Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Flattest drying 35mm black and white film?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:52 pm    Post subject: Flattest drying 35mm black and white film? Reply with quote

I like Tri-X/Arista Premium 400, but I do not like how it retains a long-axis curl no matter how long it has been prerssed in heavy books.
Kentmere 400 (re-badged Ilford) dries flat but is a little different in its look.
Acros 100 dries flat. Does its 400 asa cousin dry flat?
Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw this ? at RFF as well. Here is my experience.
Look for Polyester backed films such as the ones from Rollei/Maco.
They stay nearly flat. Here is the thing to be careful about. They are brittle not flexy!
These films can be very easy to tear. I've gone to the extent of cutting the tape of the backer when shooting 120.
Also be careful at the end of the roll using 35mm not to strip the sprocket holes. No Feds or Zorkis!
Trying to tear the tape of can and has lent to torn film before.
The bonus is maco films are fantastic. The cleanest clearest blacks you will ever see.
Rollei IR400 exposed as regular film at iso200 (sans filtering) is one of my favorites. A bit expensive but when you need it. Wink

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ilford tends to be flatter than Kodak. Fuji, as you've noted, is flatter still. Yes the ASA 400 Fuji is flatter than most. The gutter curl in Kodak b&w is what keeps me from using it too often.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nesster wrote:
Ilford tends to be flatter than Kodak. Fuji, as you've noted, is flatter still. Yes the ASA 400 Fuji is flatter than most. The gutter curl in Kodak b&w is what keeps me from using it too often.

I like Kodak, the TMAX 400 is so stiff and bowed I'm thinking of using it
for raingutters. Laughing Acros is the flattest I've seen, but I don't get on with
it, and dislike those that do. Laughing

Buying Andy's recommeded films will give you the flattest wallet, Paul,
guaranteed. Wink

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's for sure Wink

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are a trip. Laughing
No love for Fomapan/Arista EDU?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing is.
Cheap films like the two you mention perform well but are cheap for a reason.
The manufacturer has to skimp somewhere. Or more likely they are re-branded films from stock that does not make the "A" grade of the original brand (Arista for example).
I shoot tons of Neopan SS 100 in 35mm as it was dirt cheap as a massive bulk pack that was short dated. It was cheap but still super nice IMHO.
Slower speed films >100 are safe to buy shorted. So maybe try and look for nicer slow film that is expired or short.
Either that or get some Anti Newton Ring Glass for your scanning carriers and don't worry about the flatness as the glass flattens the film out.
Do try some Rollei/Maco though. Maybe to clean for grain junkies but even grain junkies want sharpness sometimes.
All right I'll shut up now.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy, what do you use to dev the Maco films?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far the Tmax developer Bill. I have some fancy film of theirs I think R3 or something like that.
It's supposed to be done in their own juice to get the most out of it. I have yet to expose some.
The IR400 I develop for 7min at 75F with for a "normal" time as shot at 200iso.
The MDC says to soup it 12min at 68F for a iso25 "Normal" when shooting it as IR (filtered).
I think what they mean is the filter brings the EI down to 25iso.
Not sure about that I always ran it for 7min for IR (R72filter) as well and metered at iso 50 not 25.
Hopefully Jules will chime in. He has more time with that film shooting IR than I do.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fish4570 wrote:
You guys are a trip. Laughing
No love for Fomapan/Arista EDU?

+1 for Fomapan.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear what you say about Tri-X. I had the same issue, so swapped to HP5 and it's better.

Foma 100 seems ok and nothing like Tri-X. For scans, as I've said before, I cannot tell it from FP4.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have some experience with Rollei Retro 80s and R3 - but can't make them flat. Ilford delta 100 is much better in terms of flatness ... and the tones are better.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Arista premium 400/tri-X retained a shallow curl, and on the epson carrier flattens a good bit. The negatives look wonderful to me, so i may jusy have to live with some curl ...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as I cut the AP400/Tri-X to six frame lengths the uncurl to near flat in the papere envelopes I use that are a mm longer than six frames.
The Acros 100 cures near perfectly flat ...