Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

I did it, switched the 5D for a K-x
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:22 am    Post subject: I did it, switched the 5D for a K-x Reply with quote

After much thinking over my dislike of the 5D (everything apart from sensor quality), yesterday I got an offer and sold it to a pro needing a cheap extra body. I then immediately went out and got a Spyder3 Express for color calibration (I've been wanting one for along time, but it sucks a bit), and.... a Pentax K-x.

I debated over getting a K7 but it's almost double the price, and the excellent high ISO handling of the K-x might be useful. I then fitted the enlarging eyepiece I used on my istD (O-ME53), and today I managed to swap the original focusing screen with my cut to size EE-S.

So far I'm quite liking the K-x: its tiny size makes a world of difference from the clunky and heavy 5D, the viewfinder is very good for manual focusing, the white balance seems spot on, and the camera feels snappy.

Weirdly it gives funky exposures in Av mode with manual lenses, something my old istD did very well, but M mode works ok and there are a couple of workarounds to fix the issue (aluminum foil on the last contact, but it has its drawbacks), but with some care it won't be a problem.

I'm really happy to have gotten back to Pentax. Now if only I could manage to dislodge the hair that got stuck behind the focusing screen...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

congrats, next step is the m4:3 and you will end with a iphone Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A big step to go where.. what some people would consider a backwards move.Funny in the end it comes down to what you like...not how good the camera is.

Laughing Funny Poilu!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
congrats, next step is the m4:3 and you will end with a iphone Very Happy

LOL!

Well, it's not like the K-x is a P&S: its sensor has the best high iso performance of any APS-C camera on the market. And its handling is miles ahead of the 5D, which sucks horribly and has totally unreliable WB.

Anyway, my next buys if ever I have the budget will be: a used Panasonic G1 (you hit the spot) to use my AR lenses; and the Fuji X100, which I'd probably end up using 99% of the time and which I would not consider a step down from anything, except possibly the M9 (which is a very different camera though).

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there

In the manual, it states that the only mode that has semi correct metering is M mode for legacy lenses ( and my testing bears that out, using aperture priority mode sometimes i was off by 2 full stops)

But by Using Manual mode , everything normally works out fine with a small amount of ISO and shutter adjustment.

I really like the K-X , what colour did you get? ( because we all know the exterio colour makes the photos better Razz)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. A brave step that not many will understand.
But as mo said "in the end it comes down to what you like..." and that's true.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dude163 wrote:
But by Using Manual mode , everything normally works out fine with a small amount of ISO and shutter adjustment.

Yes, M mode works fine. It's strange though, as my istD worked great even in A mode. Shorting the last contact on the right of the mount with aluminum foil makes A work, but then M starts working like for K mount lenses with a mirror flip.

Quote:
I really like the K-X , what colour did you get? ( because we all know the exterio colour makes the photos better Razz)

I got a black one, as while I like it in blue I prefer not to draw any attention on my camera. Smile

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
Wow. A brave step that not many will understand.
But as mo said "in the end it comes down to what you like..." and that's true.

Yes, it comes down to that. But as I wrote above, it's not like the K-x has a crappy sensor either. And strangely, with an EE-S screen and the magnifying vf it's easier to focus than the 5D.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen the Kx and ok it's "lighter" What's the real gain actually ? i'm talking with 4 batterys. i've read in a review that the handling is better cause they make the camera heavier ... go figure :s

If that was a FF i surely had this one, but i choosed the worst one, a 5D camera that is Wink

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I think also Pentax is better picture taker than 5D , to me top DSLR is 5D2. 5D is not comming right after , full frame is not everything.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
... full frame is not everything.

Yes, but it's a lot. Wink
No, just kidding. Full frame is very nice, but it does not generate good images per se.
And it needs better lenses, or rather, poor lenses appear even weaker on full frame. Wink

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:

Full frame is very nice, but it does not generate good images per se.

Good, no. Better, yes.
Just try to work creatively on the depth of field... APS-C kills most of it. 4/3 format does kill even more.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

K-x has great dynamics, which Nikon nor Canon can offer at APS-C. K-x is so vivid comparing to C and N.

