Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Small, light and fast 35mm: nokton f/1.4
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:54 pm    Post subject: Small, light and fast 35mm: nokton f/1.4 Reply with quote

Yes, I have too many 35s.

But I could not resist this when it came up for a reasonable price (still not cheap), and knowing it could be easily resold, I grabbed it

outside it seems fine:

Sharpness at F8

ugly test shot I know

Insidde in dim light at 1.4 it is much softer of course--I'll throw up some test shots when I get something not to horrible, hehe

PS not hard to find or sell for 400USD w/hood but w/o finder. The 40mm 1.4 is about 100 cheaper.

Last edited by uhoh7 on Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:07 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Such a beauty set! Congrats!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very sexy lens and I don't think the test shots are ugly Smile

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

first congrats on the lens and nicely composed pix!! i had and sold this lens because, while nice, i didnt think it performed any better than lenses costing less than half, like the meoptar 40/1.5 or the konica hexar 40/1.8. true, they are not 35's, and theyre a half stop slower, but they cost $150 and $50 respectively and on my ep2 i couldnt find any IQ difference.

having said that, IQ is subjective, the nex is not the ep2, and your experience may be totally different!

Last edited by rbelyell on Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:02 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbelyell wrote:
first congrats on the lens and nicely composed pux! i had and sold this lens because, while nice, i didnt think it performed any better than lenses costing less than half, like the meoptar 40/1.5 or the konica hexar 40/1.8. true, they are not 35's, and theyre a half stop slower, but they cost $150 and $50 respectively and on my ep2 i couldnt find any IQ difference.

having said that, IQ is subjective, the nex is not the ep2, and your experience may be totally different!

I have that 40 1.8--it is wicked sharp and one of the great values, no doubt. The mount adapter makes it twice the size however, and it's slower, and it's a 40, which with 1.5x crop is quite different frame.

As said the nokton 40 1.4 is also much cheaper.

Can't find links to meoptar 40/1.5---perhaps put some up--would love to learn about them.

what mount is it?

ty for reply.

I could sell this and go for the 1.2, hehe, fastest 35 ever made.

But HUGE and Heavy, and more than double the price of this pricey little thing.

good thread on the 35 1.4 and alternatives

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102129

Last edited by uhoh7 on Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the meopta openar is i believe a czech lens in c mount--perfectly small for m4/3 cameras or should i say EVIL cameras like your nex. i think its just as sharp as both the konica and the nokton, but i like its color rendition better than the other two.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post some bokeh samples.
Close-up pictures.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Himself wrote:
Post some bokeh samples.
Close-up pictures.

I too have this combo, in fact, I was the buyer of rbelyell's lens! (Thx again). One thing that appears to have been a trade-off to create such a tiny, bright lens was the short focusing. Only .7m for a wide-normal leaves a lot to be desired in this way. That said, I picked up this guy not only for the bokeh I scrounged on various sites on the net, but as a normal lens for my wife to take with her on any occasion with the NEX. She rarely took her DSLR out as the size was too much to store in a day/diaper bag when out with our son. As you can see from uhoh7's first pic, this combo fits the bill (she doesn't use a hood though). So now she has an HD video and great still cam she can take for those moments anytime they happen. I'll ask her if she wouldn't mind me posting a few shots in the morning.

K.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the trade off for these incredible M and LTMs is the close focus, or lack thereof.

.7 is about as good as it gets.

that said, they friggin amaze me.

This one is plenty sharp at F8 or sooner, but I guess the tiny 2.5 skopar is even sharper past 5.6.

The 35 1.2 is pretty impressive wide open--sharper by quite a bit than this one at 1.4.

But 490grams and 800 used.

You have to draw the line somewhere.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nikon 50mm LTM lens focus down to 1.5 feet. Also, the 35mm Planar focus down to 0.5m, you can use it on NEX too, so, want to get more 35mm? Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh.. you got this one too.
Are you interested in a exchange for G 2/35 Planar ?
Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aleksanderpolo wrote:
Nikon 50mm LTM lens focus down to 1.5 feet. Also, the 35mm Planar focus down to 0.5m, you can use it on NEX too, so, want to get more 35mm? Twisted Evil

which nikon---I think there is one close focus 50, but it is special no?

+500 for sure I think

otherwise most ltm nikons 1m...but I may be wrong.

Planar--which mount?

TY

bokeh on short notice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That planar i guess Smile same as mine.

http://www.zeiss.com/C12567A8003B8B6F/EmbedTitelIntern/Planar2_35mm_e/$File/Planar2_35mm_e.pdf

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both Nikon 50/1.4 and 50/2 LTM close focus.

The 35mm planar is contax g mount.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here it is this evening wide open 1/30 iso400

Quite a bit sharper wide open than I thought at first. One funny thing about this lens: my nex goes crazy sometimes in jpeg rendering with it, with very hot tones and saturation: unusaable. Yet the coresponding Raws are just fine.

Then out of the blue you get a shot that look like it's a cut and past job, like the following:

I missed my focus a tad here, but quite a standout of the subject, gidget

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

had it with me today

100 of latter, which is wide open

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

here it is at the stop between f8 and F11 today:

bigger
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5264/5617966300_d98c1b4a1b_b.jpg

lower left edge:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like a nice contrasty lens, so I think you have made a nice buy there! I especially like the portrait of the woman with eyeglasses, perfect atmosphere.
About corners, well they will have to be evaluated on a full frame image, because corners on a micro 4/3 camera are not the real corners.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
It looks like a nice contrasty lens, so I think you have made a nice buy there! I especially like the portrait of the woman with eyeglasses, perfect atmosphere.
About corners, well they will have to be evaluated on a full frame image, because corners on a micro 4/3 camera are not the real corners.

actually nex is aps-c, not 4/3, but it is still 1.5x crop so they are not the true corners.

nevetheless considerable falloff is seen on various lenses, e.g my jupiter 8 is soft on the sides. Smile