Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

M42 Jupiter-9 2/85mm cheap (faulty but usable)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:02 am    Post subject: M42 Jupiter-9 2/85mm cheap (faulty but usable) Reply with quote

M42 Jupiter-9 2/85mm

Sale pending, lens reserved.

From the depths of my collection a Russian classic with issues. I bought this lens together with a Zenit body in "spares and repairs" condition. The aperture was seriously messed up but I've managed to get it working with a limited aperture range.

- Cosmetics: normal signs of use, 42mm thread a bit worn but still perfectly usable
- Glass: has cleaning marks, no severe scratches. Some dust in the glass.
- Focusing: works fine
- Aperture: Two blades were broken beyond repair so I removed them. So the lens has 13 out of the original 15 aperture blades and aperture works within a limited range. Here how:

Wide open (f2): All is well
f2.8: aperture opening is still reasonably round
f4: opening is getting ever so slightly lemon shaped
f5.6: getting a bit more lemon shaped
f8: opening a bit more lemon shaped and light begins to leak from between the blades.
- Aperture wont close further

- Comes with some kind of caps and a Takumar 135mm metal hood which works quite nicely with this lens on a crop DSLR

Asking 40eur+shipping (paypal fee included)

Still quite usable lens at wider apertures. Here's a wide open shot and a crop from it (Pentax K-r):

Pics of the lens:

Here's how the aperture opening looks like @f8

Last edited by ovim on Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:53 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please show how the aperture looks at the worst. When selling objects that are defective, it is
most important to show the damage at the most evident, so people can buy informed.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pm sent

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Please show how the aperture looks at the worst. When selling objects that are defective, it is
most important to show the damage at the most evident, so people can buy informed.

Actually, he did just that. He stated that the diahragm does not go beyond f/8 and the photo of the aperture shown is at f/8.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotmatic wrote:
Orio wrote:

Actually, he did just that. He stated that the diahragm does not go beyond f/8 and the photo of the aperture shown is at f/8.

Ok, maybe I understood wrong, it was my understanding that two blades were removed,
but I can not see any gap or unusual shape in the aperture, but of course the blades at f/8 are close to each other so difficult to notice anyway.
Maybe it was interesting to see how the aperture looks at f/2.8 or f/4, at least if I was a possible buyer I would ask for that.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys!

yes the pic shows the aperture shape at f8. See the distinct "corners" at 2 o'clock and at 7 o'clock. The aperture assembly has been put back together so that the blades missing are opposite each other. What the picture does not show (but mentioned in the description) is that at f8 there's also light leak from gaps between the blades at the places where the blades are missing.

Anyway Sale is pending, lens reserved.