Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Distagon 28mm 2.8 T*...good price?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:53 pm    Post subject: Distagon 28mm 2.8 T*...good price? Reply with quote

I won it for 160 euro, do you think is a good price?
Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it is, in France it goes for 200-220 € min and more on Ebay

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's the MM version of the lens then it's a bargain you got Wink

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the meaning of MM?!
It's this one: http://www.ebay.it/itm/150674775621?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_500wt_987
Could you tell me what do you think about it?Smile
Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, that's an AE (aperture priority exposure)
MM means multimode which means that the lens can be used with time priority and in program mode with a suitable contax camera.
The thing would not affect digital users if it wasn't for the fact that a few Contax lenses (namely the 2.8/25, 2.8/28, 2.8/135) have been optically improved with the passage from AE to MM - and for this reason the MM versions of these lenses cost more than the AE versions.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah OK, but this one is it a good price? Great lens for the value?
Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if it;s ok and fully functional - the price is OK - I would say

This lens never lets you down.

tf

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trifox wrote:

This lens never lets you down.
tf

+1
Contax Zeiss is a good bet:D

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seller say great condition and all functionally:) but much different from MM version in image quality?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MM has slight improved corner performance from f4 and wider.
But like specific Contax AE->MM changes, this might be against the 3D capabilities of the lens. I don't own a AE version of the lens so I can't compare it directly with my MM.

Your lens is a gem anyway, so enjoy it ;

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I paid for mine MM version some month ago 185,00 € in like new condition. Compared with that your price is bad Twisted Evil

But - in the meantime the prices for Zeiss lenses raised and compared with other ebay offers at the moment your price is very good Laughing Laughing

But much more important - it is a great lens which will work perfect with m4/3 or Sony Nex cams but also with DSLR. So you should enjoy this lens - because you bought it and you cannot change anything now.

Wink

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'me very intrested in 3d lens capabilities...and I didn't understand... AE version has this special look? Just better of MM for this thing?
Let me know, thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you'd be able to tell the difference between the AE and MM version.

And the MM version is the only one adaptable to Nikon via a leitax conversion, AE can't be converted as far as I know.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok! Seller send me this shot, taken with Nikon D90 wide open, but he used and adapter with optical correction (so I think IQ is worst):
https://photos-2.dropbox.com/i/o/bWjkofqt8OiURb112SRjmTGcZiP3skJ8GBlNmINrWSc,UxD4vkeHzHdGzXrpu_KSrGhPsrgWtl9ciGacqF0bzQg/36265131/1319101200/5b4601a/DSC_0064.JPG

Waht do you think? Canon 7d adapter is it different, without optical correction, right?
I've taken this one:
http://www.ebay.it/itm/270835702037?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

I hope this lens make me happy!Smile

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sinner79,

What type of camera will you use it on ?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sinner79 wrote:
I'me very intrested in 3d lens capabilities...and I didn't understand... AE version has this special look? Just better of MM for this thing?
Let me know, thanks.

MM version is sharper in the corners than the AE version.
That's where the optical design was improved, for all the aforementioned lenses.
Any other reported difference is pure speculation/imagination.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to use on a Canon 7d, is it good?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sinner79 wrote:

On a Canon 7D you will never notice the softer corners, because they will be left out of the APS-C sensor.
So yes, it is good.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sinner79 wrote:

Then you don't care about the FF lens corner capabilities since you have a crop sensor. Wink

Your image will be sharp in all the frame since you only use the center of the lens anyway.

So you don't need to worry about AE and MM differences..... enjoy your lens you going to love it !!!!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And about "3d effect" lens capabilities? Distagon 28 T* is it great?Smile

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sinner79 wrote:
And about "3d effect" lens capabilities? Distagon 28 T* is it great?Smile

That depends on how you use it.
It has the base qualities (excellent micro-contrast) that makes it easier, but lighting and composition play a big role.
Unfortunately, APS-C cameras do make it harder. The larger the sensor, the easier the task.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The price sounds about right. You could probably find it cheaper if you looked around and waited, but I wouldn't worry too much. I paid £89.00 for my AE version and £99.00 for the MM one Wink Surprised

BTW, I found the MM version sharper in the corners on crop as well at large apertures. But I really wouldn't worry about it, the Distagon makes a great walkaround lens on crop regardless Smile

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quick sample which i found in my archive. NEX 5 and Distagon 2.8/28mm

Wink

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats...You bought a great lens! I paid just under 100 Euros for my AE version (£86.50, inc postage). Thats was back in 2006 and I'd imagine they go for a bit more than that these days so I think you got one at a reasonable price Wink .

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:40 pm    Post subject: Oh no!:-( Reply with quote

I received the lens, no scratches or dust, but unfortunately there is a spot in the rear element (attach image). In your opinion, is a serious problem? It seems to me a principle of mold. Unfortunately I have not the adapter, so I can not try it ... do you think is it visible in the shot? However the seller said it can refund me without problems, what do I do?Thanks. Sad(((((((((