Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

99p bargain! Aritar f2.8 35mm M42
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:40 am    Post subject: 99p bargain! Aritar f2.8 35mm M42 Reply with quote

Picked this up on ebay for 99p, mint condition, probably never been used. Never heard of Aritar, google finds nothing, not even on the lists of lensmakers.

It's all metal but not quite as heacy as my Helios 44-2 although similar in size. It's very well made and fels tough, I can't help but think it looks and feels like a Russian lens.

We had some glorious spring weather today so I got out and about and snapped some pics with this just to try it out on my EOS 10D.

It's a very easy lens to use, focuses down to about 1ft but is hard to focus then.

Not wonderfully sharp and lacks a bit of contrast perhaps but I like the pictures it takes, colours come out quite well saturated and the bokeh is nice with some swirli-ness in the corners wide open. The bokeh again reminds me of a Russian lens, similar to how my Helios 44-2 renders OOF areas I think.

All of these shots were taken wide open and are exactly as they came out of the camera, no PP.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure this isn't a multi-coated lens, hence the lack of contrast. When you point it anywhere near the direction of the sun it flares like mad. I think it might be single coated but could be uncoated.

All in all I really like this lens, it handles well, feels solid, is very easy to focus and I like the pics it takes. With a little PP to fix the contrast I think they look pretty good for a 99p lens.

Some examples of what happen when you point it towards the sun:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Made in Japan?. 99p is not bad for fun. Smile

Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's pretty awful if you ask me.

I'd feel like I'd been ripped off for even 99p. Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Third from last with the sparkles on the water is by far the best for me. But 99p for a fun walk out in the sunshine and one good keeper? I'd call that pretty cheap! You can always reverse it and use it as a macro lens Smile

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good fun for 99p! Looks like most of your images are over exposed though...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
Looks like most of your images are over exposed though...
Yes, makes it hard to judge how well the lens performs. CA isn't too harsh, from what I see in picture one.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
Made in Japan?. 99p is not bad for fun. Smile

Click here to see on Ebay

Yes, that's the one. Whoops, I was sure I paid 99p for this, ah well, it cost a pint of beer and that's good enough.

martinsmith99 wrote:

To me, if I enjoy using it then it's a good lens and I find this one fun to use, I suppose it's about learning it's characteristics and then learning to use them to best effect.

But mainly, I'm a pretty poor photographer and I think it's nore important for me to develop my skills before I spend much more on lenses.

This is the lens, quick snap with Helios 44-2 and on-cam flash.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

martyn_bannister wrote:
Third from last with the sparkles on the water is by far the best for me. But 99p for a fun walk out in the sunshine and one good keeper? I'd call that pretty cheap! You can always reverse it and use it as a macro lens Smile

That was a lucky shot, took lots of similar pics and that was the only one that had a half-decent exposure, most were very over-exposed.

I'll get more fun out of this lens yet so I will get my money's worth! lol

It's probably not the worst lens I own however - I've got a Domiplan that is really bad!

ManualFocus-G wrote:
Good fun for 99p! Looks like most of your images are over exposed though...

Yes, and I picked out the ones that suffered least from overexpoure. I think it's more the fault of the monkey operating the camera. All the best exposures were at wide open so I think I need to work on getting the settings on the camera right. Anyone know how to turn on the +/- exposure compensation on an EOS 10D?

A quick tweak of the brightness/contrast in Photoshop makes a big difference with the shots from this lens I think:

I actually like this shot, I've got a thing for lens flare:

I like the way colours come out after a bit of PP:

Someone mentioned the CS wasn't too bad, I noticed that too, lack of purple fringing on most shots, but you can see some when you point it towards the sunlight:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By any chance were the piccies taken in North Wales?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:

+1, sorry! Sad

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if the alternative was no lens, and thus no photo, I would call it a bargain.
Otherwise, it's clear that this lens is no contest for even the poorest of kit lenses. But, it's not just about the photo, it's also about the fun of trying something different, and for that I'd say it's 99p well spent - surely funnier than buying a newspaper for instance Smile

Last edited by Orio on Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:31 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try shoot some bw film with this lens - that's the only hope for it. Pictures above are plain disasters, unfortunatelly.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

axer wrote:
Try shoot some bw film with this lens - that's the only hope for it. Pictures above are plain disasters, unfortunatelly.

+1

Though I generally agree that even a cheap mediocre lens is better than no lens at all, sometimes no lens is better than a very bad lens. And this is a very bad lens.
Nothing worse for me than spending time shooting and realizing that it was a total waste of time.

The lens however did come with caps and pouch so at least these have a practical value.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DigiChromeEd wrote:
martinsmith99 wrote:

+1, sorry! Sad

+1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah well, it might be a lump of crap but i had fun using it, Shame the optics aren't upto snuff because I really like the way this lens handles on the camera.

