Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Voigtlander 35 1.4 Nokton Classic or Canon 35 f/2 LTM?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:51 pm    Post subject: Voigtlander 35 1.4 Nokton Classic or Canon 35 f/2 LTM? Reply with quote

Hey guys... for the same price, which one would you get? I want a small LTM/M39 lens to be the "normal" lens on my NEX-5n

The Voigtlander looks smaller and prettier... but I've heard horrible comments about its bokeh
About the Canon, I have no idea about its perfomance... sharpness, bokeh, contrast...etc.

A last question... is that normal the long MFD on the rangefinder lenses? 1 meter for the 35mm Canon, this is looooooooong

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I gave up. I'm watching some samples from the voigtlander, and indeed, I really don't like the kind of bokeh this lens produces... and the canon, I think it's too much money for a 35mm f/2 lens with a MFD of 1 meter.

I'll give Konica Hexanon lenses a try... it's the smallest I can go with SLR lenses.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Voigtlander 1.7/35mm ULtron and find its bokeh pretty pleasing...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
I have the Voigtlander 1.7/35mm ULtron and find its bokeh pretty pleasing...

Not only the bokeh is pretty pleasing in that shot if I may say so. Wonderful image, Klaus!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ultron is both nicer and more rxpensive than nokton. MC version of nokton much more pleasant than SC/classic version.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys! I finally managed to use that lens I bought a while ago from Orio.
Very pleased with the results, full set is here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kds315/sets/72157627831860670/

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a nice lens, very sharp, very saturated, in part I regret it, but it's sale helped me to finance
the Biogon 2/35, so after all I am happy Smile

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Biogon 2/35mm surely does a great job for you Orio - at that time I bought it mainly to help, not because I needed it. Now I made a few tests and found it quite acceptable, but not that I would permanently use it Wink

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ivan Lee wrote:
Well, I gave up. I'm watching some samples from the voigtlander, and indeed, I really don't like the kind of bokeh this lens produces... and the canon, I think it's too much money for a 35mm f/2 lens with a MFD of 1 meter.

I'll give Konica Hexanon lenses a try... it's the smallest I can go with SLR lenses.

Ivan, the 1 meter closest focus is typical of rangefinder lenses - it's connected with the parallax error in the non=ttl viewfinder and the available movement of the rangefinder cam in the camera body. Some of the newer lenses do focus closer, but still nothing like you get with a reflex camera. I don't know what the prices were on the lenses you mention, but the old Canon rangefinder lenses seem to have acquired a certain mystique recently and that has driven up their proces. As for the "bokeh", well that's a mattter of personal judgement, but it's worth remembering that the out-of-focus effect will vary according to the nature of the background and its illumination. From my own experience, what you get in the final result very often depends as much on what's in the picture as the lens that formed the image

Still ,good luck with your search.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ivan Lee wrote:

You can't go wrong with the Hexanon 3.5/28, it's a great lens, not the smallest or lightest 28mm lens out there but superb quality optically and build-wise, I use mine on my NEX a lot, in fact, almost all of my NEX shooting kit is made up of Hexanons now.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Canon 35/2 ---what happened to it? jeez i'd give 500 for a clean copy and never look back. It might not match the zeiss in the corners, but the oof rendering is much better--at least from what i see, and the centers are a match for anything. not so? Smile

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget the Canon 35/1.8 LTM in that price range.
It's older - when published, 1956, the fastest wideangle lens of the world! - and a bit softer wide open than the 35/2, but very pleasing.
Canon hold a patent on it, therefore even Leica couldn't copy their design!
The Canon 35/2 is an upgrade of it, similar in optical design and amazing small outer size, but different frame. Optically a little bit squeezed for contrast wide open, but on cost of bokeh and nice character. Most people agree that this was the best 35/2 screw mount lens between 1962 and 1996, introduction of the LTM Hexanon 35/2. But, sadly, this is also another league in terms of price...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

uhoh7 wrote:
The Canon 35/2 ---what happened to it? jeez i'd give 500 for a clean copy and never look back. It might not match the zeiss in the corners, but the oof rendering is much better--at least from what i see, and the centers are a match for anything. not so? Smile

The Canon Fd 35 f2 is known as an excellent lens amongst Canon users.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ivan: About that "1 meter" closest focusing range - maybe it would be helpful to read about it and understand how a rangefinder works and why it makes no sense for rangefinder lens manufacturers to build a closer focusing helicoid??

Just a friendly proposal of course... Wink

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:
uhoh7 wrote:

The Canon Fd 35 f2 is known as an excellent lens amongst Canon users.

I have the FD convex or concave thorium which I searched for--yes it is good, but so heavy I never use it.

The tremendous thing about the nex is the RF glass it gives you access to, which very often outperforms the SLR stuff. With the hawks adapter close focus is no longer an issue either.

FF would be better, but for now it's pretty good.

I do have all three CVs 1.2, 1.4 @ 2.5, and they really are pretty darn nice; each in it's own way, but i'd sell two for a Canon 35/2 or esp a 1.5. @ taunusreiter: I need to learn more about the 1.8.

The konicas look great, but pricey---however maybe it's worth it. The zeiss 35s are very very sharp but so ugly in OOF.

Choices choices...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Ivan: About that "1 meter" closest focusing range - maybe it would be helpful to read about it and understand how a rangefinder works and why it makes no sense for rangefinder lens manufacturers to build a closer focusing helicoid??

Just a friendly proposal of course... Wink

Yeah, rangefinders have always been a mystery to me, I have never used or touched one. But I'll have to read about this someday Smile