Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Colourful forest, part #1
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:59 pm    Post subject: Colourful forest, part #1 Reply with quote

well, not a real forest, we don t have them where i live, but we have this colourful bush that grows at the foot of the trees, it s green during the spring and summer, but it gets of this colours in autumn. Part one becouse i took 130 pics... Rolling Eyes Lens used a Vivitar 17/3.5, C&C is welcomed of course.

Tomas

Thanx for looking

originals:
http://www.pbase.com/tomasg_71/col_forest_1

Tomas

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great shots and beautiful colors Tomas - but, ehemm, why not choose the best one (or three best ones)?
They're all basically the same but from different angles or vertical/horizontal.

Less is much more in my opinion...

The last one and 2nd to last one are great in my opinion! The colors come out great, the blue sky gets visible through the forest and the trees come out great.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
but, ehemm, why not choose the best one (or three best ones)?
They're all basically the same but from different angles or vertical/horizonatl. Less is much more in my opinion...

Thanx Klaus, then help me choose, for example which ones work better the vertical or the horizontal ones ?

Last edited by tomasg on Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could choose whatever you like to, ever show all 130 images.
But "less is more" and to concentrate on the really good ones helps you
to develop an eye for that - THAT is why I said that, not because there
are bad ones (there are not!). Image you woudl send in images for
a contest called "autumn in the forst" and you coudl ONLY send in one.
Which ones would you choose (and why)? It is not about the "technique",
it is about what that oen image will "tell" a possible viewer. Will he stop
and have a look, or will he pass by? Make him stop and look!!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Klaus i understand what you mean and why it s important. As a Pbase user you know you can choose one "rapresentative" pic for the gallery, i never know which one to choose Rolling Eyes
as i said, please help me to choose three then, (you said the last two if i am correct) i hope someone else will partecipate, this way i ll see which ones are the most popular.

Thanx Tomas

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would choose #14 because with this type of subject (that can easily look confused) it is very important
to have a visually strong and well sharp foreground subject.
The same good foreground is in #13 (same location but with camera horizontal), but I prefer #14
because the vertical framing "fits" better with the vertical element of the trunks.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
but I prefer #14
because the vertical framing "fits" better with the vertical element of the trunks.

Orio, this is a difficult one, in general i think horizontal is better for a "typical" landscape picture, horizontal also works much better with our monitors, it fits better thus can be displayed larger, but vertical is much better for trees in this case, or possibly with any tall subject. thanx again, with your help, at the end i ll leave the "best ones" in the Pbase gallery.

Tomas

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomasg wrote:
Quote:
but I prefer #14

Orio, this is a difficult one, in general i think horizontal is better for a "typical" landscape picture

And that's why you don't want to make one Wink
Another advantage of vertical in this situation, is that it gives you a lot more foreground, and you can really use it
in this photo, since it adds a sense of depth.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree about the portrait orientation, but ideally I'd like to see more at the bottom of the picture - perhaps the bottom of the tree if it's visible or a little area of bare ground. This would give me a better sense of distance and camera angle. Perhaps a slightly wider lens would help?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very colorful bushes the grayness of the tree bark and cyan sky adds to the color contrast, I can't pick a favorite Wink

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Part #2 is in the autofocus gallery, as it was took with a Sigma 20/1.8, where i already reduced the selection a bit. Thanx again, for the C&C so far, i really appriciate it.

Tomas

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the best I'd say after having looked at all them several times:

It shows the intense color in the foreground, also large enough to see what it is,
contrasts to the green on the right side, shows the trees of the forest and also
gives a depth perspective up that hill and allows the blue sky to come through.
Plus it is a very serene scene to sooth the mind....

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx Klaus

Tomas

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I vote also for Nr. 5 and 14

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanxs Teo

Tomas

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like very much the colours, and join Klaus in the picture he has selected.

Regards.
Jes.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great colours! I like the symmetry in number 1...it's funny how people like different things Smile

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely true Graham! It is very subjective of course.

Just a few words about this discussion: Personally I like the "pars pro toto" approach a lot in photography and the "get closer". So I usually pick one piece for the whole, but get real close to show it in all details, colors etc., which then stands for ("symbolizes") the whole scene/thing. So in case of that forest scene, I may have just picked one impressive leave and a tree trunk and if I can a bit of blue sky to model the whole scenery. Or if that is had to do, use a wide angle and get real close to a few items and push the whole scenery into the background. That can be seen in my work, I hope at least...