Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

K-5 + DA* 55/1.4 SDM compared to 5D + 83/1.9 Takumar
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:09 pm    Post subject: K-5 + DA* 55/1.4 SDM compared to 5D + 83/1.9 Takumar Reply with quote

The test is flawed as the Tak was focused differently, but here it is:

A 55mm f/1.4 on APS-C is like 82,5mm f/2.1 on FF. So comparing the relatively new DA* 55mm f/1.4 SDM with the 55 year old 83mm f/1.9 Takumar does not seem to be a stupid idea...

In both cases the white balance was done manually (on the RAW files, the white T-shirt was the white point). Also the "Blacks" slider was set to 0 in Adobe Camera Raw (so no crushed blacks here). Both cameras were set to ISO 1000.

I'm going to redo the test, but the 83mm f/1.9 Takumar certainly does not perform bad for a 55 year old lens compared to a new lens with SMC, Aero Bright and Super Protect coating. After all, we are comparing a lens with 80% or so light transmission against a lens that has a close to 99% light transmission.

Last edited by Spotmatic on Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:44 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

interesting, dof seem shorter on the 5D
or the focus was more front on the 5D
have you check your screen

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

83mm old lens has better skin tone rendering looks like like Leica R 90mm rendering.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poilu, indeed and I did note that at the beginning of my post. It's hard to keep the variables the same, using two completely different cameras and two completely different lenses. It's fun though.

It's also worth noting that for me the net costs of the 5D + 83/1.9 Takumar were exactly half of that of the K-5 + DA* 55/1.4 SDM. More pleasing results on fullframe, at half the cost, who would not want that... Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer more contrasty rendering of K5/DA* combo, but not the skin colors. It's matter of taste, I'm not exactly fan of "soft portraits". On the other side, smc Pentax lenses are to much saturated in reds for skin tones - again, to my taste.
The bokeh of Takumar is more pleasing....but the DA* doesn't lag behind and shows that Pentax optical department did great job with their new "portrait flagship". Sharp and contrasty lens with pleasing bokeh wide open. Not easy to balance all this contradictory requirements.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have updated the first post with two additional pictures in an outdoor setting with difficult background. Any input?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Peter!
Like Atiila said, I like also more the skin tone rendering from the combo tak+5D (does it comes from the lens or the cam or both, no idea!). But the contrast and WB seems beter with the combo pentax, at least on my eyes Rolling Eyes ....About the bokey, rendering seems very close with both combo!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Pascal! The difference between the two lenses is that there's some Out Of Focus CA in the DA* 55/1.4 SDM shots. It's not very apparent here but in the crops it is. The 83mm Tak does not show any CA, anywhere.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotmatic wrote:
The 83mm Tak does not show any CA, anywhere.

quite surprising from a "old" lens compared to a much modern lens design or not?!!!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pich900 wrote:
Spotmatic wrote:
The 83mm Tak does not show any CA, anywhere.

quite surprising from a "old" lens compared to a much modern lens design or not?!!!

Of course, the DA* was used at f/1.4 whereas the Tak was used at only f/1.9. So that would explain it also.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, now the Tak has clearly smoother bokeh. But again, it's much more challenging to design f1.4 55mm lens in comparison to f1.9 83mm. On the other side, in this lighting, I like DA* colors more. I see some yellow cast in 5D image. I think it's body thing, I have same experience with my 5D in comparison to Samsung GX20 (K20D). Even with Leica APO-Elmarit 100 which has probably most neutral color rendering of all my lenses.
Can you please do same shot with both lenses stopped down to 2.8-4 on Pentax body to compare color rendering and contrast?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bokeh & sharpness is better with the 83
colors are different, jacket is gray blue for the 55 and green for the 83

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the rendering of the autofocus lens better Sad Embarassed