Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Zeiss 135mm Planar vs Sonnar: a quick comparison
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:41 pm    Post subject: Zeiss 135mm Planar vs Sonnar: a quick comparison Reply with quote

I had some difficulty getting satisfactory results from my 2/135.

So I did a quick comparison, just to make sure my 2/135 Planar is OK and that (as expected) the problem is the photographer.

I took a few shots of an ISO resolution chart from a distance of 3 meters.
These are 100% crops from in-camera JPEGs without any post-processing.
The target is 50x75 cm in size:

Of course there is much more to comparing two lenses than a resolution chart. Nevertheless, you may find it interesting.
I think I have not made any serious mistake in taking these shots.
The exposure was exactly the same for both lenses.

Planar @ f/2.8

Sonnar @ f/2.8

Planar @ f/4

Sonnar @ f/4

I think the Planar has clearly the upper hand. It also better in terms of distortion.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and 3 or 4 times more expensive Smile

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
and 3 or 4 times more expensive Smile

And, what's worse, 2 times the weight Smile

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As first thing, you need to consider that Zeiss lenses are optimized for infinity. A resolution chart at 3 mt. distance is not going to bring the best out of the lenses.

The difference in performance at f/2.8 is obviously due to the fact that the sonnar is wide open, while the planar is stopped down. At f/4, the performances are closer, although at the edges the planar is better (do you have a MM Sonnar or AE Sonnar?)

The Planar shows the typical purple fringing that it displays at high contrast edges. This rarely affects real pictures because the planar is a lens that is usually used in low light situations, or in studio situations, where you control the lighting. In bright sunlight, and for landscapes, the Sonnar is a more convenient performer.

Finally I have to say that my copies of the Sonnar 135 perform better than what I see here also at closeup. Maybe you don't have a lucky copy. Try replacing it with another copy, of MM type (AE sonnar 135 have lower edge performance).

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio, my Sonnar is MM type.
I am very happy with its performance. Else I would have chosen another lens to compare the Planar to.
In another quick test I found the Sonnar sharper than the Canon 70-200 2.8 IS II, which is an impressive lens.

Perhaps quality control got worse in the end of the Contax line (S/N is 8.0XX.XXX).

However, a resolution chart is a very tough target.
Perhaps it is not very safe to compare lenses without photos of the same target.
To give you an example, I would never believe that the edges of the 2/35 ZE at f/2 are so much better than the Vario-Sonnar 35-70 at f/3.4.
The Vario-Sonnar does not stop to amaze me every time I use it. But I took the photos myself and the Vario-Sonnar
looks (comparatively) like a cheap Sigma zoom (of course the ZE has very annoying vignetting and a lot of CA).

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the 135/2.

Last edited by jjphoto on Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

congrats for your new planar!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
congrats for your new planar!

Thank you!
As soon as I get interesting photos outdoors, I will post here.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice test, thx for sharing! I also like to look at infinity tests (landscape comparisons) more then resolution charts, not just because, as Orio points out, CZ lenses are optimized for it, but because it's more interesting. Smile
And also, I found out that when you want to get a better sense of the performance of great lenses like these, you have to conduct a series of tests and only then come up with a final conclusion, there are just too many factors in it.

Looking forward to seeing some real-world samples from your Planar!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would rather accept the apparent softness of the 2.8 sonnar than the purple fringing of the 2.0 planar

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

symphonic wrote:

And also, I found out that when you want to get a better sense of the performance of great lenses like these, you have to conduct a series of tests and only then come up with a final conclusion, there are just too many factors in it.

Like I said, this was intended as a quick test to verify that my Planar is optically sound.
In this forum, we usually talk about the character of a lens. This can never be observed in resolution charts...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Performance charts may give some info, but real world testing and personal preference are not covered by charts.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nkanellopoulos wrote:
Perhaps quality control got worse in the end of the Contax line (S/N is 8.0XX.XXX).

However, a resolution chart is a very tough target.
Perhaps it is not very safe to compare lenses without photos of the same target.
To give you an example, I would never believe that the edges of the 2/35 ZE at f/2 are so much better than the Vario-Sonnar 35-70 at f/3.4.
The Vario-Sonnar does not stop to amaze me every time I use it. But I took the photos myself and the Vario-Sonnar looks (comparatively) like a cheap Sigma zoom (of course the ZE has very annoying vignetting and a lot of CA).

