Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sonnar type ~50mm
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:11 pm    Post subject: Sonnar type ~50mm Reply with quote

Hi, I have asked this question in another forum, but I would like to expand the search beyond rangefinder lens, so here I asked:

I really like the way a sonnar type draw and the color/contrast of a Zeiss lens. So I have my eyes looking at C-Sonnar 50/1.5, but 0.9m close focus is a bit limiting... I am wondering if there are other alternatives with perhaps a smaller price tag? I've read somewhere that Nikkor-S 50/1.4 is sonnar type, but reading the diagrams here

http://translate.google.it/translate?js=y&prev=_t&hl=it&ie=UTF-8&layout=1&eotf=1&u=http://www.luciolepri.it/lc2/marcocavina/articoli_fotografici/Nikkor_50_1,4_S_Auto/00_pag.htm&sl=it&tl=en

have me confused whether it is a Sonnar or Planar Confused

Also, do the earlier Zeiss Sonnar 50/1.5 or Jupiter clone have similar color/contrast to the contemporary (Contax->Zx) versions?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Sonnar type ~50mm Reply with quote

aleksanderpolo wrote:

Also, do the earlier Zeiss Sonnar 50/1.5 or Jupiter clone have similar color/contrast to the contemporary (Contax->Zx) versions?
Thanks.

I think only Carlsson here can reply having both lenses. I have the historical version and it's a sweet lens for portraits but it surely can not have the contrast of the modern ZM version, because the old lens is single-coated.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always understood that a Sonnar type has at least a cemented group of three elements in the front part of the lens. With that in mind, the Nikkor-S 50/1.4 cannot be a Sonnar type (it's a Double Gauss design).

The one and only Sonnar standard lens for SLR's ever made is still the Asahi Opt. Co. 58mm F2 Takumar (M42 mount).

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even the first 5.8cm f/1.4 Nikkor is a Gauss type, and Nikon argues that a Sonnar design could not be used for the purpose due to the mirror clearance: http://imaging.nikon.com/products/imaging/technology/nikkor/n40_e.htm

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ic, so it is probably the RF Nikkor-S that's the Sonnar type then...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like this one?

Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that's the one (and the one I and a few others on this forum have). I would have liked it to be more common, but unfortunately it's indeed rare.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aleksanderpolo wrote:
ic, so it is probably the RF Nikkor-S that's the Sonnar type then...

Right, according to Nikon, "The 5cm f/2, 5cm f/1.5, 5cm f/1.4, 8.5cm f/2, and 8.5cm f/1.5 [RF] lenses were all based on the Sonnar-type design."

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aleksanderpolo wrote:
Like this one?

Click here to see on Ebay

Yes, I have two of them Very Happy This one was relatively cheap, the latest I saw in auction was Click here to see on Ebay (£365)

Some pictures with the lens : http://kajiwara.weebly.com/takumar-582.html

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the Nikkor 50mm F1.4 that I had was Sonnar design, I'd not advise it. It was really nothing special and nowhere near as good as the likes of Takumars, Helios, Pentacons, etc that can be found for much cheaper amounts.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After some research it appears that indeed only the RF Nikkor 50 are Sonnar. Wonder why there are so few Sonnar SLR 50s...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I'm right, a Sonnar normal lens would hit the mirror of a SLR. Apart from the 58/2 which has been designed for Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw you listing the 58/2 Tak, it's extremely tempting! But I've just got a Nikon ltm 50/2 so hopefully the Sonnar thirst can be quenched a little bit. Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two of them, so I can sell one without missing it Very Happy