Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

How to change a screen in a Pentax MX slr?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:36 am    Post subject: How to change a screen in a Pentax MX slr? Reply with quote

Hi All
I am just wondering if any of you have changed the screen in a camera and is it terribly hard to do?I have just received some screens via a member here on the forum (many thanks Univer) and I am busting to try one out to see if I can use my mirror lens on the MX....the original screen was not clear enough for focusing when using the mirror.
I have seen the instructions on the butkus site but for me they are not clear enough.... do you slide it out or clip it in place?
Thanks
I had better be clear I have the LX SE25 matte screen,I know they are interchangeable with the MX but I note there is a small extra piece on the LX focusing screen than the MX screens.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only have experience replacing the screens in Pentax DSLRS. In those cameras, you just unlock the hinged screen frame which then comes down. The screen can then be removed with a pair of tweezers (preferably made of plastic, or with plastic tips), and replaced with the new screen. The screen frame can then be clicked back in place.

Hope I made myself clear enough Smile

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes very clear,thanks...The only tweezers that came with the screens are metal.
These are the instructions in the butkus manual...I can not see what the tweezers grab onto as the foam bumper in my MX is in the way... Mad

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was your MX restored in some way? The foam bumper should have a hole in it to reach the "lock" to release the screen frame.

By the way: the old screen comes down in the frame. It's loose inside that frame; grab the tab with the tweezers.

The reason that the old manual shows a metal tweezer is that original screens have the tab to handle them (the tab is purely for changing the screens and for orientation purposes) while many aftermarket screens lack this tab and you have to touch the screen surface to replace it. And metal tweezers damage the screen surface...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh Thank you.... yes the Foam was replaced recently but no gap was left. Sad
I should be able to work something out with the tweezers and removing a bit of foam... Mad to get the screen.I wish it was easier as I get nervous about damaging the camera and the screens.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use the tweezers to gently press down the bumper foam in the center, the release pin should be seen just behind the foam. Camera on back, top away from you, move the foam, carefully grab only the pin with the tweezers, pull gently toward camera front. The little tray hinges down, holding focus screen. If screen has no grab tab, use finger cots or gloves. No worries if a little dip remains in the foam where it was compressed -- foam is there for bumper not for light seal. Wink

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
foam is there for bumper not for light seal

Thank you for this piece of info it certainly takes the worry out now Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's really not difficult...it will make sense once you unlatch the screen frame Cool

Having the little special tweezers makes it a lot easier if you have a pair...they naturally "clamp" the tab on the screen then you compress the tweezers to release the screen from its grasp.

Hardest part is locking the screen into the camera. Scratched my one K10D screen a little Embarassed But the MX is easier.