Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Ultra Wide Angle Recommendation
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:10 pm    Post subject: Ultra Wide Angle Recommendation Reply with quote

Hi all,

I am looking over a good ultra wide angle and now keeping an eye to OM 21mm f3.5, I am so impressed with the IQ.

Other than this little jewel, any other UWA that is as good as OM21/3.5? I am looking over something around 20mm.....

Thank you

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What camera mount?

What is your budget?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tokina RMC 17mm F3.5 if it's not to short in focal length for you

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Vivitar branded Cosina 19mm and 19-35mm; both quite good, sharp, contrasty but will flare when pointed to the sum. Bothe quite cheap.

I also have a Tamron SP Adaptall 17mm which is not as sharp but handles flare better and has some filter built in.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
What camera mount?

What is your budget?

Hi.... I am putting this on a 5D Classic, looking for something cost around like the OM 21f3.5.....

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yashica ML 21mm
Flektogon 20mm both f2.8 and F4
Tokina 17mm
any Nikon 20mm
Tamron SP 17mm
and yes Olympus OM 21mm f3.5 one of the best option from all
one of the lens what I not willing to sell ever.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another possibility, old Nikkor 20mm is quite good (especially at near focusing distance)
and usually come at a very affordable price.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ForenSeil wrote:

+1 - my favourite ultra-wide

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ForenSeil wrote:

+10, amazingly good lens for the price it can be had for.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Another possibility, old Nikkor 20mm is quite good (especially at near focusing distance)

I found Nikkor AIS 20/2.8 to be the best of the bunch, followed by Nikkor Ai 20/3.5. The f/3.5 version handles flare better than the 2.8, but then the 2.8 version is sharper in the corners (on full-frame body at least). It was a difficult choice; I finally decided to keep the 20/2.8 and sell the 20/3.5.

I didn't try the f/4 version.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aoleg wrote:
Orio wrote:

I found Nikkor AIS 20/2.8 to be the best of the bunch, followed by Nikkor Ai 20/3.5. The f/3.5 version handles flare better than the 2.8, but then the 2.8 version is sharper in the corners (on full-frame body at least). It was a difficult choice; I finally decided to keep the 20/2.8 and sell the 20/3.5.

I didn't try the f/4 version.

+1 I had same conclusion I also kept 2.8 and didn't try F4 , but I heard F4 excellent lens as well.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Nikkor 20/4 and it's excellent. Sharper than the Flek 20/2.8 in the corners and much smaller.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Tokina 17/3.5 RMC the Samyang 14/2.8, the Zeiss 18mm/4 - and a Canon 20/2.8 - but later still need conversion back to EF mount for the 5D camera with shorter mirror inside.

The Tokina has some problems in the borders. But I have to re-activate it, because the Samyang 14 is at the moment not usabel.
The Samyang has a great optical performance - but the mechanical build quality is bad. At the moment the lens is tilted somehow, I plan to make a metall back part insted of the cheap plastic parts:
http://www.4photos.de/camera-diy/Samyang-Walimex-Rokinon-Vivitar-Falcon-14mm-2.8-Focus-Correction.html

My Zeiss 18/4 was not able to focus to infintiy without shorter EOS 5D mirror. But there where signs that is was opend before on the distance scale - so probably not 100% original setup, or it is due to Zeiss production variance.
My first images are quite good - but I still need to make more experiences with it. I have the assumption that this lens design is very sensitve to front lns damage and dirt. I think a fingerprint totaly destroyed image quality of a part of the image - after cleaning I found no more image problems there.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZoneV wrote:
My Zeiss 18/4 was not able to focus to infintiy without shorter EOS 5D mirror. But there where signs that is was opend before on the distance scale - so probably not 100% original setup, or it is due to Zeiss production variance.
My first images are quite good - but I still need to make more experiences with it. I have the assumption that this lens design is very sensitve to front lns damage and dirt. I think a fingerprint totaly destroyed image quality of a part of the image - after cleaning I found no more image problems there.

It's funny you mention this, because I've just read a similar statement regarding the 21mm Zeiss ZE in the excellent Visual Science Lab blog by photographer Kirk Tuck. Here's a quote:

The Visual Science Lab -- All right reserved by Kirk tuck wrote:
Several weeks ago I borrowed a 21mm Zeiss ZE lens from the local Zeiss representative. I'd been asked by a client to shoot interiors and equipment installations at a very private and very exclusive country club somewhere in central Texas. [...] I felt that the optic was very, very sharp but it a few of the images with bright light sources (sunlit windows especially) I saw too much flare. Far more flare than I would have gotten with the Canon lens. [...] As we were putting the lens on the front of a Canon 5dmk2 Paul put on his reading glasses and looked carefully at the front of the lens. There were two small spots on the front element. Could have been water marks. Or dried spit. Or some outer space goo. But we're talking maybe one or two millimeters in diameter, tops. And quite transparent. Paul wiped out a cleaning cloth and ministered to the front element. Minutes later we were shooting amazing tests with absolutely none of the flare I'd seen previously.

So, be warned people: keep your Zeiss wide angle lenses clean! Wink

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Super wide lenses are indeed very sensitive to glass damage, because their inherent DOF tends to keep them in reasonable focus even with large apertures.
By glass damage I mean literally glass damage (glass chips), not coating damage. Coating damages (micro cleaning marks) are usually irrelevant unless their surface is unusually large.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have pentax M 20/4 and Zuiko OM 21/3.5

Anyone compared these two with nikkor or others?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Om 21mm f3.5 Nikon 20mm f2.8 AIS , Nikkor UD 20mm f3.5 I didn't see much difference on crop camera or film.

I still have 21mm OM lens it will be last what I sell. Excellent lens from every aspects, small size only 49mm filter ring is a huge plus to me.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOuld be interesting to see OM 21 compared to Konica 2.8/21.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
WOuld be interesting to see OM 21 compared to Konica 2.8/21.

More less same too, both are excellent lens.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can heartily recommend the Zeiss 2.8/21, if that's wide enough for you.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to have a Nikkor AIS 15/3.5. It's a really good lens, sharp and unnoticeable distortion. I sold it only because it's too bulk and heavy to carry around. I'm now looking for a lighter replacement - so I'm very interesting in this thread Smile

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

x.z. wrote:
I used to have a Nikkor AIS 15/3.5. It's a really good lens, sharp and unnoticeable distortion. I sold it only because it's too bulk and heavy to carry around. I'm now looking for a lighter replacement - so I'm very interesting in this thread Smile

Also it won't take filters, which is a pretty essential consideration for landscape work IMO.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atomstitcher wrote:
I can heartily recommend the Zeiss 2.8/21, if that's wide enough for you.

this is really awesome lens. my ultimate zeiss wishlist. but is close to 2k usd.....

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it's a new lens, but has anyone tried the Samyang 14/2.8 yet? And if so, is there anything available for similar money that is better? The caveat to that being, it should be fairly easy to stick on the end of my 400D.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd recommend the old manual focus Sigma 14mm f3.5. Its compact, lightweight, rectalinear and its very sharp in the centre of frame even wide open...Its far more fun to use than my Tokina 17mm f3.5 and Tamron SP 17mm f3.5 and whatsmore...Its very cheap to buy. Wink