Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Elisa, larger images
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:31 pm    Post subject: Elisa, larger images Reply with quote

Old 5D and Contax Planar 2/135 MMG:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unusual comp in the first photo, very original. I think it would be great in
B&W as well. Love the lighting and her expression in the 2nd, beautiful hair and perfect exposure!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bill.
I always make composition with women's legs, I did a couple of good ones with Anna too. In this case I found the lines just magic and took the photo immediately. Yes it's wide open (as you asked in your original comment), I really had no choice because I found out that there is a 1975 law that says that if you have a Planar 2/135 and do not use it wide open to take advantage of it's bokeh, it's considered national crime! Laughing
In this specific image, I find that the bokeh and the colours convey an atmosphere that is a bit reminscent of the old autochromes. For this reason I did leave it in colour. I thought of B&W too, but somehow I found that it was losing something.

I am also super happy of the second photo - well the first photo is more "personal" of course, more like my own aesthetical vision, the second photo is a classic glamour pose, but, it doesn't need just that, you also have to make it right, don't you? Laughing
I maybe immodestly think that this photo shows that a 135mm is not obsolete for portraits as many say. Of course, it must be one of the best 135mm lenses. And I think I've got the best ot them all Wink

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no doubt your 135 is the best, but I think subject matter lends a
certain synergism to the photo as well. Wink Smile

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:
I have no doubt your 135 is the best, but I think subject matter lends a
certain synergism to the photo as well. Wink Smile

Yes, I suspect that also. Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another one, taken with the Planar 2/100 Contax MMG:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first one is top !
Congrats. Smile

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First one Laughing Laughing WOW,WOOOOW

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great series, superb portrait with the 135!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you guys, here's another portrait with Planar 135 wide open:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Another one, taken with the Planar 2/100 Contax MMG:

Really like this, 'the faint half-flush, that dies along her throat'*...Wyeth,
I think you found your Helga! Wink Smile

* from My Last Duchess, Robert Browning

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who says 135's are obsolete?

Middle two look best for me and they seem a little sharper?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys.

Martin, yes, the middle two are sharper, because they are not wide open.
In fact, the other two are not much unsharp in the focus point, but the focus area is really narrow, because at the very short distance I took them, a 135mm f/2 really blurs fast as soon as you go OOF.

About the 135mm lens, there is people who think that the 135mm is an obsolete focal lenght, and that most people today prefers to portrait at 85 to 100 mm.
In fact, there are not many new 135mm lenses produced recently. Even the autofocus ones like the Canon seem to be quite aged.
In the past instead 135mm was a more popular focal lenght than 85-90mm, mainly because it was cheaper to produce, so especially in the cheap section of the market you find a lot of 135mm lenses, and a lot less shorter teles.
So in the 50s and 60s you have a lot of cheap Tessar-likes and Sonnar-likes 135mm teles with slow apertures such as f/4.5, f/4 or f/3.5
In the 70s there was the "boom peak" of the fast 135mm lenses, such as this one Planar, and the ones from Nikon, Canon, etc.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One from Planar 1.4/85 Contax (stopped down around f/2.8 or f/4):

On a side note: it took me half an hour to "iron out" digitally the bad rides in the fabric background. After three days of workshop it was in a really quite bad state. Conclusion? If I had to build my own studio, I will get paper backgrounds, absolutely. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

#1 - You missed the focus again or on purpose. Hard to tell. The focus is on her left foot. As a composition is the best.
#5 and #3, have standard colors on my screen, while #4 has that yellowish tinge.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Himself wrote:
#1 - You missed the focus again or on purpose. Hard to tell. The focus is on her left foot. As a composition is the best.
#5 and #3, have standard colors on my screen, while #4 has that yellowish tinge.

hi Sorin
I don't understand your remark about picture #1. There is no foot there, only legs. I focused on her panties and everything (focus, wide open blur) was intentional Wink
Reg. #4, the golden cast is also intentional.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mea culpa, I meant leg.
That's why I said that would be hard to tell whether you did it on purpose or not.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It had to be done this way. If I did it at f/8 with full DOF and details, it would have been, like, a butcher shot? Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
a butcher shot? Laughing

In my book, butcher shots like that one are welcome. Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet legs! Smile

(Planar 1.4/85 Contax)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Sweet legs!

wow! this series is getting better than the "squirrel of the day"
keep them coming Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your wish is my command! Very Happy

Sweet everything: Wink

(Planar 1.4/85 Contax)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Sweet everything

you keep all the best ones for the end Smile
I like all the Planar 1.4/85 pics

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:

I like all the Planar 1.4/85 pics

Me too Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To help the girl with her portfolio (and help myself with mine, also), here's a grungy one:

For those who think that I'm a boring purist: I betcha thought I couldn't do it! Twisted Evil

(P.S.: Planar 1.2/85 Contax 50 Years series, wide open or f/2 I can't remember)