Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Anyone heard of Vivitar 100/f2.8 (non-macro) M42?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:55 pm    Post subject: Anyone heard of Vivitar 100/f2.8 (non-macro) M42? Reply with quote

Been searching on the web for past couple days but can't find any details on the lens. The only Vivitar 100/f2.8 that showed up is the macro version but the non-macro seems to be unknown.

Anyone has any idea?

Here are the pictures of the lens taken from eBAY

Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I have the lens you speak of but labeled as a Hanimar. One distinguishing feature is that it focuses clockwise to infinity, opposite most Vivitars. Mine is Canon FL mount. Here's a pic.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about a 100mm but I have a 105 f/2.8 T4 lens.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

casualcollector and BigDawg - thanks for chiming in. I guess we'll have to wait until I have the lens to find out for sure. The serial number starts with 40xxxxx so I guess it's a much older lens made before Vivitar started using the serial structure that we know today.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone heard of Vivitar 100/f2.8 (non-macro) M42? Reply with quote

ducdao wrote:
Been searching on the web for past couple days but can't find any details on the lens. The only Vivitar 100/f2.8 that showed up is the macro version but the non-macro seems to be unknown.

Anyone has any idea?

I think this is the same lens as being dicussed here http://forum.mflenses.com/chinonflex-100mm-f-2-8-in-m42-mount-t18348.html

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone heard of Vivitar 100/f2.8 (non-macro) M42? Reply with quote

dimitrygo wrote:
ducdao wrote:

Anyone has any idea?

I think this is the same lens as being dicussed here http://forum.mflenses.com/chinonflex-100mm-f-2-8-in-m42-mount-t18348.html

I agree after comparing it with my Pentor version. The A/M switch is the same, and so are the engravings on the DOF scale. Only the feet/meter scales have been switched. This should be a VERY fine lens!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 40 could be an older one than the normal range of Vivitart serial numbers which started in the very late 60's and ended in the early 90's. But most serial number lists do not show a 77XXX number either and we know that is a Kobori serial number. Vivitar seemed with the presets to use different groups as a series...such as the 4XXXX series the 5XXXX series, the 6XXXX series and the 7XXXX series. Usually these had a 28mm a 35mm a 135mm, a 200mm and sometimes a 300mm and a 400mm Etc...... Some of these series had oddball sizes thrown into the mix such as a 85mm, a 180mm or a 250mm. There may be a 100mm I've not seen or heard of...heck The 2 window 250mm I found was not that widely known either....it has a 6XXXX serial number.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Dawg wrote:
The 40 could be an older one than the normal range of Vivitart serial numbers which started in the very late 60's and ended in the early 90's. But most serial number lists do not show a 77XXX number either and we know that is a Kobori serial number. Vivitar seemed with the presets to use different groups as a series...such as the 4XXXX series the 5XXXX series, the 6XXXX series and the 7XXXX series. Usually these had a 28mm a 35mm a 135mm, a 200mm and sometimes a 300mm and a 400mm Etc...... Some of these series had oddball sizes thrown into the mix such as a 85mm, a 180mm or a 250mm. There may be a 100mm I've not seen or heard of...heck The 2 window 250mm I found was not that widely known either....it has a 6XXXX serial number.

As I have mentioned in that second thread most chances it is Sun made lens

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all for your valuable insights. This looks like fun and I can't wait to get my grip on the lens and try it out Smile

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know how this Tokina 2.8/100mm fits in the family ?

Or is this something completely different Question