Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nagel Plate Camera
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 1:41 am    Post subject: Nagel Plate Camera Reply with quote

Nagel Plate Camera with Doppel Anastigmat Jsconar f:4.5 F=13.5cm Jos. Schneider & Co Kreuznach in F. Deckel Munchen Compur Shutter.

I picked this up today-the shutter appears to work, bellows look good. I would love to find a manual-the search I've done hasn't yeilded one yet.

I'd love to learn more about this camera.

Thanks

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one !

Looks like its in fine shape.

Its a Nagel, (Dr. Nagel Werke of Stuttgart) the firm that was bought by Kodak in 1931. Nagel had only a short life under its founders name, but quite a long and glorious existence as Kodak Germany. This was the source of all the Kodak Retinas and otherwise most of Kodaks best cameras.

Because Nagel didn't last long, actual Nagel-branded cameras aren't all that common. Kodak-Nagels though are quite plentiful.

This camera may be one of the last Nagel products, as it has the later rim-set Compur, which probably came out in 1929. Its a very fine quality plate camera, one of the best makes of the time, comparable in build quality to the best Zeiss and Voigtlander models.

I have a very similar pair of Kodak Recomar 33's (one is for parts only), basically the same camera. The manuals should be the same -

http://www.butkus.org/chinon/kodak/kodak_recomar_no18_33/kodak_recomar_no18_33.htm

The Kodaks only really differ in having Kodak Tessar-type lenses and a later Compur with higher speeds.

Do you have the 9x12 plate/film holders for it ? Best thing to have though is a 120 back. These can be found, though rather scarce. Most of the 9x12 plate/film/roll backs will fit the Nagels/Kodaks, as they had wide slots.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Luis, that is exactly the kind of information I was looking for. I am afraid I did not get any film cartridges or film/plate holders with it. I will look for some 120 plate holders as you suggested. Thanks again for sharing your knowledge.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice find, congratulations.
The 120 backs can be found for as little as 20bucks but be prepared for a wait - try on ebay Germany - always go to the home country for things like that, there are many more of them there and prices are lower.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Farside wrote:
Nice find, congratulations.
The 120 backs can be found for as little as 20bucks but be prepared for a wait - try on ebay Germany - always go to the home country for things like that, there are many more of them there and prices are lower.

I am in no hurry in trying this out -I appreciate the tip-I am going to be browsing for some good deals.

Good day