Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Canon FD lenses, put to new use :)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:40 pm    Post subject: Canon FD lenses, put to new use :) Reply with quote

I have posted a few times about my FD lens collection, which I use on my Pany G1. I recently bought a Canon F1n, which I really like, but film is so ridiculously expensive. So, I just bought a Kodak DCS Pro 14N. I have just finished converting the Nikon F-mount to Canon FD, so now I have the only full-frame FD-mount DSLR!

Here's a picture of the open camera with a Tokina ATX 90mm F2.5 attached. If anyone is interested, I can post some test shots here with my FD collection. The whole project was pretty cheap; 250 euro for the camera, and about 8 hours of work. The process is shown on my website. http://www.ngen.us/full-frame-fd-mount-dslr

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome project!

Looking forward for the first sample pictures.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds exciting. Do post some photos taken with this modified FD DSLR.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Hats off! Well done!
I'd love to see some shots.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent work. That cam looks like it's seen some serious use and now has a new lease of life.
I'd forgotten they had a decent pixel count.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant idea! Cool

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats for your great job! I wish to see more details if possible how did you make it.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a neat project -- I've several FD lenses lying around. Hmmm, there's that D50 in the drawer ...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Impressive motivation !

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That certainly is impressive! Shocked

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shots! Shots!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What an interesting idea! You've got my attention.

Might I request a couple of additional items? A couple of times you refer to "sharp pliers." Could you provide us with a photo to show us what you mean by "sharp pliers?" And also, when it comes to the important stuff -- fixing the mount and making sure its' the right distance from the sensor plane, I don't see any photos of this process. Would it be possible for you to show some shots of exactly how you fixed the mount?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never saw like this before. Cool. But I converted my FDs to eos Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

***but film is so ridiculously expensive***

Rolling Eyes Then you say "The whole project was pretty cheap; 250 euro for the camera" Shocked Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I think 250 Euro for a working 24x36 mm DSLR is pretty cheap Smile
Great Idea - I love such pioneer work!
Have to add your site on my DIY directrory
http://4photos.de/camera-diy/index-en.html

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I have taken some test shots with my 85mm F1.2, and posted a bit more on the construction of the camera. https://sites.google.com/site/dnhkng/full-frame-fd-mount-dslr-2-2

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is incredible.

I wish I had the balls and skills to do that.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disaster Sad

just after I took those pictures, I small piece of metal fell into the shutter system. As I was fishing it out, a spring broke Sad Totally my fault, and very depressing, as I had just finished the whole project.

I have stripped the camera apart, but I don't know how the spring fits back in, or how the shutter mechanism works... The camera is functionally dead, unless I can work the spring back in somehow.

If anyone has the service manual for this camera, please post it!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bummer! Well, according to a google search I just conducted, that Kodak is based on the Nikon F80/N80 SLR. Now, I'm thinking that the mirror box assembly is not going to be any different between the Kodak and the Nikon. So, you want to look for a repair manual -- or an exploded drawing -- of the F80/N80. I just did a bit of googling, and didn't find any free downloadabple pdfs of a repair manual for the N80/F80, but I did find a few listings that want you to register before you can d/l it. I wasn't gonna mess with registering, but I'd recommend you google 'nikon n80 "repair manual"' (or F80) and see what happens.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After I made that last post, I actually found the n80 service manual and parts list. I will try reassembling the camera today, but the spring was badly mangled.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any idea how the spring got so badly mangled? (So if anyone here decides to duplicate your mod, they can maybe avoid this problem.)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL, no, there are no problem doing the modification. However, being an idiot and dropping a piece of aluminum into the shutter mechanism can cause serious problems for a Kodak DCS 14N.