgi.ebay.de/KODAK-Retina-Automatic-III-/110532156022?_trksid=p4340.m263&_trkparms=algo%3DSI%26its%3DI%26itu%3DUCI%252BUA%252BFICS%26otn%3D6%26pmod%3D250828393583%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D429746767048111285

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never looked at the Bessas, the Cosina made ones look nice.

Retinas don't seem to be very common in the UK, aren't they fixed lens though? I know the Retina Reflex SLRs have the DKL mount and the great Schneider lenses but I thought the Retina rangefinders were fixed lens?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a retina rangefinder with dkl too(III S) like this:
http://forum.mflenses.com/kodak-retina-iii-s-setting-film-speed-t35909.html

They pop up on UK ebay from time to time.

About the lenses you need to have a rf coupling on them (note 'Retina' in the lens name).

Unfortunately while playing with it i broke the cord that controls the light meter needle and my repairman said he cannot replace it. Otherwise it seems it works. I need to try it with one film.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Btw the zorki-4 has wonderful clear rangefinder - one of the best i have seen. Certainly better than the one in Retina IIIS and Minolta Hi-matic 7s. The downside is that the controls are rough on fingers and there is no exposure meter but for 10 GBP including a jupiter 8 lens both in mint condition nothing can beat it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Is the Leningrad like a Mir - Zorki without the rangefinder?
No, with rangefinder.
http://www.photoethnography.com/ClassicCameras/Leningrad.html
http://www.rugift.com/photocameras/leningrad-rangefinder-35mm-camera.htm

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kamerer wrote:

http://www.photoethnography.com/ClassicCameras/Leningrad.html

question was "practical" Very Happy

seriously, this is a very interesting piece of technology