I've only heard very positive things about the 80xxxxx serial Contax lenses.

With regard to the VS 35-70: I've seen a test that shows that at medium distance the VS 35-70 has better corners even than the Z* Makro-Planar 50/2 at apertures until f/5.6. I have the feeling that the copies of this lens are quite variable though. Some are not aligned correctly.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@nkanellopoulos

could you take a picture of a mountain with Planar and the same with Sonnar?
so we can see the microcontrast.
again it is better to see the differences in pictures where there are a lot of details.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

metallaro1980 wrote:
@nkanellopoulos
could you take a picture of a mountain with Planar and the same with Sonnar?
so we can see the microcontrast.
again it is better to see the differences in pictures where there are a lot of details.

At the widest aperture, the Sonnar has more contrast.
This of course can be easily explained by the 1 stop maximum aperture difference and by the large front glass of the Planar which has trouble controlling the flare caused by the incoming light.
This is also immediately controllable if you compare the wide open 10 cycles/mm lines of the MTFs published by Zeiss here:

http://www.zeiss.com/C12567A8003B58B9/ContentsWWWIntern/5ED01EB620D0B1CEC12570F80033CADA

The 10 cycles/mm line of the Sonnar 135 approaches the 0,9 value already at wide open, and stays basically the same through all the apertures (with only a small physiological increase at the optimal aperture of f/5.6)
The same line in the Planar 135 starts under the 0.8 value.
At f/5.6 the two lenses are virtually identical, with only a more pronounced falling curve of the tangential line in the Planar MTF, caused by the higher spherical aberration.

The Sonnar 135 is a very under rated lens in the Contax catalogue. This is really difficult to explain with anything else than a "fashion factor".
Of course the Planar is a fantastic value in low light, or when you need to blur the background.
But in full sunlight, the Sonnar performs just as well, and it's more portable.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:

The Sonnar 135 is a very under rated lens in the Contax catalogue. This is really difficult to explain with anything else than a "fashion factor".
Of course the Planar is a fantastic value in low light, or when you need to blur the background.
But in full sunlight, the Sonnar performs just as well, and it's more portable.

My results fully confirm what you say Orio!
The MTF was my motivation to buy the Sonnar...

In a quick test I found the Sonnar to be sharper than the new 70-200 f/2.8 IS from Canon, which is a very sharp lens (and costs 2200 Euros). I think I got my Sonnar (mint) for $200. It is a really great value.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the mtf of sonnar 2.8/135 and planar 2/135 are not equal
the 40 cycles/mm curve and 20 cycles/mm curve of planar 2/135 are more high than sonnar (@5.6)

i like the sonnar but one thing... a very good fashion lens is the apo-lanthar 3.5/90 SL2 .... ♥

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

metallaro, stop whipping that poor smiley! What has it done? Laughing

One good thing about the 135mm Planar that we have not mentioned is that it has negligible vignetting wide-open.
This is not the case with many other f/2 lenses from Zeiss.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nkanellopoulos wrote:
metallaro, stop whipping that poor smiley! What has it done? Laughing

One good thing about the 135mm Planar that we have not mentioned is that it has negligible vignetting wide-open.
This is not the case with many other f/2 lenses from Zeiss.

I saw more vignetting with Canon 1.8/50 (wide-open) than Planar 1.4/50 (wide-open)...and maybe you can understand my avatar!

Last edited by metallaro1980 on Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:00 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now post some images from both so we can compare rendering. Smile I don't care if both are wide open or at 2.8 but I'd like to see how the bokeh compares.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

please look my last post ...

Last edited by metallaro1980 on Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:08 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for me .. the shot with Sonnar @ f/2.8 is a bit wrong focus
if you compare this @ f/2.8 with http://forum.mflenses.com/test-contax-sonnar-135-2-8-vs-canon-70-200-f-2-8l-is-ii-t32415.html @ f/2.8 .....
is my impression but the numbers are more clear...

Wink Wink Wink