Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Carl Zeiss Super-Q-Gigantar 0.33/40mm
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:56 pm    Post subject: Carl Zeiss Super-Q-Gigantar 0.33/40mm Reply with quote

Wow, this is a lens...

http://www.westlicht-auction.com/index.php?id=174750&_ssl=off&lang=3

I can't find an online DOF calculator for this lens...[/img]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never had seen one of this.

I never saw it in the contarex lenses catalogue, I guess.

It seems to be an Industrial lens, doesn't it?

Rino

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strange lens indeed, I wonder what the IQ is like? I always thought the fastest lens ever made was the one Kubrick used on Barry Lyndon that was an 0.85. 0.33 sounds almost impossible, has anyone verified this is an actual, real lens?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Night time shooting time! Cool

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What, no lens hood? hehe

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Strange lens indeed, I wonder what the IQ is like? I always thought the fastest lens ever made was the one Kubrick used on Barry Lyndon that was an 0.85. 0.33 sounds almost impossible, has anyone verified this is an actual, real lens?

In the 60's I have read that the physical limit to build fast lenses were the F/ 0,75.

But........who knows?

Rino

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

estudleon wrote:
iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

In the 60's I have read that the physical limit to build fast lenses were the F/ 0,75.

But........who knows?

Rino

It says on the auction site it was a one-off produced for marketing purposes so maybe the 0.33 is a bit of an exaggeration for publicity purposes?

It took a couple of years to get the Kollmorgen adapter and Zeiss 0.85/50mm lens to work together properly for Barry Lyndon and Kubrick spent a fortune doing so, ultra fast lenses are nto easy to make or use!

BTW, I recommend Barry Lyndon to everyone, not for the storyline (which I like) but for the cinematography, it is truly exquisite, particularly the indoor scenes lit by candlelight. I think A Clockwork Orange was a big part of the influence on me to become interested in artistic photogrpahy, gotta love Kubrick!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have another post here but it is worth to post it here.
http://forum.mflenses.com/fastest-lens-on-earth-by-zeiss-on-auction-t37873.html

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
We have another post here but it is worth to post it here.
http://forum.mflenses.com/fastest-lens-on-earth-by-zeiss-on-auction-t37873.html

Yes, the post by Xpres in that threas refers to the info I also found about this lens being essentially a publicity stunt and not a "real" lens at all Smile

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, enlarger condenser lens cobbled into a contarex mount, not even a useable lens...

I could make one, just get an old condenser lens and cobble it onto a Helios-44 body with some conical metal! lol

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[copied from another thread]

Looking at this, and other bulbous lenses, reminds me of this article [ http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2010/11/the-schott-heard-around-the-world ] and this 'lens':

Quote:
"Photographers... didn’t really have a lens, back in the 1860s, that would let them shoot a wide-angle scenic image. Thomas Sutton, an English photographer, noticed the wide angle of view he saw when looking through one of those water filled snowglobes ... and designed a lens that consisted of a water filled globe."

It was slow and required a globular frame for film, so it didn't really succeed. But I makes me wonder: Could it be kludged? For those who can't afford an enlarger condenser lens, why not just get a globe fishbowl and half-fill it with optical resin, like that windshield-repair resin we can use to fix lens scratches and cracks? Put that on a suitable body and mount, and VOILA!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or what could one do with a few strips of brass and one of THESE ???? Smile

The ULTIMATE fisheye Smile

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good for starting the backyard BBQ Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

90mm condenser lens, under 7ukp:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CONDENSER-LENS-Dia-90mm-BRITISH-OPTICAL-NEW-/320678081866?pt=UK_AudiVideoElectronics_Video_Electronics&hash=item4aa9e7354a

What other elements would you need to make a fisheye with one of those?

Wouldn't you need some collimating elements behind it?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
90mm condenser lens, under 7ukp:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CONDENSER-LENS-Dia-90mm-BRITISH-OPTICAL-NEW-/320678081866?pt=UK_AudiVideoElectronics_Video_Electronics&hash=item4aa9e7354a

What other elements would you need to make a fisheye with one of those?

Wouldn't you need some collimating elements behind it?

Well, this is the schematic for the Tammy SP 17mm, so it might be a bit more complex than that? Smile

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it sold at Westlicht May 28 for EUR60.000

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gasp! Shocked

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Leica 0 sold for EUR1.320.000 Wink (the first ever exported one)