Used and new lens markets are also better for Pentax. While fex. new Tokina costs $500 for Canon, it may be $400 to Pentax.
Same at used markets. As kicked and sanded ef50mm f1.4 may cost $350, when new one is $400. For Pentax second hand prizes are little more realistic.

After all I'm looking for a 5DMKII... Embarassed

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hexi wrote:
I've seen the Kx and ok it's "lighter" What's the real gain actually ? i'm talking with 4 batterys. i've read in a review that the handling is better cause they make the camera heavier ... go figure :s

(I edited the original reply quite a bit)

The 5D weighs 810g without battery, the K-x 515g. The Canon battery is described as weighing approximately 100gm, 4XAA batteries weigh about the same.

But it's not so much the weight as the dimensions: 152 x 113 x 75 mm vs 122.5x91.5x67.5mm. And I also find controls on the 5D really cumbersome.

As for the cropped format I don't mind it, in fact I prefer APS-C over FF as I mostly shoot people with normal or short tele lenses. 2x crop would be too much, but I like 1.5 where a fast, cheap, good quality 55mm serves my purposes very well and is much lighter than a fast 85mm. In fact, after shooting a bit with my Polaroid 600se and its 127mm/4.7 Mamiya lens (a slowish normal), I am not so sure I like extremely shallow depth of field so much and I find 50-105mm (equivalent) my preferred focal lengths.

As for the increased depth of field, I prefer to concentrate on framing and light rather than artistic bokeh (no criticism intended of course). The other advantage of FF, lower noise at high ISO, is negated by the excellent performance of the K-x sensor.

And don't forget that the K-x has anti-shake reduction built-in, which seems to work very well: I shot a test frame with a 50mm at 1/5 today and it came out fine.

And of course with the K-x I don't have to worry about many of my lenses hitting the mirror at infinity.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand your decision.

Since I own a K200D - which I got from my dealer new for a very fair price when this typ becomes obsolete - I use this cam with/for my M42 lenses exclusively. The in built anti-shake was for me the main argument.

And yes - I sold the 5DMKII and bought instead a Nikon D700. Ok, both FF, but back from 21 MP to 12 MP with a much better AF modul.

Wink

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

is 5D really that bad? i dont know, never had any in my hands. but i agree with choice K-x, my brother use it with 21/3,2 and 43/1,9 limited and is very very happy (complete set was cheapest, smallest and lighter than any other brands can offer and also quality of photos from K-x, developed in LR3, is excellent).

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob wrote:
is 5D really that bad?

I think the complaints are for the ergonomics
the 5D is outdated, the lcd have low resolution, it doesn't have video and liveview mode
for someone who have used film camera, a 5D is more than enough but new users want more
soon, a dslr without suduko, gps or face detect will be rejected
I try once a 5D with my contax 35 1.4 wide open, borders were good, more better that the cropped borders of my 40D
I have verified with the 5DII that my lenses give better border on full frame than the cropped one
of course I don't know how good is the K-x, but I don't believe in miracle

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
soon, a dslr without suduko, gps or face detect will be rejected

Poilu, as much as I respect your experience and opinions this is a bit unfair and misleading. Smile

This thread is about specific camera qualities and functionalities, not about sudoku, gps, or face recognition.

The 5D has awful ergonomics, weighs a ton, is huge, and has really crappy white balance especially with tungsten light. And earlier models have an LCD screen with completely wrong colours. What has this got to do with sudoku?

Quote:
for someone who have used film camera, a 5D is more than enough but new users want more

I don't think this is true either: people who are accustomed to the very latest film cameras, with autofocus and a myriad of controls, will find themselves at home with the 5D. Other people will probably find themselves more comfortable with a smaller, lighter, and simpler camera. Especially if it costs half the price (new vs used), has similar or better high iso quality, no problems with lenses hitting its mirror, and comes with shake reduction in the body. Or at least I know I am feeling this way.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ludoo wrote:
This thread is about specific camera qualities and functionalities, not about sudoku, gps, or face recognition

ok, sudoku is unfair and misleading Embarassed but gps and face recognition can count for functionalities

Quote:
Especially if it costs half the price (new vs used), has similar or better high iso quality, no problems with lenses hitting its mirror, and comes with shake reduction in the body

you are totally right and I respect your choice
my position is more about manual lenses, most of used lenses are made for full frame and don't give their potential on smaller sensor
in 5 years when quality lenses designed for smaller sensor will be available on the used market at fair price, my position will probably differ
I know that my opinions are often b&w and that use I misleading arguments but it is just for discussion and not in any way personal attack

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ludoo, even if I think differently from you, I can understand all your opinions, except one: do you really find the 5D a too big camera?