Quite probably the reason it looks new despite being ancien is that whoever bought it new tried it, thought it was crap and never used it again!

At least I've learnt what a bad lens is like and that will allow me to fully appreciate the quality of a good lens, right?

I mean, if I had starte with a Fletogon or Distagon I'd never have learnt the hard way, right?

I also have to admit I'm not a good photogrpaher, just a beginner, not done any photogrpahy since I was at art college running around with a Spotmatic and developing BW prints.

So now I'm looking for a replacement 28 or 35mm lens. My budgest won't stretch to a Flektogon, perhaps I'll be able to find a Pentacon 28 in M42? I already have a excellent condition pentacon 2.8/28 but it won't hit infinity on my 10D with a praktica bayonet to EOS adapter which is a shame as it's a really nice lens and performs much better than this Avitar.

It's another stunning afternoon today so I'm off out with my Helios 44-2 screwed to my body to take some more shots, at least with this lens I know it's a decent performer.

Anyone got any suggestions for a good 28 or 35mm lens?

Maybe I'll just have to save my pennies and get a Mir-1b 37mm?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Ah well, it might be a lump of crap but i had fun using it, Shame the optics aren't upto snuff because I really like the way this lens handles on the camera.

Quite probably the reason it looks new despite being ancien is that whoever bought it new tried it, thought it was crap and never used it again!

At least I've learnt what a bad lens is like and that will allow me to fully appreciate the quality of a good lens, right?

I mean, if I had starte with a Fletogon or Distagon I'd never have learnt the hard way, right?

I also have to admit I'm not a good photogrpaher, just a beginner, not done any photogrpahy since I was at art college running around with a Spotmatic and developing BW prints.

So now I'm looking for a replacement 28 or 35mm lens. My budgest won't stretch to a Flektogon, perhaps I'll be able to find a Pentacon 28 in M42? I already have a excellent condition pentacon 2.8/28 but it won't hit infinity on my 10D with a praktica bayonet to EOS adapter which is a shame as it's a really nice lens and performs much better than this Avitar.

It's another stunning afternoon today so I'm off out with my Helios 44-2 screwed to my body to take some more shots, at least with this lens I know it's a decent performer.

Anyone got any suggestions for a good 28 or 35mm lens?

Maybe I'll just have to save my pennies and get a Mir-1b 37mm?

The way I see it, no experience is a wasted experience Smile

Get the Mir24 [available in Nikon mount and M42 mount] - this is a great performer in terms of bokeh and the images are decently contrasty

You should be able to get one for less then €100

It's also referred to as the cheaper Leica 35 Summicron [Bokeh King]

AND it focusses down to around .23 mtrs

I dont know your taste in photography so here are some random samples ->

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dementedjesus/4489586265/in/set-72157623766494146/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dementedjesus/4489531447/in/set-72157623766494146/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dementedjesus/4489535673/in/set-72157623766494146/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/voe/3094618525/in/pool-1406228@N23

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jkxathome/4847976960/in/pool-1406228@N23

http://www.flickr.com/photos/garythegit/553392643/in/pool-1406228@N23

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Hari, I wasn't aware of the Mir-24. I loved the samples, such saturated colours and the bokeh is rather nice too, a bit like a wider version of a Helios-44.

Do you think the Mir-24 is preferable to the Mir-27?

Anyone got any experience with a Tamron 2.5/28? Seem to be mixed reviews on this one.

BTW, one good thing has come out of my fun with the Aritar yesterday - a friend was looking at my pics on Facebook and never knew he could put an old manual lens on his DSLR so he's ordered an M42 adapter and I'm going to lend him one of my Helios 44-2s to have a play with.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Thanks Hari, I wasn't aware of the Mir-24. I loved the samples, such saturated colours and the bokeh is rather nice too, a bit like a wider version of a Helios-44.

Do you think the Mir-24 is preferable to the Mir-27?

Anyone got any experience with a Tamron 2.5/28? Seem to be mixed reviews on this one.

BTW, one good thing has come out of my fun with the Aritar yesterday - a friend was looking at my pics on Facebook and never knew he could put an old manual lens on his DSLR so he's ordered an M42 adapter and I'm going to lend him one of my Helios 44-2s to have a play with.

You probably meant Mir 37?

Yes, i do prefer the Mir24 over the Mir 37 but everything photography is a purely personal preference - my suggestion would be to go through many images shot with a similar set up you have in mind if you cant borrow one

Excellent! Spread the MF magic!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, yes, I meant 37. I'd love both a 24 and a 37, are they both copies of Zeiss designs? I'm guessing either Flektogon or Distagon.

Ideally for wide angle I'd like a Flektogon but they are not often seen cheap.

Same thing with Pancolars, would love one of those too.

