Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Which Russian RF for practical use?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I've got a shortlist now:

Fed-2
Zorki-4K
Kiev-4A

I am tempted to say Zorki 6 for it's lever wind and hinged back instead of the Fed or Zorki-4K but Atilla speaks highly of the Fed.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kansalliskala wrote:

question was "practical" Very Happy

Welcom practical:
http://msk.molotok.ru/leningrad-fotoapparat-s-obektivom-yupiter-8-2-50mm-i1645330123.html
http://murmansk.molotok.ru/fotoapparat-leningrad-proizv-sssr-i1649891738.html
Smile

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Well, I've got a shortlist now:

Fed-2
Zorki-4K
Kiev-4A

I am tempted to say Zorki 6 for it's lever wind and hinged back instead of the Fed or Zorki-4K but Atilla speaks highly of the Fed.

IMHO:

Zorki-4
Kiev-2A
Zorki-4K
FED-2
Zorki-6
Kiev-4A

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which one is the most silent from those Russian rf's?
The zorki 4 has very strong shutter noise.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zorki2C , Fed-2 are silent.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zorki2C , Fed-2 are silent enough.

Taron-35 a Japanese RF was too silent many times I didn't recognize shutter did work.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

std wrote:
The zorki 4 has very strong shutter noise.

If the Zorki-4 has a sewn edge shutter blinds (roughly 1957-1958 years) - it runs quietly. After 1958 the edge of the shutter curtains were metal - the sound became louder.

Also, mechanisms need to be adjusted and lubricated.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the Fed 3b has lever wind and more modern film loading, and is quiet. Main issue is the squinty VF, but the patch tends to be more visible than in the Zorkis I've peered through. The Zorkis have a notably larger viewfinder however.

The Kiev I peered through was wonderful and I'd love to have a good sample.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kamerer wrote:
ludoo wrote:
kansalliskala wrote:
Kiev is probably the easiest (rf) camera to repair mainly because the wonderful "kiev survival site".

This book on the Contax II repair is also very useful

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Zeiss-Contax-Repair-Manual-Models/dp/1874707081

service manual for Kiev-4:
http://fotki.yandex.ru/users/partbreaker/album/121416/?p=0

Spaceba, moi drook.
Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aspen wrote:
Kamerer wrote:
ludoo wrote:
kansalliskala wrote:
Kiev is probably the easiest (rf) camera to repair mainly because the wonderful "kiev survival site".

This book on the Contax II repair is also very useful

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Zeiss-Contax-Repair-Manual-Models/dp/1874707081

service manual for Kiev-4:
http://fotki.yandex.ru/users/partbreaker/album/121416/?p=0

Spaceba, moi drook.
Very Happy

bitte schon Smile

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Working with a Russian rangefinder seems like an exercise in masochism. Get a Yashica GSN, they really do have excellent 45mm lenses on them and are very quiet. Photoethnography has a nice writeup on them with a demonstration of the quality of the lens.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom in Delaware wrote:
Working with a Russian rangefinder seems like an exercise in masochism. Get a Yashica GSN, they really do have excellent 45mm lenses on them and are very quiet. Photoethnography has a nice writeup on them with a demonstration of the quality of the lens.
I bought a Yashica GSN year ago, faulty automatics, a year the wizard (serviceman) can not fix it. Repair and maintenance of the "Zorki" or "FED" takes a maximum of a week.
Yashica best of a mechanical Lynx 14 or Lynx 5000, IMHO.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved my russian bodies but since I got my bessa R2A, they feel a little bit abandonned : you can find the bessa R for 200€ or less and so get a bright rangefinder and patch.
The only drawback is that the jupiter-12 doesn't fit (protubes too deeply)..

It depends on your budget and needs :

very low budget > russian (but be careful to the seller, otherwise you have a high probability to fall on a junk body !!)

Need absolutely a 35 mm and low budget > why not a yashica 35 CC (auto exposure with 35 1.8 lens) you'll find it for under 100€ which is what you would pay for body + jupiter 12 + 35mm viewfinder

A little more : the bessa Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I`m sorry for renewing old posts , but I simply can`t constrain myself from saying my personal opinion Smile

Lets start with the Fed cameras. I personally have use and own many Fed`s so here is my review:
Fed 1 - a wonderful camera. Built very nicely, comes with exel. lens and is very trustworthy. One issue is that it has problems with light leaks , but if you are able to find one that has not been used too much it will be fine.
Fed-2 There where dozens of variations of it and newer one are actually better. These cameras do not break as much as Fed 3 , however shutter speeds might not be that accurate. Despite that it is truly camera of choosing.
Fed-3 has slow speed issues which often jams the curtains. Ofcourse if you use it "by the book" it will be a nice camera indeed.
Fed-4 cant say much actually. To my its the same thing as a Fed 3 just with an added selenium meter.
Fed -5B a way better made Fed 3 , very durable, cheap Smile
Fed-5 and Fed -5C are almost the same cameras. 5c version has a nice bright viewfinder , they both have quite accurate selenium meters and are wonderful cameras.

From all of these , I`d probably choose Fed 1 , Fed-2D or Fed 5c.

Now for the Zorkis. Buy Zorki 6. It`s simply wonderful Smile.

Kiev`s are not my speciality therefore I can`t say anything about them.