Don't know if it's me having the hands of Shrek Smile But when I was using the 400D (very fine camera BTW), I was getting mad because I did not know how to grip it without feeling impaired, it was just so small.
To tell you all the truth, I even find the 5D too small when it's without the battery grip Embarassed
My ideally sized camera without battery grip is the Contax AX.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
ludoo, even if I think differently from you, I can understand all your opinions, except one: do you really find the 5D a too big camera?

Yes, absolutely. My first camera, ages ago, was a Fujica ST605n and I must have become accustomed to handling small, light cameras since then. The fact that my preferred type of film cameras are fixed lens rangefinders must also have something to do with it.

Reading around, I have formed the opinion that there are two distinct sides: those who feel comfortable with a large, heavy camera (and I can certainly understand how it helps keeping it steady), often adding grips to already bulky ones; and those who favour small, preferably light bodies. I am definitely in the second camp. Smile

I guess that's why I'm really excited by the upcoming Fuji x100 and I am seriously thinking of selling all my lenses and my DSLR and only using it for digital photography. If it had a 50mm equivalent lens I'd probably do it.

I also love shooting my large Polaroids (the 600se, the 110b, etc.), but I don't consider them portable cameras except for very specific occasions like social events in a single place.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see Smile
With a small camera, I am of the impression that even firing the shutter will cause hand shake. I am constantly of this feeling when using the M9.
I feel like walking on a ropes bridge, if you ever tried one: ondulating like a ship on open sea Smile
But it's not just my impression: my rate of keepers in portrait orientation photos has significantly improved since I am using the battery grip. Now I am able to shoot 135mm lenses at speeds like 1/80 and get perfectly steady images. That was just a dream for me without the grip.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a 5D for a short while and thought it was just about the worst camera ever made. The images from it were quite good though. I didn't find it heavy or big as I have shovels for hands, but the way it attracts dust, the LCD, the menu and the fact that the VF display is poor was enough to make me want to take to it with the axe.

Just talking about it now has made me angry. I need to go and break something! Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting decision and just goes to show wht such variety is needed in the DSLR marketplace Smile

Personally, I love the 5D. The image quality is top notch (miles better than any other APS-C camera I've tried) and getting the proper field of view from my old lenses is essential, IMO, for landscapes and portrait work. I find the viewfinder perfect (massive) for my eyes and the control layout superb. The screen is junk and the sensor is a bit of a dust monster, but personally I would never trade it in for a crop camera on that basis.

But...I can see the other viewpoint too and I still have the need for a small, light crop camera. For long treks where I'm not doing landscape (zoo for example), I don't want a heavy camera around my neck. And for wildlife, I want crop sensor reach and a lighter, smaller body to pack away with my 2 feet long 400mm primes.

My solution? Cheap full frame with great IQ (5D) and cheap crop camera body for wildlife / longer treks (Sony a450) Smile

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
I had a 5D for a short while and thought it was just about the worst camera ever made. The images from it were quite good though. I didn't find it heavy or big as I have shovels for hands, but the way it attracts dust, the LCD, the menu and the fact that the VF display is poor was enough to make me want to take to it with the axe.

Just talking about it now has made me angry. I need to go and break something! Twisted Evil

LCD display is not the biggest issue on DSLR, i don't watch everytime a pic after being taken.

Images were "quite good" that's sure. Very Happy

I don't find it heavy, ok it's not the lightest, but for 50's it's perfect , very good handling for me.

What camera you have now by the way ? Razz It's an evolution of the 5D, and all features aren't new.