Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Adapter for Nikon F-Lenses to Contax/Kiev RF or Nikon RF
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:19 pm    Post subject: Adapter for Nikon F-Lenses to Contax/Kiev RF or Nikon RF Reply with quote

Hello,

I'm new here and have a question. I have some Nikon SLR bodies with manual Nikon F-mount lenses. Now I got a Kiev 4 which is a copy of a former Contax rangefinder. Are there any adapters to mount Nikon F-lenses to Contax/Kiev RF? The mount is identical with the Nikon S-mount (RF), but there is an incompatibility with focussing but this is no problem with wide angle lenses. Thank You. Smile

Rainer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome!

Problem is not really mount, problem is huge film register difference. Even if you can mount it working distance from subject will be not more than 30-40cm or less. Nikon worst body from all SLR to mount other lenses than Nikon. If you would like to try many lenses , buy a more compatible body.

Canon, 4/3 , micro 4/3 , Sony Nex etc. Mirror less bodies are most compatible ones.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila I think you misunderstood. Rainer is asking if there are adapters to mount Nikkor lenses on Kiev body.
Rainer, I don't know, but like always google and Ebay search are your friends. Punt in search field " Nikkor Kiev" and see what comes up. I foresee a big problem however, the lenses will not be rangefinder coupled, so you will have to focus using a separate viewfinder or guesstimate, and the scale on the lens (which may or may not prove faithful depending on the adapter).

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, thanks I didn't understood well. I never seen such a similar adapter.

RF guys rare or never want to use SLR lens on their RF body.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be possible by register distance - but rangefinder focusing would only be possible for lenses with around 52mm focal length, as that is what the internal helicoid is designed for. As the real focal length of SLR lenses is mostly unknown and normals are about the only lens there is no lack of in the Contax/Kiev/Nikon RF universe, nobody ever has bothered to make such an adapter.

Corresponding adapters seem to exist for Leica M mount, where they are a bit more justified given the existence of three digital M mount bodies, but even these are rare niche products I've never personally seen.

The Nikon RF mount is entirely different from Nikon F - these two are not mutually exchangeable, and never were. Nikon RF is almost the same as Contax, but it has a different angular progression, and a different base focal length. Wides are interchangeable between Nikon RF and Contax, but normals and long lenses have considerable front/back focus at the near end.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your answers. I found out, that there are two Voigtlander ultra wide lenses 12/5.6 and 15/4.5 for Nikon F, useable with mirror-lock-up. For this lenses Voigtlander sold an adapter (FS-adapter) for use at Nikon rangefinder. This adapter should fit for Other Nikkor lenses too. But its very hard to find and very expensive.
There was a discussion at rangefinder.com http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42351

I think it would be easier to look for directly fitting jupiter lenses

Rainer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hofmannra wrote:
I think it would be easier to look for directly fitting jupiter lenses

Yes, if you don't want to play with carboard and tape. Wink Smile
http://forum.mflenses.com/kiev-4-repair-and-modification-t10652.html