Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

A Question about RF Jupiter-9 vs SLR Jupiter-9 (M39) *PICS!*
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:53 pm    Post subject: A Question about RF Jupiter-9 vs SLR Jupiter-9 (M39) *PICS!* Reply with quote

tomorrow im gonna get both these lenses,
they are both silver and both in M39 mount

i wanted to ask you if i can adjust the RF J9 for SLR use, or is it hard/not possible?
the reason im gonna recieve these lenses is because the RF lens needs a grease change, right now its focusing ring is stuck, so im gonna try to disassemble it and replace the lubricant, and i thought while im at it, maybe i can adjust it for slr use, because ive red here in earlier posts that the RF J9 are very good sharp lenses.

any comment will be appreciated Rolling Eyes

Last edited by Smoli4 on Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:07 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both are great lens, I think RF lens is sharper . RF lens is not usable well on SLR effective working distance is short, less than 1m.

I have both, SLR lens is a great woman portrait lens especially for blondes Wink RF lens is an all purpose lens.
I like both they have different character this makes them more exciting.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it's possible to modify RF version for SLR use, the difference in register distance is too large.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks alot for ur responses.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RF is far sharper i got black version and it`sharp from wide open, at f4 is just amazing. Maybe will post some shots taken with it soon.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a converted (butchered) RF J-9 with Exakta mount

http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/russian_lens/jupiter/jupiter-9_8_5cm_f2_exakta/?

http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/russian_lens/jupiter/jupiter_9_8_5cm_contax/?

http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/russian_lens/jupiter/jupiter-9_85mm_f2_m39_silver/?
http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/russian_lens/jupiter/jupiter_9_85/?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have both versions, but I'm not a huge fan of this lens. It's ok, but nothing spectacular IMO.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I got the lenses today from a friend, and they are pretty horribly looking Razz now re-lubed both lenses,
the slr jupiter 9 a fat, yellow, corroding dude with a front element full with cleaning scratches and not cleaning scratches etc... its from 1964 if to judge by the s\n , and i think i just fell in LOVE Shocked Very Happy
i think its sharp enough, and it has a character, and one that i liked.

here are they together shot with super tak 50 1.4

now with the jupier 9 SLR all wide open @ f2 not retouched just converted to jpeg
here is my first blond Wink

close sharpness

distant sharpness

and a crop from the above

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice results! I think you can swap both front elements if the scratches bother you Wink

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually Smile i did that, swapped back element group, then front element, and it seems sharper with original back and the scarched front element Razz

and you know i felt bad if i was to take the front element from the RF jupiter Razz
i cant explain it but i think it takes something away from a lens forever when you change something in its optics....

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
I have both versions, but I'm not a huge fan of this lens. It's ok, but nothing spectacular IMO.

I'd have to disagree but again personel tastes etc, I love this lens it's one of my all time favourites and at an ideal length on digital (for me that is). Being able to shoot wide open at f2 is a real big bonus and it does produce a certain character which I adore.