Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Helios 44-2 on NEX-3
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 9:00 pm    Post subject: Helios 44-2 on NEX-3 Reply with quote

I've had 7 or 8 copies of the Helios 44, this one is the best I've found.

All wide open apart from #2 which is at f8 and #3 and #4 which are at f5.6:

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice. Good detail, helios bokeh and nice colors make for pleasant pictures. Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great series, first portrait is superb!

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You seems to also have a nice sunny weather at this moment Very Happy ......
Great serie and agree with Atilla, the first portrait is really nice!

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice series, great portrait!

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I swear the 44-2 was made for the NEX, it's just superb. I find it so easy to use, I focus and set aperture with my left hand with the NEX low down and my right thumb on the shutter button - it just feels right. I use the stop down ring for aperture, the proper ring is always wide open. I just steplessly flick the aperture back and forward until it looks right. I have no interest in the actual number, I just use a small hole for a big depth of field or the opposite. I shoot by intuition with the Helios, not by numbers.
I've got two and I'm keeping them, I might wear one out ! Laughing

Great series of pictures Ian, when you have a good lens that's easy to use you can concentrate on the picture, and you obviously find the Helios a natural lens to use. Cool

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the pictures of your Dad, always so calm in a way Very Happy

The bench was an enjoyable item, would love to have one in my garden Wink

And, the 44-2 is probably not the sharpest version, but the most interesting, lovely rendering

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers guys, the good light certainly helped.

I do think this copy is much better than any other I've tried though, I've not had another one as sharp or contrasty as this one. It also lacks the wide open glow others have and the swirl is less too, all in all, it's quite different to the run of the mill 44-2s, I guess this is the top of the scale of the possible copy variation we know exists with Russian lenses.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's some stitched shots I made today.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice pictures, could you possibly post a(some) picture(s) of the lens? thanks. Smile

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good stuff Ian, you show your area of the country in a very favourable way

(almost said light)

patrickh

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your town centre maybe boring but outside and the countryside make up for it....my VG Helios 44m is the only M42 lens that wont screw onto my Pentax S3, no problem with my MTL3 and MTL5 and adapters.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks very good! How much PP did you do? My best 44 copy has sligthly lower color saturation, sligthly lower contrast, etc. OOC

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I did no PP at all, just resize and save as JPEG.

Take a look at this full size version of one of the stitches, it has had no PP other than stitching then some cropping, didn't need anything else, no sharpening, contrast or colour correction, it came out of the camera looking just right, which amazed me as I've never encountered another Helios 44-2 on this level or performance.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think both my copies are very sharp. I love them.

Silent machinery. by Mudplugga, on Flickr

That's cropped, no sharpening, colours boosted slightly. I think it's ISO 200 - maybe 400 ? It's hand held as well.
One thing I don't see is the swirly bokeh that many people think is a trait of this lens, I only see it in the 44M.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like that shot David. The swirly bokeh is more pronounced in my 44-M4 too. It does show up in this 44-2 but only in certain shots.

A few more I shot today, no PP, just resize for web, first is f5.6, rest are wide open:

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you post a picture of the lens, I noticed helios 44-2 can come with different coatings i've had one with purple coatings, and i have one with orange coating and one with light blue coatings Razz

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what i mean

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks exactly the same as the one on the right in your second pic.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At f/5.6 or f/8 the Helios-44 is really a superbe lens.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superb pictures Ian!

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

I do think this copy is much better than any other I've tried though, I've not had another one as sharp or contrasty as this one. It also lacks the wide open glow others have and the swirl is less too, all in all, it's quite different to the run of the mill 44-2s, I guess this is the top of the scale of the possible copy variation we know exists with Russian lenses.

I have a 44-2 made by MMZ which is just as you describe. The loss of sharpness at f2 is tiny and it doesn't have the glow either. I have a mint 44M-4 by KMZ and that is superb, but has just a bit of glow and is a bit softer at F2. The 44-2 really is special. It makes most (possibly all!) of my 50mm f1.8-ish lenses rather redundant since they often require stopping down to f2.8 to be really useable. (Because they glow wide open and often don't have another stop until f2.8 ).

My early attempts at a Helios 44 left me a sceptic with regard to this lens. But now I have a good one, I'm a total convert!

Mark

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio, I think this copy I have is like the superb copy you have. Interestingly, this one is so sharp at f2 and it doesn't get any sharper stopped down, it just gets more dof.

Cheers Mark. I must have had 7 or 8 44-2s and 3 or 4 44-M4s before this one, they were all good lenses but nothing like this copy, this one is something special, I don't have a better 50-ish lens and I have some top ones like the 1.4 and 1.7 Hexanons, Topcor 1.8/58, Pancolar 1.8/50, Biotar 2/58, Jupiter-8 red P etc.