Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

99p bargain! Aritar f2.8 35mm M42
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost, bit not totally in agreement. I am not in the slightest bit creative.

To me, the "muck against the wall" aspect of digital photography means I'm not afraid to experiment and, once in a while, come up with a result which I find pleasing.

One thing I do find is that exposure can be scientific or empirical and I find the empirical approach works well for me. I take a shot and then play it back with the RGB histogram on show. If it's over or under exposed then I can correct that and re-shoot. Doesn't take long to get a feel for how my 5D and a particular lens are working together and from then on I can use exposure compesation. Works for me ?)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martyn_bannister wrote:
Almost, bit not totally in agreement. I am not in the slightest bit creative.

To me, the "muck against the wall" aspect of digital photography means I'm not afraid to experiment and, once in a while, come up with a result which I find pleasing.

One thing I do find is that exposure can be scientific or empirical and I find the empirical approach works well for me. I take a shot and then play it back with the RGB histogram on show. If it's over or under exposed then I can correct that and re-shoot. Doesn't take long to get a feel for how my 5D and a particular lens are working together and from then on I can use exposure compesation. Works for me ?)

I agree, the muck against the wall aspect is a great thing, I spent most of a student grant on Tri-X, developer and photo paper so spending ages working out the focus and exposure before pressing the shutter release was a serious matters of pounds and pence, these days a 2Gb card is a fiver from hong kong and you can fit millions of pics of storage in your shirt pocket.

I'm not new to photography but new to digital photography, beign an artict I have used photoshop for years for other purposes so I'm only just learning to use it as a digital darkroom. I only got my EOS 10D a few weeks back, first DSLR I've owned and it came secondhand with no manual so I'm only figuring out all it's features. That technique of looking at the histogram is brilliant, have to find out if my camera will do that.

It's going to be a long learning curve for me but at least I understand the basics of photography and have some experience squinting into a viewfinder from my youth. Finding this forum has helped me a lot already.

Once I've got the knack of focusing and exposing with my 10D I can expend my efforts on the creative side but for now, I'm just having to learn by doing. I like your approach of experimenting and slecting just those that please, I think we all do that to some extent, me, I love experimenting, it's often how new techniques are developed.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can download your Canon 10D user manual from the Canon website http://software.canon-europe.com/software/0024308.asp?model=; not that exciting as exploring everything yourself, but faster.