Is there as chart anywhere that list Russian lenses and what Zeiss designs they are copies of?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Sorry, yes, I meant 37. I'd love both a 24 and a 37, are they both copies of Zeiss designs? I'm guessing either Flektogon or Distagon.

Ideally for wide angle I'd like a Flektogon but they are not often seen cheap.

Same thing with Pancolars, would love one of those too.

Is there as chart anywhere that list Russian lenses and what Zeiss designs they are copies of?

Flektogon.
http://www.zenitcamera.com/archive/lenses/mir-1.html

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 99p bargain! Aritar f2.8 35mm M42 Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Picked this up on ebay for 99p

Nice shot, worth at least 99p Smile

The pics look a bit soft, but someday you might need a m42 mount, helicoid or just springs/ball bearings, and you'll know where to look.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 99p bargain! Aritar f2.8 35mm M42 Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:

Flektogon.
http://www.zenitcamera.com/archive/lenses/mir-1.html

Thanks Calvin, so the Mir-1 is a copy of the Fletogon 37mm, interesting, I almost bought an old chrome barrel Mir-1 in M39 a while back, one of those ones with 'Grand Prix Brussels 1958' engraved on the barrel. It needed a lot of cleaning though so I passed. I'll keep my eye out for an M42 one.

fuzzywuzzy wrote:

Nice shot, worth at least 99p Smile

The pics look a bit soft, but someday you might need a m42 mount, helicoid or just springs/ball bearings, and you'll know where to look.

Pure luck that shot, I think it has a vintage look to it.

Good point, I am keeping it in case I find a nice lens that needs a mount and focusing helicoid. Something like a Schneider from an old Reflex Retinette or a Cardinar from an old Zeiss Werramatic.

Just finished doing some slight PP (exposure correction and cropping) on the shots i took with the Helios 44-2, the difference in sharpness and overall image quality is pretty marked versus the Aritar I think.

I'll go back to the beach tomorrow and take some more sea shots but with the Helios this time. That beach is a magical place, the sound of the waves on the pebbles has to be heard - the ultimate in immersive surround sound!

Someone say Bokeh? I love the painterly effects this lens gives you when wide open. I can see why the Helios 44 started so many people off on a love of Russian glass! I just bought two more 44-2s for 2.75 each but I think this first copy looks to be a decent one, it's in mint condition apart from some white marks one the barrel I need to clean off, it's limescale left behind after it sat in a puddle in someone's loft on a Zenit body for years, the Zenit was badly corroded and the Hoya skylight filter on the lens was covered in limescale but underneath the front element was unmarked and has that lovely purple colour from the coating.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

Hey, I'm not convinced that the lens is always so vital for the end result. Otherwise the lomo b&w type photography wouldn't be so popular.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martyn_bannister wrote:
iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

Hey, I'm not convinced that the lens is always so vital for the end result. Otherwise the lomo b&w type photography wouldn't be so popular.

I very much agree Martin, a lot of my favourite photos I've seen recently have been lo-fi ones with vintage or diy lenses and using the distortion, abberation, softness etc to artictic effect.

I can see me using the Avitar again but being selective about what shots I use it for. I think some of the pics I took with it have an interesting vintage look and I can see situations where it's lack of sharpness and contrast could actually be useful, mostly for artictic shots and being a painter I tend to take mostly artsy shots. Although it's slightly out of focus, over exposed, has lots of flare and very little contrast, I really like the shot of the three daffodils, looks like a painting I think. In fact, i think I might make a painting based on it.

The Lomography thing is anti-photography almost to me. Very clever marketing and I think it's more about the social networking aspects that attracts people. Timing was key to why lomography took off, it was an active and thriving website before facebook and flickr started.

Reason I call it anti-photography is because it encourages people not to think before they press the shutter and to me, that is an approach that may produce gold once in a while but is akin to throwing muck against a wall - some will stick eventually. Photography is almost equal parts art and science and if you remove almost all of the pre-meditation and methodology it greatly detrats from the process imho.

I'm sure running around a city with a Lomo with a meniscus lens is fun but I bet most people would have just as much fun with a Leica, a roll of Tri-X and a Flektogon. I know I had endless hours of pleasure out of a Praktica ML and a Zeiss (Japan) 24mm in my teens. The ML's meter was broken (didn't all Praktica meters go wrong?) so I used an ancient Weston handheld meter and the latitude of the BW film did the rest. I still have that Weston meter somewhere, I'm going to have to get used to using it again (if it still works accurately) as I'm finding some difficulty in getting exposures right using the TTL metering on my EOS with M42 lenses. I'm using the exposure compensation as well as the aperture in the lens itself and finding it a bit hit and miss. I think I need to get some ND filters and use exposure bracketing, have to read the manual to work out how to set it up to take a 3 or 5 shot sequence.